• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vedic Scriptures and alcohol...

krishnano

I never liked beer, but do you all know anything about what does our Vedic Faith have to say about alcohol?

Gaudiya Vaishnavas who are strict do not drink any alcohol or caffeine. That being said, I just tried my first Beck's Non-Alcoholic beer (0.0%!), and it's not that bad (as well as Holsten's, which tastes quite watery...). I tried alcoholic beer years ago and did not like it at all for its strong bitter taste... but Beck's wasn't too bad! ;) It's actually for my roomie, whom I know loved drinking beer before he took to Krishna Consciousness.

I know that intoxication is one of the leading forms of spiritual self-extermination in Kali Yuga, but other than that, are there any shastric references to alcohol?

Radhe Radhe!

Tantra has some Sadhanas that use alcohol. If you have to do an hour and a half puja to drink a glass of wine it would be hard be an active alcoholic.

krishnano

But there must be some scriptural things about alcoholism and its detrimental effects... I know that there is a pastime when Balarama got drunk from consuming intoxicating honey... :D