• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vedic mantras with 10 syllables

Shrew

Can someone tell me what is the correct rhythm to recite this shloka?

bṛhaspate ati yadaryo arhād
dyuma dvibhāti kratum ajjaneṣu
yad dīdayac chavasarta prajāta
tadasmasu draviṇaṁ dhehi citram

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No luck. Has the mantra not been recited in the available videos? Perhaps Atanu or Shivasomashkhar will know.

atanu

Premium Member

I think only the Sama Veda followers can help us on the correct singing of this Vedic mantra. But for us, simple recitation (or as instructed by a teacher) should do. One example is given below -- go exactly to 2.11 minute. Overall it is not a good recitation.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I recorded it in voice memos as I read it. It may or may not be right, but either way, I don’t know how to upload a voice memo. I can try making a YT video. :shrug: Then someone can tell me how it sounds.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, let’s try this. Please be gentle. I’m no Vedic scholar or pandit. :D I stumbled a bit because I only read this a few time. My accent probably sucks.

shivsomashekhar

This is a Rig Vedic prayer to Brhaspati and the accents are captured correctly. But you have to hear Rig Vedic chants to be able to repeat them. There may be online videos that may be of help.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
But you have to hear Rig Vedic chants to be able to repeat them.

Yep, because everything was transmitted orally. I was blown away when I heard a group of preteens and early teens In temple chant the Sri Vishnu Sasharanama in perfect unison, from memory, without missing a beat. Incredible.