• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vedantins,how do you view Grama Devatas and other local deities?

Tyaga

Na Asat
Namaste,

I would like to know the Vedantic POV on Grama Devatas and other local deities.It is needless to say that in many states of India,there are local deities which are worshipped in non-Vedic and non-Agamic-Tantric way.These deities are worshipped according to the local tradition.This includes tribal Adivasi deities.

Now,here is my question,do the Vedantins view these local deities as manifestations of Brahman as well?

Regards,
A.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I'm neutral, to be honest.

Since they are on such a small scale, I don't think I'll ever fully know about the vast amounts of unknown local deities and, by extension, they don't affect my practice.

As long as it brings no harm to the self or others, let people worship as they please.

Tyaga

Na Asat
I'm neutral, to be honest.

Since they are on such a small scale, I don't think I'll ever fully know about the vast amounts of unknown local deities and, by extension, they don't affect my practice.

As long as it brings no harm to the self or others, let people worship as they please.

Namaste,so if you come across a local village or forest deity which has no connection with mainstream Hindu pantheon,would you still worship that particular deity as a manifestation of Brahman?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Tyāga;3812598 said:
Namaste,so if you come across a local village or forest deity which has no connection with mainstream Hindu pantheon,would you still worship that particular deity as a manifestation of Brahman?

If I were in a local village and saw that the villagers where performing puja for an unrelated deity, it would not bother me if I showed respect for the custom, or even partake in it. I'm sure that Brahman nor the Devas would mind very much. :)

Then again, I have some universalist tendencies, so perhaps I'm a bit biased.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Since they are on such a small scale, ..
No. They are not on a small scale. A vast number (that could mean a few hundred million in India out of a population of a billion Hindus) worship Gram-devatas and devis. The deities number in thousands. Since they are Hindus, I will respect their traditions and their deities, even if personally I am an atheist advaitist.

Dhari Devi (Goddess of the wave/current), her old temple, and the new under-construction temple on top of the old temple. This is necessitated because of an under-construction dam will submerge the old temple. Last year's floods in Uttarkhand in which about 5000 people died are supposed to be because of her displeasure as her idol was moved.

June-24_dhari-devi-1.jpg
dhari.jpg
dhara-dev-2_350_062613110317.jpg

Other nearby local deities: Chandrabadani Devi (Goddess with a body as beautiful as the moon), Surkanda Devi.

chandarbadni.jpg
surkanda-devi-temple-4.jpg

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
No. They are not on a small scale. A vast number (that means a few hundreds of millions in India out of a population of a billion Hindus) worship Gram-devatas and devis. The deities number in thousands. Since they are Hindus, I will respect their traditions and their deities, even if personally I am an atheist advaitist.

Dhari Devi (Goddess of the wave/current) and her under-construction temple on top of the old temple. This is necessitated because of an under-construction dam will submerge the old temple. Last year's floods in Uttarkhand are supposed to be because of her displeasure as her idol was moved.

Touche. I guess I used the wrong phrasing.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
First and foremost, I would like to offer my deepest gratitudes to the OP for creating this thread in the proper DIR (unlike a recent thread, though wonderful in its discussion ... is in the wrong place).

Secondly, I would like to give a warm shoutout to Aup for defending the creme de la creme that is folk Hinduism. My salutations and pranam-s to the countless Kuldeva-s and Kuldevi-s of various Hindu tribes.​

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm only a Vedantist at some ultimate level so probably sticking my nose where it's not wanted, ... but since I view God and devas as real as people, it would seem no different than honoring a guest. Guardian devas, mostly, I suspect.

Tyaga

Na Asat
First and foremost, I would like to offer my deepest gratitudes to the OP for creating this thread in the proper DIR (unlike a recent thread, though wonderful in its discussion ... is in the wrong place).

Thanks mate :)

Maya3

Definitely. Everything is a manifestation so it can be anything.
It´s your feeling towards the object that matters.
Last summer I came across a small Totem Pole by the sea in California. People had put coins and flowers in cracks in the wood. It was beautiful and to me it felt like there was an energy there.
As for local Indian Murtis, I feel the same about them.

Maya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Murta - the word itself means something which is not an object but has become one - that is 'murti'. Murti is only a representation. With consecration, it becomes alive for a person or persons. (a desk top user using a lap-top, not very comfortable for me, so kindly guess my meaning)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Definitely. Everything is a manifestation so it can be anything.
It´s your feeling towards the object that matters.
Last summer I came across a small Totem Pole by the sea in California. People had put coins and flowers in cracks in the wood. It was beautiful and to me it felt like there was an energy there.
As for local Indian Murtis, I feel the same about them.

Maya

Some of those local holy sites hold a ton of energy.

Tyaga

Na Asat
Namaste,this is another question i would like to ask about Folk Hinduism.This has nothing to do with Vedanta,but since this thread is also about folk deities,i would put my query right in this very thread.I would like to know,should we consider non Vedic & non Agamic-Tantric Folk and tribal Hinduism as Astika sects?Or should we consider it as Nastika,since many of the local folk tradition does not believe in the authority of the Vedas?

A.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
IMHO, they are very much astikas anf Hindu, though not Vedic; but please remember, so are Shiva, Durga, Ganesha, Kartikeya, Hanuman, and so many others.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Tyāga;3820253 said:
Namaste,this is another question i would like to ask about Folk Hinduism.This has nothing to do with Vedanta,but since this thread is also about folk deities,i would put my query right in this very thread.I would like to know,should we consider non Vedic & non Agamic-Tantric Folk and tribal Hinduism as Astika sects?Or should we consider it as Nastika,since many of the local folk tradition does not believe in the authority of the Vedas?

A.

Folk Hinduism is given a lot of leeway when it comes to abiding by the Law of Shruti, understandably and rightly so. In terms of Indological conjecture, "Vedicism" was actually of the fringe, never mainstream, of a select few only. And before their Vedic unifying solidification, even the "Vedic gods" were most likely of tribal/folk orientation. I guess what I am trying to say is ... I can give up the Veda-s, the Brahmana-s, various Purana-s, and my beloved Jaimini Sutra ... but I can never give up my Kuldevi-s and Kuldeva-s.

Tyaga

Na Asat
And before their Vedic unifying solidification, even the "Vedic gods" were most likely of tribal/folk orientation.

Yes, ineed.This is exactly the argumemt which Koenraad Elst makes.Certain evangelists and missionaries try to claim these local deities as non-Hindu.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, the Aryans tribes (Panchajanas and others) merged into Hindus, lock, stock, and barrel. How can they be separated after, say, 5000 years of intermingling? If Sage Vedavyasa had an Aryan father, he had an indigenous mother (Parashara and Satyavati).