• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vatican Rules That Transgender People Cannot Be Godparents

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
More judgmental ignorance:

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/09/03/3698568/vatican-transgender-godfather/

According to the Religion News Service, the Vatican handed down their ruling this week. It concluded that “transsexual behavior itself reveals, in a public manner, an attitude opposite to the moral imperative of solving the problem of sexual identity according to the truth of one’s own sexuality.
Huh? What does that even mean and how exactly does that pertain to transsexuals? We know who we are and we are living according to the truth our own sexuality. (Although sexuality - as in sexual orientation - is actually a separate issue.)

They don't even understand what transsexualism is, as a medical condition. The Vatican really needs to brush up on scientific findings in regards to this issue and issues like it. It's not making a bit of sense.

And the "fruit" of their ignorance is results like these:
Salinas, however, is not convinced. He posted his response to the Vatican’s ruling on Facebook, saying he felt “disgust, anger, sadness, [and] anger.” He also announced that his sister had decided not to baptize his nephew, because she does not want him to belong to a community “in which they do not want to his own uncle.”
“I don’t want to know any more about or be part of the Church,” he wrote in Spanish. “But I will follow my faith like I truly feel it, with no tenets that prohibit anyone being who they are.”
Good going! Hurting more people and driving them away! :facepalm:

Last edited:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Huh? What does that even mean and how exactly does that pertain to transsexuals? We know who we are and we are living according to the truth our own sexuality. (Although sexuality - as in sexual orientation - is actually a separate issue.)

They don't even understand what transsexualism is, as a medical condition. The Vatican really needs to brush up on scientific findings in regards to this issue and issues like it. It's not making a bit of sense.

And the result of their ignorance is results like these:

Sorry to hear you're being stepped on yet again for who you are, Frank. :( We're here for you if you need to talk.

Kirran

Premium Member
Well, that is a shame. I hope their stance changes in time.

Here in the UK, there are what we call 'High Anglican' or 'Anglo-Catholic' churches within the Church of England. The sister church over there is the Episcopal Church of the United States, do they also have 'Anglo-Catholic' style churches? By this I mean churches where Catholic liturgies and customs are generally followed, but without being beholden to this sort of ruling from the Vatican.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Huh? What does that even mean and how exactly does that pertain to transsexuals?
It means they are idiots and don't even know that sexual orientation/sexuality is a completely and entirely different thing from gender identity.On the other hand, I suspect Francis may have moved things along too fast for the Catholic base, and the rapid rate of change in stances has stirred up conservative sentiments and those wanting to cling onto tradition. But, regardless, they are just as obviously wrong about the issue as a YEC trying to discuss geology and biology or the average American trying to discuss communism.
By this I mean churches where Catholic liturgies and customs are generally followed, but without being beholden to this sort of ruling from the Vatican.
Yeah, we have them, and over here there is a tendency, especially among Catholics, to refer to Episcopalians as "pissed off Catholics."

Skwim

Veteran Member
Is anyone really surprised?

Just read its reasoning:

According to the Religion News Service, the Vatican handed down their ruling this week. It concluded that “transsexual behavior itself reveals, in a public manner, an attitude opposite to the moral imperative of solving the problem of sexual identity according to the truth of one’s own sexuality.”

“It is clear that this person does not meet the requirement of carrying out a life conforming to the faith and the position of godfather,” the statement read. It later added, “Discrimination is not to be seen in this, but only recognition of an objective lack of the requisites that by their own nature are necessary to take over the ecclesial responsibility of being a godparent.”

Source: Linked OP article

Pretty standard Catholic rational if you ask me, and even if you don't ask me..

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

And the "fruit" of their ignorance is results like these:

Sometimes I feel sorry for both of our denominations.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The vatican? Science?
Always the joker, SF ;)
The Church actually has a long history of being a patron of the sciences. There's the Vatican Observatory and the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, which are pretty prestigious. So I expect a lot better. The Vatican is stuck way in the past when it comes to its understanding of both sexuality and sex/gender issues. The moral teachings, based on Aristotelian natural law theory, don't even have anything to say about intersex people, as if they don't exist. It's a mess and the whole thing needs to be rethought.

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Lest we forget, the Vatican, specifically the Pope, God's very infallible emissary upon this planet, no one whom could be closer to God's thoughts..

Declared this;

capybara-family_15762686447_f9f8a0684a_o.jpg

Was a fish.

At least with a whale you could argue it lived its entire life in the water.

That is a giant ****ing mouse. It's not anything else. It doesn't even have a beaver's tail or other excess, bargain-basement parts like you'd see with a Platypus or Echidna.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Lest we forget, the Vatican, specifically the Pope, God's very infallible emissary upon this planet, no one whom could be closer to God's thoughts..

Declared this;

capybara-family_15762686447_f9f8a0684a_o.jpg

Was a fish.

At least with a whale you could argue it lived its entire life in the water.

That is a giant ****ing mouse. It's not anything else. It doesn't even have a beaver's tail or other excess, bargain-basement parts like you'd see with a Platypus or Echidna.
???????????

Skwim

Veteran Member
The Church actually has a long history of being a patron of the sciences.
Both a patron and an "executioner."

There's the Vatican Observatory and the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, which are pretty prestigious.
Then there was the banning of the works of Nicholas Copernicus and Galileo Galilei, plus the trial of Galileo by the Inquisition. And the Condemnations of 1210-1277 of the physical treatises of Aristotle. But all in all the Catholic church as supported the sciences, even actively so, which is more than one can say for some of the protestant denominations.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Both a patron and an "executioner."

Then there was the banning of the works of Nicholas Copernicus and Galileo Galilei, plus the trial of Galileo by the Inquisition. And the Condemnations of 1210-1277 of the physical treatises of Aristotle. But all in all the Catholic church as supported the sciences, even actively so, which is more than one can say for some of the protestant denominations.
Yeah, I know. Let's not derail the thread.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The vatican? Science?
Always the joker, SF ;)
Actually the Vatican isn't necessarily the fool when it comes to science. There is this in the OP, and they still do exorcisms, but they accept evolution, they accept the Earth is just a tiny spec in the vast ocean of stars that is billions of years old, and they are on board with modern science in general. The Vatican may at one time have been the bane of scientific progress, but those days are long over.