• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vatican Pontifical Academy For Life issues statement Supreme Court abortion decision

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Of course. There are lots of women here who enjoy promiscuity and see men only as erotic preys.
But, since sex is almost like a mission to them, they go well equipped on this mission. Because their goal is to enjoy sex. Not to get pregnant.

Er, where is that exactly? Is there an airport near? ;)

Alien826

No religious beliefs
If this...if that...
Piffle!
We cannot assume that people will behave differently
from what they're bound to do. Public policy must take
human nature into account. If we assumed that all
people would just be good, responsible, intelligent, tolerant,
chaste, god fearing, & fully aware of consequences of all
actions, then laws could be strict with severe punishment.
But laws must apply to humans. And they are a mess.

Off topic maybe, but I would think in that case no laws would be required at all. Guidelines would suffice.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why do you post lies over and over?

The Church has over 400,000 priests and a 2.2 billion members. There will be some actively gay creeps in any group that big. That happened to the Church but it is slowly purging these people from the ministry.

That doesn't make the organization criminal any more than OJ Simpson makes black people murderers.
It's not a lie. The Vatican took in child rapists, shielded and protected them from the laws of the real countries, blamed the victims and everything but the rapists,
And seriously screw you for saying "gay creeps." I didn't say gay creeps. I said child rapists because that's what those human pieces of **** are. They aren't gay. That is something entirely different. They are child rapists, the absolute lowest of scum.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Vatican issued a statement praising the U.S. Supreme Court decision in the Dobbs case which overturned Roe v. Wade.

US Supreme Court Abortion
That is not from the Vatican as a whole but is a sub-group:
Founded in 1994, the Academy is dedicated to "study, information and formation on the principal problems of biomedicine and of law, relative to the promotion and defense of life, above all in the direct relation that they have with Christian morality and the directives of the Church's Magisterium".[1]

Though the Academy is considered an autonomous entity, it is linked to the Pontifical Council for Pastoral Assistance to Health Care Workers and various other dicasteries of the Roman Curia. -
- Pontifical Academy for Life - Wikipedia

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That is not from the Vatican as a whole but is a sub-group:
Founded in 1994, the Academy is dedicated to "study, information and formation on the principal problems of biomedicine and of law, relative to the promotion and defense of life, above all in the direct relation that they have with Christian morality and the directives of the Church's Magisterium".[1]

Though the Academy is considered an autonomous entity, it is linked to the Pontifical Council for Pastoral Assistance to Health Care Workers and various other dicasteries of the Roman Curia. -
- Pontifical Academy for Life - Wikipedia

The academy is Vatican territory. It is not within the Italian Republic. So, since Vatican City is an absolute monarchy, this academy is necessarily and juridically supposed to implement the Vatican's stance.
The official stance of the Holy See.

And by the way, it perfectly reflects Pope Francis' stance.

Last edited:

metis

The academy is Vatican territory. It is not within the Italian Republic. So, since Vatican City is an absolute monarchy, this academy is necessarily and juridically to implement the Vatican's stance.
The official stance of the Holy See.

And by the way, it perfectly reflects Pope Francis' stance.
I was just explaining that it is a sub-group, plus we have yet to hear from PF on this. But I would assume it's likely he will concur, but with Pope Francis, you never know.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I was just explaining that it is a sub-group, plus we have yet to hear from PF on this. But I would assume it's likely he will concur, but with Pope Francis, you never know.
As a Catholic, what do you think of other Catholics approving of late term abortions?:)

metis

As a Catholic, what do you think of other Catholics approving of late term abortions?:)
Depends on the circumstances, and my understanding is that most deal with the woman having a serious medical problem:

Late termination of pregnancy (also referred to as late-term abortion)[2] describes the termination of pregnancy by induced abortion during a late stage of gestation.[3] "Late", in this context, is not precisely defined, and different medical publications use varying gestational age thresholds.[3] In 2015 in the United States, about 1.3% of abortions took place after the 21st week,[4] and less than 1% occur after 24 weeks.[5]

Reasons for late terminations of pregnancy include circumstances where a pregnant woman's health is at risk or when lethal fetal abnormalities have been detected.[6][7]...
-- Late termination of pregnancy - Wikipedia

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Depends on the circumstances, and my understanding is that most deal with the woman having a serious medical problem:

Late termination of pregnancy (also referred to as late-term abortion)[2] describes the termination of pregnancy by induced abortion during a late stage of gestation.[3] "Late", in this context, is not precisely defined, and different medical publications use varying gestational age thresholds.[3] In 2015 in the United States, about 1.3% of abortions took place after the 21st week,[4] and less than 1% occur after 24 weeks.[5]

Reasons for late terminations of pregnancy include circumstances where a pregnant woman's health is at risk or when lethal fetal abnormalities have been detected.[6][7]...
-- Late termination of pregnancy - Wikipedia
I am speaking of abortions after the 18th-21st week of perfectly healthy babies carried by perfectly healthy mothers.
What do you think of them as a Catholic?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
There will be some actively gay creeps in any group that big.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks that you've lost all credibility to accuse people of bigotry for criticizing the Catholic Church for its sex abuse scandal when you use the phrase "gay creeps." I think that you've shown your personal bigotry against homosexuals by using a blatantly derogatory term like "gay creeps." That's not the kind of language that illustrates loving your neighbor as yourself.

metis

I am speaking of abortions after the 18th-21st week of perfectly healthy babies carried by perfectly healthy mothers.
What do you think of them as a Catholic?
I am pro-life on this and basically all matters, so I would highly recommend that she have the baby and then let her decide from there. But what I won't do is to try and have my position be used as a manifestation of a theocracy, especially since a clear majority of Americans did not want Roe v Wade overturned.

IOW, imo, the ends do not justify the means.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I am pro-life on this and basically all matters, so I would highly recommend that she have the baby and then let her decide from there. But what I won't do is to try and have my position be used as a manifestation of a theocracy, especially since a clear majority of Americans did not want Roe v Wade overturned.

IOW, imo, the ends do not justify the means.

I would like to make you understand that my country (that you know very well :)) rejects theocracy and the separation of Church and State is a constitutional dogma. And whoever betrays this dogma, betrays the State. A politician can be accused of High Treason, if he does.
Because the Church is alien to us, and we are supposed to be loyal to the Republic.

What does it mean? That the law about abortion was passed, despite the RCC's condemnation. And this is the evidence of this separation. And this separation will go even further because euthanasia is slowly being de-criminalized (as the Cappato case shows).

As for late term abortions, it is not religion that makes it abhorrent. It is the principle of ius naturale . The very secular juridical science called Bioethics. Which is taught in law schools too.
After the 15th week, a perfectly healthy child cannot be aborted in Italy.
And not because of what the Church says (the Church condemns any abortion).
But because the foetus starts being sentient.

So I am sorry. I am deeply sorry. I cannot empathize with those Catholics who okay late term abortion of perfectly healthy children.

metis

So I am sorry. I am deeply sorry. I cannot empathize with those Catholics who okay late term abortion of perfectly healthy children.
Neither can I, which is also why I strongly feel that there should be limitations on abortions unless the mother's health is in jeopardy.

And, again, I never stated nor implied that I supported abortion, although I reluctantly do if there is a severe threat to a woman's health. Remember, I am pro-life across the board.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Neither can I, which is also why I strongly feel that there should be limitations on abortions unless the mother's health is in jeopardy.

And, again, I never stated nor implied that I supported abortion, although I reluctantly do if there is a severe threat to a woman's health. Remember, I am pro-life across the board.
I do know, I did not mean you.:)