• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vatican Pontifical Academy For Life issues statement Supreme Court abortion decision

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's difficult to say who is the "staunchest".
But it's clear that Catholics aren't alone in
wanting more theocracy.

Since this is an Interfaith Discussion thread, I believe that the RCC has the right to express its own views on abortion and abortion laws.
As well as other Churches or denominations.

That said the secular state will follow other patterns, more based upon ius naturale.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Since this is an Interfaith Discussion thread, I believe that the RCC has the right to express its own views on abortion and abortion laws.
As well as other Churches or denominations.

That said the secular state will follow other patterns, more based upon ius naturale.
I don't see anyone challenging the church's
right to speak. But its moral authority....that's
another matter.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
But its moral authority....that's
another matter.
Moral authority which so many politicians lack. So I guess it is not that sensible to go there.;)
It is like trying to see the speck of dust in the religious field, while ignoring the log in the lay, secular one.
Matthew 7:3

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Moral authority which so many politicians lack. So I guess it is not that sensible to go there.;)
It is like trying to see the speck of dust in the religious field, while ignoring the log in the lay, secular one.
Matthew 7:3
I say go there.
Many lack moral authority, not just religious leaders,
eg, justices who lied (IMO) during confirmation testimony.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I say go there.
Many lack moral authority, not just religious leaders,
eg, justices who lied (IMO) during confirmation testimony.
Since this is a religious thread and not a political one, I need to say as a Christian that abortion is wrong.
:) Religiously speaking.
And so the RCC or any other Christian Church is entitled to express my very same stance.
Because there surely are impeccable and sinless Christian Churches out there, who express the same stance as the RCC, so the finger pointing at the moon is irrelevant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Since this is a religious thread and not a political one, I need to say as a Christian that abortion is wrong.
:) Religiously speaking.
And so the RCC or any other Christian Church is entitled to express my very same stance.
Because there surely are impeccable and sinless Christian Churches out there, who express the same stance as the RCC, so the finger pointing at the moon is irrelevant.
I'll point anyway.
I loathe being lectured about sin
by those who fervently commit it.
It doesn't advance any argument,
but it's fun.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You really need to ask?
I'm a fire breathing, God hating, sin loving, heathen.
I don't know their position, BTW.
That's why in a secular states there are lots of jurists who probably find abortion very bad, but they still defend it to enable every woman to choose, on the basis of their own religious, moral, philosophical convictions.:)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's why in a secular states there are lots of jurists who probably find abortion very bad, but they still defend it to enable every woman to choose, on the basis of their own religious, moral, philosophical convictions.:)
We're not fully secular here...yet.

exchemist

Veteran Member
What it does is to restate its position on pro-life. All the Court did was anti-abortion alone.

It is a question of developing political choices that promote conditions of existence in favor of life without falling into a priori ideological positions. This also means ensuring adequate sexual education, guaranteeing health care accessible to all and preparing legislative measures to protect the family and motherhood, overcoming existing inequalities. We need solid assistance to mothers, couples and the unborn child that involves the whole community, encouraging the possibility for mothers in difficulty to carry on with the pregnancy and to entrust the child to those who can guarantee the child’s growth.
Hmm, the deafening silence in that passage being, of course, the absence of support for contraception as a means of obviating the horrible choice of whether or not to have an abortion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hmm, the deafening silence in that passage being, of course, the absence of support for contraception as a means of obviating the horrible choice of whether or not to have an abortion.
Contraception is a sin, of course.
I wonder what the future holds for the right to that?
6 Catholics out of 9 justices being able to tell all
the rest of us what rights we have is troubling.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

It seems to me that that document implicitly suppports contraception to avoid unwanted pregnancies.

This also means ensuring adequate sexual education, guaranteeing health care accessible to all and preparing legislative measures to protect the family and motherhood, overcoming existing inequalities. We need solid assistance to mothers, couples and the unborn child that involves the whole community, encouraging the possibility for mothers in difficulty to carry on with the pregnancy and to entrust the child to those who can guarantee the child’s growth.

Last edited:

pearl

I recently read that before becoming pope, John Paul I considered contraceptives, but then Paul V6 handed down 'Humane vitae'. The only birth control accepted by the church is abstaining during ovulation.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I recently read that before becoming pope, John Paul I considered contraceptives, but then Paul V6 handed down 'Humane vitae'. The only birth control accepted by the church is abstaining during ovulation.
...and don't we all know it. This is the ridiculous position the Catholic church finds itself in: the best way by far to avoid the need for abortions is widespread and effective contraception. So the teaching of the church - and hence the reluctance of schools with a Catholic ethos to teach the importance of effective contraception in sex education - results in more abortions!

pearl

...So the teaching of the church - and hence the reluctance of schools with a Catholic ethos to teach the importance of effective contraception in sex education - results in more abortions!

But it does raise the curious question, at least for me, would a Catholic so loyal to obeying the Church on no contraception, would commit the greater sin of abortion?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
But it does raise the curious question, at least for me, would a Catholic so loyal to obeying the Church on no contraception, would commit the greater sin of abortion?

At Catechism class I was taught that there are little sins, grave sins and very grave sins.

Contraception cannot be considered a grave sin.
You do not kill anyone by taking the pill.
Abortion surely is.