• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Various kinds of Atheism

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Wouldn't militancy and be a feature of several kinds of atheism, rather than a kind in itself?
And "new atheism? Does it have any unique, definitive features?
I don't know Valjean. I've stuck 'em on the list because they have been proposed.
The thing is, if somebody identifies with one name of another for their kind of atheism, then the title exists.

All I'm doing is acknowledging everybody's ideas.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Don't be so quick to be sure. I'm a nuisance (as you know!!) but am certainly not an anti theist. Although I am anti-certain-religious-beliefs. And anti-certain-non-religious-beliefs.

But mostly just a nuisance.

You, a nuisance? Never!
A few bottles of real Oz lager (not Fosters) and you'll be fine. :D
That's the thing..... with enough bottles of fine Oz lager some folks can actually get to believe anything! That's the trick...... don't preach to Ozzies, just bring the lager.

Done...... full congregations. I've heard about you lot.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
From what I understand, New Atheism is the reinforcement of hard atheism and there are many popular proponents of it in the world, such as Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins.

Ah.... whenever I see Richard Dawkins making a fuss on telly chat programs... I think of other suitable titles for him. And I think that 'Hard-Atheist' has a much better kick to it than 'New-Atheist', but .... hey..... I'm just collecting names here.
:)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There was, for a short time, a movement that called itself atheism+ (atheism plus). But they couldn't agree on what the "plus" should be and so they dissolved.
It's amazing, how even atheism is fracturing in to different cells of thought.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From Rational Wiki:

Weak atheism (sometimes equated with "pragmatic atheism" or "negative atheism") describes the state of living as if no gods exist. It does not require an absolute statement of God's non-existence. The argument is based on the fact that as there is no evidence that gods, spatial teapots or fairies exist, we have no reason to believe in them. This argument could also be classified as extreme agnosticism, or "agnostic atheism" — as it is an acknowledgment of the lack of evidence but acting as if there were no gods.

Pragmatic atheists, however, are frequently reluctant to make outright statements like "Gods (or fairies) do not exist", because of the great difficulties involved in proving the absolute non-existence of anything — the idea that nothing can be proved is held in the philosophy of pyrrhonism. Consequently many pragmatic atheists would argue that the burden of proof does not lie with them to provide evidence against the extraordinary concept that gods exist. They would argue that it is up to the supporters of various religions to provide evidence for the existence of their own deities, and that no argument is necessary on the atheist's part.

Strong atheism (sometimes equated with "theoretical atheism") makes an explicit statement against the existence of gods. Strong atheists would disagree with weak atheists about the inability to disprove the existence of gods. Strong atheism specifically combats religious beliefs and other arguments for belief in some god (or gods), such as Pascal's Wager, and argument from design. These arguments tend to be geared toward demonstrating that the concept of god is logically inconsistent or incoherent in order to actively disprove the existence of a god.[6] Theological noncognitivism, which asserts the meaninglessness of religious language, is an argument commonly invoked by strong atheists.[note 2] In contrast, weak atheist arguments tend to concentrate on the evidence (or lack thereof) for god, while strong atheist arguments tend to concentrate on making a positive case for the non-existence of god.

Apatheism
See the main article on this topic: Apatheism
An apatheist has no interest in accepting or denying claims that a god or gods exist or do not exist. An apatheist considers the very question of the existence or non-existence of gods or other supernatural beings to be irrelevant and not worth consideration under any circumstances.

In short: they simply don't care. (Well, OK, they care enough to give themselves a name — so that people explicitly know what it is they don't care anything about. But that's about it.)

Antitheism
See the main article on this topic: Antitheism
Antitheism is, perhaps surprisingly, technically separate from any and all positions on the existence or non-existence of any given deity. Antitheism simply argues that a given (or all possible) human implementations of religious beliefs, metaphysically "true" or not, lead to results that are harmful and undesirable, either to the adherent, to society, or to both. As justification the antitheists will often point to the incompatibility of religion-based morality with modern humanistic values, or to the atrocities and bloodshed wrought by religion and by religious wars. Religious moderation as compared to religious extremism is an example of theistic anti-theism, also known as dystheism. Dystheism also encompasses questioning the morals even of a deity you believe in, e.g. choosing to obey commandments on nonviolence over calls to violence from God, despite them both being clearly put forward by this alleged giver of all morals.

Post-theism is a form of atheism that doesn't so much reject theism as believe it to be obsolete, that belief in God belongs to a stage of human development now past. The word stems from the Latin post "behind, after, afterward" + Greek theos "god" + -ist.

Though the belief system is independent from organized religions, some post-theists posit a specific religion as formerly useful. A most notable example is Frank Hugh Foster, who in a 1918 lecture announced that modern culture had arrived at a "post-theistic stage" in which humanity has taken possession of the powers of agency and creativity that had formerly been projected upon God. Another instance is Friedrich Nietzsche's declaration that "God is dead."

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Various kinds of Atheism

Well, however they (Atheism) deny:
  1. A-theism presupposes theism
  2. and it fractures their claim of default position/no-position
  3. as long as ism is a part of their name, they are an ism*
  4. so far they have failed to find any suitable name/title/label, they have tried many, but to no avail
  5. they were slack to research and hence they
  6. leapt into the dark pit without knowing of any merit in it
  7. since they took a new position/no-position out of the norm, so the entail the burden of it to prove, but out of slackness they try to shift it on others, but to no avail
  8. they had no justifying methodology of research of their own to prove to the believers that their cause is correct
  9. as a drowning man catches at a straw they favored Scientific Method, while
  10. they could never demonstrate that it ever proved their ism any better
Right?
Those who agree with me, they are welcome to add more points voluntarily, please. Right?
Kindly correct me if I am wrong, please. Right?

Regards

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes, especially as there is only one thought to begin with.
Well, I'm not sure about that

Maybe atheists focus their attention upon particular Gods ..... An 'Abrahamic' atheist might not respond to an Asian who makes mention of some Deity unknown to him.

Have you noticed that some atheists do believe in spirits? That can upset other atheists terribly! One has made mention of this here.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

1. A-theism presupposes theism. How so?An atheist may not even be aware of theism.
  2. and it fractures their claim of default position/no-position. Again, how so? This doesn't make sense.
  3. as long as ism is a part of their name, they are an ism
  4. so far they have failed to find any suitable name/title/label, they have tried many, but to no avail. That may be, but we're open to suggestions. What would you propose?
  5. they were slack to research and hence they. But what hypotheses would they research? Atheists make no claims that could be researched.
  6. leapt into the dark pit without knowing of any merit in it. What dark pit? I never heard of any pit.
  7. since they took a new position/no-position out of the norm, so the entail the burden of it to prove, but out of slackness they try to shift it on others, but to no avail. What are you talking about? What's a "new position out of the norm?" If atheism makes no claim; has no position, what do you expect it to prove? How many times must we explain that it's the one making a claim who must support it?
  8. they had no justifying methodology of research of their own to prove to the believers that their cause is correct. What is it with you? We've explained this to you a dozen times, but questions like this show that you didn't understand anything we said. Atheism makes no claims, so has nothing to prove. We have no cause to prove correct. The only one making any claims is you.
  9. as a drowning man catches at a straw they favored Scientific Method, while
  10. they could never demonstrate that it ever proved their ism any better. We're not using any scientific method, just simple logic. What is this "-ism" you claim we need to prove? What claims are we making.
  11. Kindly correct me if I am wrong, please. Right? You're asking nonsense questions, using false premises and seem to have no idea what atheism is.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Well, I'm not sure about that

Maybe atheists focus their attention upon particular Gods ..... An 'Abrahamic' atheist might not respond to an Asian who makes mention of some Deity unknown to him.

Have you noticed that some atheists do believe in spirits? That can upset other atheists terribly! One has made mention of this here.
Some try the old bait and switch they learned from the Christians. First you get as many as possible by stating that "if the number of gods you believe in is zero, you are an atheist" and when they are hooked the additional demands come up, like not believing in any supernatural thing and being a humanist and revering science.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Various kinds of Atheism
#175 ^.
Can't we sum up nonsense, non-reason and non-methodical and understand it making a definition of Atheism that is neither pegged with Theism nor with ism, please? Right?
Just a suggestion, please. Right?
Regards

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Some try the old bait and switch they learned from the Christians. First you get as many as possible by stating that "if the number of gods you believe in is zero, you are an atheist" and when they are hooked the additional demands come up, like not believing in any supernatural thing and being a humanist and revering science.
That would be fun to respond to.
The number of Gods i believe in is zero but I've been lazy and not bothered to learn who they all are. I'll come back when I've discovered them all, but that'll be a problem because then they will all exist.

This spirits angle..... I know Christians who will get very agitated at mention of spirits, but then there are atheists who get equally agitated but for different reasons.