• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

vaping

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it’s entirely hypocritical. If you were to ban vaping, ban tobacco. That stuff kills arguably a lot more people.
Banning tobacco outright would be problematic. Remember what happened when we banned alcohol?
Luckily, usage seems to be diminishing on its own.
Vaping would be easier to ban, as it's a relatively new phenomena, and still a niche market.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Banning tobacco outright would be problematic. Remember what happened when we banned alcohol?
Vaping would be easier to ban, as it's a relatively new phenomena, and still a niche market.
I agree that it would cause much too many detrimental social side affects. Ala Prohibition. But banning a substitute that may or not be caused by homemade irresponsibility rather than the product itself, just limits the competition for tobacco. Which is an arguably more dangerous substance. I don’t see how this helps anyone.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You can make vape juice at home perfectly safely at home, and I do. Secondly, it's likely the vitamin E oil (which is mostly soybean oil, generally) was used to infuse the THC into the mix -- this similar to using another fat like butter to extract the THC for weed brownies, etc. I'm no expert on their process, but my guess is they were heating the oil with the buds then strained off the sticks and ****. However, there would have been no reason to use anything but plain old vegetable glycerin for this purpose -- a product known to be safe to vape.

My guess is the insecticide contamination was accidental or unintentional, but when you make smoking products you cannot use conventional plant pesticides -- this might have been a rookie mistake. I can't see this being something that was done intentionally, nonetheless.
Hmm.
Reminds me of the old anti smoking ads I used to see as a kid. Talking about the ingredients used in cigarettes. All the chemicals that doubled as pesticides and carcinogenic properties and what have you.
Perhaps vaping is safer overall. Perhaps it just causes different side affects. I don’t know, I’m not qualified to speak on such matters. I don’t smoke and I don’t vape.
Inhaling smoke (including pollution) is probably not going to be the healthiest, regardless.
But if one is an adult, then one can abuse their body however they please. Such is my stance on bodily autonomy.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Not really, it's so easy to make your own... and everything to do so is used as food flavoring, and in other homemade/commercial products. (Fog juice, antifreeze, body oils, and so on.) They're not going to be able to ban that material, so it's laughable to me really.

pearl

It seems to be the oil itself causing a lipoid pneumonia.

That's why the moratorium, hopefully to find so many young and first time users are getting sick and dying. Its interesting that the CEO of Juul was replaced by Tabaco co person.
Juul, which is the main target in several federal investigations, said CEO Kevin Burns will be replaced by K.C. Crosthwaite, an executive from tobacco company Altira. Sep 26 2019

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not really, it's so easy to make your own... and everything to do so is used as food flavoring, and in other homemade/commercial products. (Fog juice, antifreeze, body oils, and so on.) They're not going to be able to ban that material, so it's laughable to me really.
No-one's saying vaping could be eliminated entirely. Of course someone determined enough could make vaping oil in the kitchen -- and gin in the bathtub, meth in the tool shed and grow marijuana in the garden.
I'm just saying there are few people that determined. It's not so embedded in the culture that a widespread black market would arise. Make access inconvenient and interest in the habit would largely die out.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
No-one's saying vaping could be eliminated entirely. Of course someone determined enough could make vaping oil in the kitchen -- and gin in the bathtub, meth in the tool shed and grow marijuana in the garden.
I'm just saying there are few people that determined. It's not so embedded in the culture that a widespread black market would arise. Make access inconvenient and interest in the habit would largely die out.

But, why does it need to die out? Outside of these bootleg cartridges which were obviously something done by a rookie there have only been complications from vaping to 1-2 individuals a year. That's nothing, literally, nothing. As a whole, it's a healthier way to use nicotine without all the complications. The nicotine, by itself, mind you is no more harmful than caffeine -- it's all the weird crap tobacco companies pump into their products. Secondly, the other health concern is huffing carbon monoxide all day which causes cancer -- something that doesn't happen with the vape. (When you are vaping you are inhaling a steam, not a burnt product. The vape juice is merely heated to a point where it aerosols not to any cooking point...)

Likewise, even the THC products would be safer than smoking weed directly via burning so despite these defective products I see no reason to change anything there.

As far as ease of production of vape juice -- it's cheap, about $50 in supplies and you can make enough for years. :D

MikeDwight

th
I used to Humidifier! You stick your face in it, and vapors, and I didn't know it was so Harmful! Liquid water! huh! What else is deadly?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
But, why does it need to die out? Outside of these bootleg cartridges which were obviously something done by a rookie there have only been complications from vaping to 1-2 individuals a year. That's nothing, literally, nothing. As a whole, it's a healthier way to use nicotine without all the complications. The nicotine, by itself, mind you is no more harmful than caffeine -- it's all the weird crap tobacco companies pump into their products. Secondly, the other health concern is huffing carbon monoxide all day which causes cancer -- something that doesn't happen with the vape. (When you are vaping you are inhaling a steam, not a burnt product. The vape juice is merely heated to a point where it aerosols not to any cooking point...)

Likewise, even the THC products would be safer than smoking weed directly via burning so despite these defective products I see no reason to change anything there.

As far as ease of production of vape juice -- it's cheap, about $50 in supplies and you can make enough for years. :D
I may have to start making my own, as well. Washington state is implimenting a tax of $.27 per mililiter on e-juice in pre-filled cartridges, and $.09 per mililiter on open systems.