• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Valves Steam Deck Hand Held gaming PC. Plays actual PC games? I wonder....

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm certainly intrigued but there are major red flags here as a system playing PC games.

First, almost all the talk is only about hardware specs and little or nothing on the compatible games themselves.

So far, every game that has been illustrated and demonstrated are already available as console games. Not any true PC games anywhere that I can tell.

It seem they are very reluctant to even show a list of any true PC games that are not available on console that steam deck can play, which is a huge red flag for me that this is not actually a true portable PC platform capable of playing PC games. They just only say it is, without ever showing any actual PC game list that excludes console titles.

At this point, I think they are lying to people and don't want to admit it's just another handheld for already existing console libraries that just happen to be on Steam.

For me, as an armchair general who lives for strategy/tactical games, my question is does it play or stream real PC exclusive games like Arma?

Hearts of Iron?

Company of Hero's?

Homeworld?

Kenshi?

U Boat?

Carrier Command 2?

World in Conflict?

Foxhole?

Rim world?

Theater of War?

Combat Mission?

Mount and Blade 2?

Total War?

...among the so many thousands and thousands of actual true PC titles that are never ever going to be found on consoles, and its pathetically limited selections of games reserved for 12 year olds who can do nothing but bunny hop and go pew pew pew?

Sorry, watching "Worth a Buy" too much. *grin*

So what do you think of valves 'PC' game system?

Do you think it's a true PC handheld for PC exclusive games, or just a gimmicky title of PC being touted and used for the same old pathetic and limited library found on every console store for Xbox, Playstation, and Switch but in this case on Steam?

I want it, but definitely not if it's just another gimmicky over hyped boring console system with a severely limited and restricted library to boot that I can get on any console or my phone.

I want PC games, not dumbed down Console and phone shovelware.

Thoughts?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
First, almost all the talk is only about hardware specs and little or nothing on the compatible games themselves.

The system runs SteamOS - granted, it's the new Photon which has some - not perfect - but some compatibility with some Windows games.

So what do you think of valves 'PC' game system?

It's pretty much just a Ryzen 3400G desktop in the palm of your hands. Sure the technology is a bit newer, but its also cramped by the form factor and low wattage. Like I said... it's like a Ryzen 3400G APU desktop.

I want it, but definitely not if it's just another gimmicky over hyped boring console system with a severely limited and restricted library to boot that I can get on any console or my phone.

You're right on the money. The only counterargument is that other PCs are getting really, really expensive due to chip shortages, while this is just about okay priced.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Also, people are quick to point out that this Steam handheld has 6-8 times the theoretical power of the Switch. The problem? The Switch is a closed platform and games are optimized for it. The Steam Deck runs games by brute force. So honestly, it's really only 3-4x the capabilities. And the screen will look significantly worse than the new OLED screen of the Switch OLED.

Twilight Hue

Also, people are quick to point out that this Steam handheld has 6-8 times the theoretical power of the Switch. The problem? The Switch is a closed platform and games are optimized for it. The Steam Deck runs games by brute force. So honestly, it's really only 3-4x the capabilities. And the screen will look significantly worse than the new OLED screen of the Switch OLED.

If you know yourself...

Is there an available list of PC only games it can run yet, or is it they just don't want to talk as to weither it's PC exclusive games?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If you know yourself...

Is there an available list of PC only games it can run yet, or is it they just don't want to talk as to weither it's PC exclusive?

If you want a list of games, google "SteamOS compatible games". It will run most SteamOS / Linux. As for running Windows games, I have tried Photon and it's not reliable enough to form concrete lists, so I doubt they have one. I just fire up my pre-existing Steam library, then check if each Windows game I have works. 30 percent of the time, it works without issue. The other 70 percent of the time, it's unplayable or nearly so.

Twilight Hue

The system runs SteamOS - granted, it's the new Photon which has some - not perfect - but some compatibility with some Windows games.

It's pretty much just a Ryzen 3400G desktop in the palm of your hands. Sure the technology is a bit newer, but its also cramped by the form factor and low wattage. Like I said... it's like a Ryzen 3400G APU desktop.

You're right on the money. The only counterargument is that other PCs are getting really, really expensive due to chip shortages, while this is just about okay priced.

It comes across as a steambox that you can carry on the go. My pertinent focus is on the games themselves.

Twilight Hue

If you want a list of games, google "SteamOS compatible games". It will run most SteamOS / Linux. As for running Windows games, I have tried Photon and it's not reliable enough to form concrete lists, so I doubt they have one. I just fire up my pre-existing Steam library, then check if each Windows game I have works. 30 percent of the time, it works without issue. The other 70 percent of the time, it's unplayable or nearly so.
Oh. Good idea. I'll do that. At least it will give me an idea what it might be capable of game wise.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've heard that you'll be able to install Windows on the Steam Deck. But I wouldn't. If they allow it, here's the steps you'd have to go through:

1. Buy Windows

2. Figure out how to boot it. This is a unique system, after all.

3. Pray that you didn't buy the 64GB version as you'll never have enough space after Windows to game. You'll barely have enough space for Windows updates.

Twilight Hue

I've heard that you'll be able to install Windows on the Steam Deck. But I wouldn't. If they allow it, here's the steps you'd have to go through:

1. Buy Windows

2. Figure out how to boot it. This is a unique system, after all.

3. Pray that you didn't buy the 64GB version as you'll never have enough space after Windows to game. You'll barely have enough space for Windows updates.
I already have a PC. I'd stay with steam os myself but it's nice they don't restrict the system.

I have a few comments on windows. Some not very nice. *grin*

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
There are three issues to consider with this device:

The storage space - If you buy the 64GB version, you may run into problems.

The hardware - I'm pretty confident about saying that if a game runs 1280x800 on a Ryzen 3400G desktop with integrated Radeon graphics, that this device probably has the power to play it, as well.

The software - SteamOS is going to put some cramp in your style. Linux has maybe 25 percent or less the game library that Windows has.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
How you buy one is a little bit complicated. You have to reserve one, you're only allowed one, from your established Steam account - for $5. You'll be notified when it's ready to purchase it, then you pay the whole amount minus $5. The estimated release date for new orders is now Q2-Q3 2022, but with no guarantees the time to purchase it won't be sooner, even possibly December of this year. So if you preorder, check your emails at least every one to two weeks.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Steam has a massive library with many titles that can be played with console style control pads. There would be no shortage of games for Valve's handheld device, which is basically a computer that looks like a Nintendo Switch.

Twilight Hue

Steam has a massive library with many titles that can be played with console style control pads. There would be no shortage of games for Valve's handheld device, which is basically a computer that looks like a Nintendo Switch.
Its one of the appealing aspects of the system.

It's not restricted mainly to games 12 year olds like to play.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

And I wanted to repeat, there will probably be no exclusives for this device. I can't guarantee there won't, but it doesn't make sense given the economic model.

Twilight Hue

How you buy one is a little bit complicated. You have to reserve one, you're only allowed one, from your established Steam account - for $5. You'll be notified when it's ready to purchase it, then you pay the whole amount minus $5. The estimated release date for new orders is now Q2-Q3 2022, but with no guarantees the time to purchase it won't be sooner, even possibly December of this year. So if you preorder, check your emails at least every one to two weeks.
I usually wait after release. Then I review the common critics, not the professional shills.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, I wasn't totally dismissing it because I am pleased with the Steam controller, what I've read here has changed my mind and now I'm not that interested.

Twilight Hue

Well, I wasn't totally dismissing it because I am pleased with the Steam controller, what I've read here has changed my mind and now I'm not that interested.
I like steams controllers. They don't have those dead zones and drift that you get with those joy sticks that wear out so as to make you buy a new one and repeat it over and over while they call you a suckered consumer.

Personally I don't care for the sticks on the handheld. I don't even think they are detachable.