• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Valid Citation

Is "science" a viable citation when refuting evolution?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That's nonsensical. I stand by my post #35.
Maybe the problem here is a semantic issue.
Rational people might use the vague reference "Science" as a short version of "The best peer reviewed data available to scientific minded people at this time".
Is that what you are talking about?
That's a vague and imprecise citation, I will agree.
Tom

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I am not arguing so much as asking you to clarify what your point is.
Tom

There is no hidden meaning.

There is no shenanigans.

This is not a parable.

It's an honest question.

I would like an honest answer.

That is all.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It's an honest question.

I would like an honest answer.
You've gotten 10.
What were you expecting? Religious people to vote "Yes, I am fine with vague and generalized citations"?

That's usually who do it, although not always. Ideologues in general seem comfortable with anything that supports their ideology, however vague and generalized.
Tom

Enoch07

Premium Member
You've gotten 10.
What were you expecting? Religious people to vote "Yes, I am fine with vague and generalized citations"?

No, LoLz

I expected 100 votes or more of No.

And maybe 5 votes of Yes (just to account for a few trolls/whatevs).

What I didn't expect was people's reluctance to vote No when they obviously agree with me! Why is that so? It is a very unexpected discovery! I am not quite sure what to make of that just yet. But wow, I never would have thought in a million years anyone who claims to be ruled by logic and reason would disagree with me on this! Absolutely fascinating!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What I didn't expect was people's reluctance to vote No when they obviously agree with me! Why is that so? It is a very unexpected discovery! I am not quite sure what to make of that just yet.
I've explained that to my own satisfaction, and I posted about it. People aren't interested in your poll. It's badly worded, to be charitable. Looks more like an agenda driven "gotcha" question than an honest one.
Maybe not, but the other possibilities don't seem plausible.
Tom

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
No, LoLz

I expected 100 votes or more of No.

And maybe 5 votes of Yes (just to account for a few trolls/whatevs).

What I didn't expect was people's reluctance to vote No when they obviously agree with me! Why is that so? It is a very unexpected discovery! I am not quite sure what to make of that just yet. But wow, I never would have thought in a million years anyone who claims to be ruled by logic and reason would disagree with me on this! Absolutely fascinating!

I could not figure out what it meant.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Are we talking about just saying "science!" Then a drop mic?

Curious George nails it here above.
So, it's rather pointless?

I don't doubt that it happens. There's lots of idiots out there. But not many, and we'd almost all agree that "just saying "Science", and dropping the mic" is goofy.

Let's talk about a similar issue. When someone starts an assertion with "God says", they are wrong. They probably can't even speak the language that the human claiming to speak for God wrote the original in. But God didn't say whatever they are claiming. They are putting their own words into God's mouth.
Tom

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Another poorly formed poll.

The problem is that no one refutes the creation myth by saying "Science". As written the answer is no, but one can see the underlying hidden charge, that makes abstaining the only proper reply.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Another poorly formed poll.

The problem is that no one refutes the creation myth by saying "Science". As written the answer is no, but one can see the underlying hidden charge, that makes abstaining the only proper reply.

Context was given in post #14.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not much context, but yes, if a person simply responded with the word "Science" that would be an error on his part. Citing the science that shows creationism is a myth is not that difficult. Though I cannot personally right now since the tablet that I am using does not enable me to post links. But there are countless scientific sources on line that can be used to refute the claims of creationists.