• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vaishnavas: holidays, holy days, festivals?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste all.

As I've finally fully shed my confusion and realized I've been Vaishnava all along :slap: (<- that's a "Gibbs headslap"), what are the major Vaishnava holidays, holy days, festivals that are celebrated?

I know about Janmashtami (done), Radhashtami (done), Diwali and Lakshmi Puja (looking forward to), and Sri Ram Navami (missed). Do we observe Ekadashi (tomorrow 9/7), Ganesh Chaturthi? (missed it :rolleyes:).

There are 3 days during Devi Navaratri (days 3, 4, 5) dedicated to Maa Lakshmi, are those days, or all 9 days celebrated?

Anything else to know about?

Namaste all.

As I've finally fully shed my confusion and realized I've been Vaishnava all along :slap: (<- that's a "Gibbs headslap"), what are the major Vaishnava holidays, holy days, festivals that are celebrated?

Anything else to know about?

No longer a smartra then?

Which Vaishnava sampradaya are you going to follow?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah, I came to realize I never was a Smarta. Something about it just didn't sit right when I meditated on it.

I'm falling somewhere between VisishtAdvaita and Achintya BhedAbheda, but I think closer to Achintya BhedAbheda. We're one with God (Krishna/Vishnu), but we're individual. However, I've become gun-shy of ascribing labels. I'm just following my beliefs. I think the difference between the two philosophies is subtle. Basically it's all panentheism. I'll let God sort out the fine details. :D

Summary of VisishtAdvaita:

Narayana is the Absolute God. The Soul and the Universe are only parts of this Absolute and hence, Vishishtadvaita is panentheistic. The relationship of God to the Soul and the Universe is like the relationship of the Soul of Man to the body of Man. Individual souls are only parts of Brahman. God, Soul and Universe together form an inseparable unity which is one and has no second. This is the non-duality part. Matter and Souls inhere in that Ultimate Reality as attributes to a substance. This is the qualification part of the non-duality. - Vishishtadvaita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Summary of Achintya BhedAbheda:

The theological tenet of achintya-bheda-abheda tattva reconciles the mystery that God is simultaneously "one with and different from His creation". In this sense Vaishnavatheology is not pantheistic as in no way does it deny the separate existence of God (Vishnu) in His own personal form. However, at the same time, creation (or what is termed in Vaishnava theology as the 'cosmic manifestation') is never separated from God. - Achintya Bheda Abheda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nah, I came to realize I never was a Smarta. Something about it just didn't sit right when I meditated on it.

I'm falling somewhere between VisishtAdvaita and Achintya BhedAbheda, but I think closer to Achintya BhedAbheda. We're one with God (Krishna/Vishnu), but we're individual. However, I've become gun-shy of ascribing labels. I'm just following my beliefs. I think the difference between the two philosophies is subtle. Basically it's all panentheism. I'll let God sort out the fine details. :D

Summary of VisishtAdvaita:

Narayana is the Absolute God. The Soul and the Universe are only parts of this Absolute and hence, Vishishtadvaita is panentheistic. The relationship of God to the Soul and the Universe is like the relationship of the Soul of Man to the body of Man. Individual souls are only parts of Brahman. God, Soul and Universe together form an inseparable unity which is one and has no second. This is the non-duality part. Matter and Souls inhere in that Ultimate Reality as attributes to a substance. This is the qualification part of the non-duality. - Vishishtadvaita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Summary of Achintya BhedAbheda:

The theological tenet of achintya-bheda-abheda tattva reconciles the mystery that God is simultaneously "one with and different from His creation". In this sense Vaishnavatheology is not pantheistic as in no way does it deny the separate existence of God (Vishnu) in His own personal form. However, at the same time, creation (or what is termed in Vaishnava theology as the 'cosmic manifestation') is never separated from God. - Achintya Bheda Abheda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was going to reply to your other post of the differences between all the philosophies, but honestly, I got lazy, lol.

About four years ago, when I was studying visishtadvaita vedanta, achintya-bheda-abheda-tattva, dvaita, dvaita-advaita, and shuddha-advaita, they all really were just subtle differences between the two. All four sampradayas were all saying the same thing: panentheism, that the soul and God are separate, and yet share the same qualities, and that God has both impersonal and personal aspects, but that his personality is everything.

Dvaita is from one extreme, saying that the soul and God can never share the same qualities, because God is higher, more powerful, superior, and unlike anything of the soul. Madhvacharya therefore argued this.

Vishnuswami said that the soul and God can become one, united, and that they share the same qualities. Thus the name shuddhadvaita came about, and now it is represented by Pushtimarg.

Both achintya-bheda-abheda tattva are so similar, I can not tell the difference between the two philosophies.

I suggest that you just read around abit of Sri Vaishnavism by Ramanujacharya, Madhva Vaishnavism, Hamsa Vaishnavism by Nimbarkacharya, Pushtimarg by Vallabhacharya, and Gaudiya Vaishnavism by Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.

In regards to the festivals and holy days, I have no experience of any of the other Vaishnava lineages, except that we all celebrate Ekadashi, which is tomorrow. (Thanks for reminding me... I almost forgot. :facepalm:). So no grains or beans, and if you also have, no meat, alcohol, or sex. Ekadashi just is a day of trying to remember the Lord, and doing a little more, such as reading Scripture, doing some japa, etc.

And of course, Ekadashi happens twice a month, eleven days after the full and new moon.

Otherwise, Vaishnava holy days may differ according to the sampradaya. For example, we celebrate Sri Gaura Purnima, which is the Appearance Day of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu... since we do believe that He is yuga-avatara and the incarnation of Radha-Krishna. ;)

Because you are Krishna centred, I highly recommend you look up Pushtimarg literature (Krishna as Nathaji, the carrier of Govardhana Hill, and worship of Yamuna-devi), Nimbarkacharya and his Hamsa sampradaya literature (Radha-Krishna), and even Gaudiya Vaishnava literature (Radha-Krishna and Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu). Eka Sarana Dharma will be of interest as well.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah, thanks for all that. I'm not bogging myself down with too much theology and philosophy all at once anymore. Just do bhakti, and read Scriptures. You know, when you're new to something you want to absorb it all at once. And therein lies the confusion.

What's sex? :shrug:

Last edited:
Gaura Priya that very good summing up there on the different sampradayas.

One thing I found in my studies is that there is a healthy rivalry among them and even among members of the same school.

Follows of Ramanuja for example split into two schools One who claim that salvation is like a monkeys child cling in to its mother the other school claims that is it like a cat carrying her kitten

Follows of Madhva school of thought have many famous works attacking other schools of vashnava thought - one book that I have really enjoyed reading is Bhkati School of Vedanta by Swami Tapasyananda,

I agree with you both find your way in the faith TouchedbytheLord - as a matter of interest what are you going to do with the pictures of the other Gods on your altar are you going to keep them there?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
TouchedbytheLord - as a matter of interest what are you going to do with the pictures of the other Gods on your altar are you going to keep them there?

Yes, I think it's all right to honor Them and give praise, though I'm not directly worshipping Them. Shiva is said to be a great devotee of Vishnu; we worship Ganesha to remove obstacles, in fact in Krishna puja He and Lord Shiva are both invoked to remove obstacles and negativity from the area (Puja - How To Conduct Puja To Sri Krishna - Prayers To Mahaganapathi* Guru and Family God Head - (page 1) nice little e-book); I understand Surya is associated with Vishnu as Suryanarayana; Krishna tells Arjuna "Among generals, I am Skanda, lord of war" (Bhagavad Gita 10.24); Arjuna prayed to Durga Maa. So in the end, they are all either aspects of Krishna, or they are devotees who are at His feet and service.

It is not necessary to follow a sampradaya. Most Vaishnavas do not.

Righteo! Even then, formal entry into the sampradaya is through initiation, diksha... which many do not do, even if they receive inspiration from one sampradaya.

One can receive inspiration from a sampradaya without complete formal adherence.

Ah, thanks for all that. I'm not bogging myself down with too much theology and philosophy all at once anymore. Just do bhakti, and read Scriptures. You know, when you're new to something you want to absorb it all at once. And therein lies the confusion.

What's sex? :shrug:

Hah, well, I wouldn't worry too much... I'm a little on the explorative side of things, and always have been a compartamentalising personality. When I first approached the Vedic religions, I was very studious, lol.

Just follow your heart, do bhakti, and everything is good. :D

What is a Vaishnava? A Vaishnava simply believes in One Supreme and loving, personal God as Vishnu / Krishna, that there are many devatas whom we can receive inspiration and blessings from, and who sees bhakti as the highest yoga towards the Absolute Beauty. :)

Everything else is secondary. :D Even Scriptural injunctions can be, depending on the circumstances.

And what is bhakti-yoga?

1) hearing about Krishna [shravanam],
2) chanting Krishna's name and glorifying Him [kirtanam]
3) remembering Krishna always [smaranam]
4) serving Krishna's lotus feet [pada-sevanam]
5) worshipping Krishna's deity (murti) form [archanam]
6) offering Krishna prayers [vandanam]
7) becoming a servant of Krishna [dasyam]
8) seeing Krishna as a dearmost friend [sakhyam]
9) surrendering everything to Krishna [atma-nivedanam]

By following any one of these with absolute sincerity, love and devotion, one practices bhakti-yoga. :) And thank goodness, this yoga is so easy, so sweet, and so sublime!

Good luck with everything! Hare Krishna!

>: )

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, we never did get to answer the original question I have about finding a decent calendar that has the dates and times of holidays, holy days and fasts. I don't fully trust the local temple's calendar because it seems incomplete. For example, no mention of Sri Vamanadeva's appearance. Personally, I think this :: Sri Guruvayurappan Temple :: is kind of hard to follow.

I found this Vaisnava Calendar and this Vaisnava Calendar Reminder Services*|* About the Vaisnava calendar I might try the e-mail and desktop reminders software.

Anything else anyone uses?

Well, we never did get to answer the original question I have about finding a decent calendar that has the dates and times of holidays, holy days and fasts. I don't fully trust the local temple's calendar because it seems incomplete. For example, no mention of Sri Vamanadeva's appearance. Personally, I think this :: Sri Guruvayurappan Temple :: is kind of hard to follow.

I found this Vaisnava Calendar and this Vaisnava Calendar Reminder Services*|* About the Vaisnava calendar I might try the e-mail and desktop reminders software.

Anything else anyone uses?

My local ISKCON temple publishes its own calendar so that we can get the appropriate times for fasting and ISKCON and Gaudiya-centred holy days.

But online, I also like Vaisnava Calendar to make quick checks. It's good because it's quick, easy formatting, and you can see when it is 'appropriate' to break your fast on Dwadashi. Of course, the other holy days are ISKCON or Gaudiya-centred, but otherwise, you'll see that it is Chaturmasya period right now.

The next Ekadashi is on the 23th of September, and then on the 6th of October is Rama Vijayotsava; our temple always has a festival for Lord Ramachandra on that day. And then Ekadashi is on the 7th.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks, I'm glad I saw it the way you described it. I was looking over the requirements for Chaturmasya, and wondered how many non-Gaudiya Vaishnavas follow it to any degree.