• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vaishnava Texts: Sri Lakshmi Devi

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
What Vaishnava texts describe Lakshmi? Be it anything.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
She's mentioned in the Rig Veda, Atharva Veda, Shatapatha Brahmana, Mahābhārata, Rāmāyana, Saubhagyalakshmi Upanishad, Vishnu Purana. Information courtesy of the Wiki article on Lakshmi. You didn't think I'm that smart, did you? :p

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
The Lakshmi Tantra is another one. I'm in the process of reading it right now. :)

So far, it seems to be mostly about Her only. But it is considered to be a Pancharata text, which, of course, are the Vaishnava agamas. So it technically falls under the category of Vaishnava texts, rather than Shakta texts. But I don't care, I'm reading it, anyway. :p

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
In the third Canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam, we learn of Kardama Muni a Sage of the Satya Yuga and who is a Prajapati or “One Who populates the World with humans”, Prajapatis are anointed by Lord Vishnu. The son of Kardama is Kapila Dev. This sage is sometimes called the “Son of Brahma” but that is because of his assignment, however it is also said he was born of Saraswati. It is in the appendices to the Rig Veda called the Sri Sukta we hear that Kardama is the “Son of Lakshmi”, these were added later to the Rig but about the time of the Upanishads, the Sri Sukta is not the Upanishads but like an appendix added directly to the Rig Ved. Here we hear the following:

We are the progeny of our forefather, Sage Kardama, who is one of the sons of Goddess Lakshmi. We invoke that Sage Kardama to install in his family the Universal Mother, Mahalakshmi, who is decked with the garland of lotuses. So be it.

So we see from the most “early” of Ved that Lakshmi is described as wearing a garland of lotus. The complete description of Lakshmi can be found in the Lakshmi-Stuti, fromVishnu Purana, 7.9.116-138, and the Sri Suktam.

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/prayers_to_goddess_lakshmi.htm

Lakshmi is the “father” of Kardama because he was charged by Vishnu to populate Sri Bhumi (consort of the Lord and Mother Earth) with humans.

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Typo, should read "The son of Kardama is Kapila Dev"... my wife was yelling "we have to go" (out) when I was rushing this...

लक्ष्मी Lakshmi, Vishnu is a loving wife :oops:

Lakshmi does not mean goddess of wealth and fortune and It is NOT money:rage:,

it means kindred flower or mark or energy, called Prakriti, in which she is called Mother Earth.
:hugehug:

goddess of nature
divine+goddess.jpg

091f3ad8d72af1cefef40dfb1e6dd4b9.jpg

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
लक्ष्मी Lakshmi, Vishnu is a loving wife :oops:

Lakshmi does not mean goddess of wealth and fortune and It is NOT money:rage:,

it means kindred flower or mark or energy, called Prakriti, in which she is called Mother Earth.
:hugehug:

goddess of nature
View attachment 25580
View attachment 25581
Very lovely pictures! Yes, Sri Lakshmi does not mean money at all but spiritual wealth! Though Bhu-devi, Lakshmi's "shadow" is mother earth :)

Shantanu

What Vaishnava texts describe Lakshmi? Be it anything.
I do not know of what the scriptures say about this but have my own ideas: Vishnu is the male guna consciousness deity of the rajasic guna while Lakshmi is the devi counterpart and they are therefore consorts of each other.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not know of what the scriptures say about this but have my own ideas: Vishnu is the male guna consciousness deity of the rajasic guna while Lakshmi is the devi counterpart and they are therefore consorts of each other.
Vishnu is not rajasic, but sattvic in sruti. None of Lord Vishnu's actions can be seen as rajasic, as that is in the mode of passion and of the ego.

Last edited:
Vishnu is self brahma (swayam bhagavan) in krishnaism
reason
krishna save gopa(cowherd boy friend) from brahmadev and
brahma see at krishna also
are lord brahma (soul) \vishnu

images.jpg
krishna forgiven brahma

Shantanu

Vishnu is not rajasic, but sattvic in sruti. None of Lord Vishnu's actions can be seen as rajasic, as that is in the mode of passion and of the ego.
I see. All I can say is that the Vishnu that the Supreme God Sri Krishna led me to study is not the same Vishnu as the Lord Vishnu that you are referring to taken from sruti.

On the mode of action of rajasic guna, it is also not terrifically passionate or egoistic: it is routinal in my view, that is sober without being pious (which is sattvic) and normal following duties as dharma, unlike tamasic which is evil.

I see. All I can say is that the Vishnu that the Supreme God Sri Krishna led me to study is not the same Vishnu as the Lord Vishnu that you are referring to taken from sruti.

On the mode of action of rajasic guna, it is also not terrifically passionate or egoistic: it is routinal in my view, that is sober without being pious (which is sattvic) and normal following duties as dharma, unlike tamasic which is evil.
Supreme God Sri Krishna 8th avataar from Vishnu Dashavataar

Dashavatar is a mythological story. There is only one Supreme God known as Sri Krishna and Durga in male and female forms.
sister Durga vaishnavi has connection
Who is lakshmi
and trident is harmful to all religious
reason satan weapon
and last now kali yugA
kalki come this world
his is given in Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 12, chapter 2, Verse 18:

śambhala-grāma-mukhyasya

brāhmaṇasya mahātmanaḥ

bhavane viṣṇuyaśasaḥ

kalkiḥ prādurbhaviṣyati

Lord Kalki will appear in the home of the most eminent brahmana of Sambhala village, the great soul Vishnuyasa.
artworks-000271030799-2kic6u-original.jpg

Last edited:

Shantanu

sister Durga vaishnavi has connection
Who is lakshmi
and trident is harmful to all religious
reason satan weapon
and last now kali yugA
kalki come this world
his is given in Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 12, chapter 2, Verse 18:

śambhala-grāma-mukhyasya

brāhmaṇasya mahātmanaḥ

bhavane viṣṇuyaśasaḥ

kalkiḥ prādurbhaviṣyati

Lord Kalki will appear in the home of the most eminent brahmana of Sambhala village, the great soul Vishnuyasa.
View attachment 25674
Many people have come through history calling themselves Kalki avatar, to establish dharma and save the world from evil.

shivsomashekhar

She's mentioned in the Rig Veda, Atharva Veda, Shatapatha Brahmana, Mahābhārata, Rāmāyana, Saubhagyalakshmi Upanishad, Vishnu Purana. Information courtesy of the Wiki article on Lakshmi. You didn't think I'm that smart, did you? :p

To be clear, Lakshmi is not mentioned in the Veda. The main Vedic female deities are Ushas, Aditi, etc., who lost prominence in later times.

The Sri Suktam connects Lakshmi with Sri and is found in the Rig Veda Khilanis - a later addition to the Rig Veda, possibly during the Brahmana/Upanishad age.

Of course, Lakshmi features widely in Puranic literature.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Vishnu is self brahma (swayam bhagavan) in krishnaism
reason
krishna save gopa (cowherd boy friend) from brahmadev and
brahma see at krishna also
are lord brahma (soul) \vishnu
krishna forgiven brahma
Stop the use of colors and large fonts. What are you trying to prove? This is against internet manners.
Hindus are a varied lot. Not every one would agree with what you say here. We hare not Abrahamics.