• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vaccinated Carnival Cruise Ship - Hit with Covid.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Fully vaccinated ship docks in San Francisco with multiple COVID cases aboard

When i get my polio vaccination, I do it to not get polio.
When I get my measles vaccination, I do it to not get the measles.

If the Covid vaccination doesn't stop you from getting Covid, why get the vaccination?

If it is to soften the blow, then is the issue of "Stop Covid - get vaccinated" a mute point?
I'd prefer not to die (being an old ****) or have sufficient complications after having the virus - examples of such being found in the news quite regularly. The vaccines are supposed to lower considerably the risk of the former and hopefully of the latter. :oops: So, fully vaccinated.

Plus, the risk of passing it on is probably lessened - but even so I still use a mask on transport and in shops, even though such is not mandated here. It hardly bothers me, and I will wait until the crisis definitely has gone.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

If the Covid vaccination doesn't stop you from getting Covid, why get the vaccination?

If it is to soften the blow, then is the issue of "Stop Covid - get vaccinated" a mute point?
The left insists upon it. Because it 'works'.

Probably because it's what they are supposed to say by their healthcare gods and masters.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I'd prefer not to die (being an old ****) or have sufficient complications after having the virus - examples of such being found in the news quite regularly. The vaccines are supposed to lower considerably the risk of the former and hopefully of the latter. :oops: So, fully vaccinated.

Plus, the risk of passing it on is probably lessened - but even so I still use a mask on transport and in shops, even though such is not mandated here. It hardly bothers me, and I will wait until the crisis definitely has gone.
Can't argue with that. :)

Being one like unto you... can I say, however, that because I have had the three strains that I have accomplished the same thing?

Daemon Sophic

The drunk driving analogy still holds.

Does driving sober completely prevent accidents?
No?
Yeah. You shouldn’t bother driving sober then.

:rolleyes:

In fact the Covid vaccines grant you nearly 99.5% protection from a severe infection acutely, plus (with rare exceptions touted by the RW press) similar protection from “long-term Covid”.
Additionally, if you understand statistics and R0 values for viruses, then you do realize that the vaccine does in fact work to eliminate Covid. If, by any means including vaccinations/masks/social distancing/etc…you reduce a virus’ R0 value below 1.0, then it will die off. That’s math, and it is not up for petty arguments.
Nobody ever said the vaccine granted 100% immunity :rolleyes: That was a RW straw-man from the get go. Even Pfizer and Moderna, upon first release of their vaccines only claimed 75 to 90% prevention. And they correctly claimed nearly 100% defense against severe symptoms.

But since the vaccine does lower the virus’ R0 value below 1.0, then yes….If everyone was vaccinated, then no Covid.
Buuuut…. since many people still run around unvaccinated, then we still have the disease among us. Thanks!! Thanks to them, and them alone, we all still have to live with this pandemic.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Can't argue with that. :)

Being one like unto you... can I say, however, that because I have had the three strains that I have accomplished the same thing?
But you'll never know if you might have passed it on and that person died. :oops: I apparently have never had Covid - no such symptoms at least.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I recommend “moot” instead of “mute”.

BTW, I am vaccinated so that if I do get the plague, it’ll be less severe. One shouldn’t expect total immunity.
**** those floating prisons and their cruises.

Kenny

Premium Member
But you'll never know if you might have passed it on and that person died. :oops: I apparently have never had Covid - no such symptoms at least.
I think my point is that it doesn't matter if you are vaccinated... you can pass it on anyway.

Kenny

Premium Member
I recommend “moot” instead of “mute”.

BTW, I am vaccinated so that if I do get the plague, it’ll be less severe. One shouldn’t expect total immunity.
**** those floating prisons and their cruises.
Touché... moot it is! - But with me having Covid, Delta and Omicron it is also "less severe" :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Touché... moot it is! - But with me having Covid, Delta and Omicron it is also "less severe" :)
That is one tough way to acquire some immunity.
(It's killed & nearly killed some I know. We're in the
high risk group, age-wise.) I prefer getting the needle.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Not so. People can still get the measles after a measles vaccine. People still got smallpox after a smallpox vaccine. Etc. And so on.

Vaccines do two things. They lower the odds of catching the disease they cover. With measles they are close to 99% effective that way. Second they lower the chances of a severe case by a huge margin. In the last two outbreaks it was the unvaccinated that died at ten times the rate of the vaccinated that got ill.

Covid vaccines are not perfect but they still work.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not so. People can still get the measles after a measles vaccine. People still got smallpox after a smallpox vaccine. Etc. And so on.

Vaccines do two things. They lower the odds of catching the disease they cover. With measles they are close to 99% effective that way. Second they lower the chances of a severe case by a huge margin. In the last two outbreaks it was the unvaccinated that died at ten times the rate of the vaccinated that got ill.

Covid vaccines are not perfect but they still work.
We should note that smallpox is the only
human disease we've eradicated.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And those vaccines were often administered at the point of a gun. It would be nice if we could avoid that.
I know only of an isolated incident.
Do you claim widespread policy?

BTW, my sense of things is that smallpox
was more greatly feared than Covid 19 is.
That would explain over-reaction.

Kenny

Premium Member
That is one tough way to acquire some immunity.
(It's killed & nearly killed some I know. We're in the
high risk group, age-wise.) I prefer getting the needle.

That's true... for me, the issue was I got Covid before there was a vaccine and having passed through that effort, decided that I was less likely to have encountered death than the potential of a vaccine that was being pushed through...

But some of my children had the vaccine (more pressured or forced than just decided - but vaccinated none the less)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I know only of an isolated incident.
Do you claim widespread policy?

BTW, my sense of things is that smallpox
was more greatly feared than Covid 19 is.
That would explain over-reaction.
I can only think of one off the top of my head too. It was in the Philippine Islands, I think. But there could have been others.

EDIT: Yes, it was the Philippines, but we also did it here at home:

Smallpox was defeated, but it wasn't easy. Here's how it's relevant to COVID-19. | BrandeisNOW

Last edited: