• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uzbekistan Christians Detained and Tortured for Their Faith, reports

Sabio

Uzbekistan Christians Detained and Tortured for Their Faith, reports

Friday, July 1, 2005
By BosNewsLife News Center

TASHKENT/BUDAPEST (BosNewsLife)-- International concern was mounting Thursday, June 30, over the plight of Protestant Christians in Uzbekistan amid new reports of torture and apparent police reluctance to investigate the murder of an American Christian.

The latest reported abuse of a teenaged Christian and other believers comes just weeks after the body of 65-year-old Kim Khen Pen Khin, a US citizen of Korean origin, was found June 11 on a street in Uzbekistan's capital Tashkent. She had reportedly been assaulted and strangled.

Page printed from:
http://www.worthynews.com/christian-persecution/uzbekistan-christians-tortured.html

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Dreadful; what is so upsetting is that if someone from Uzbekistan came here, he would have no one telling him what to believe in, and what not to believe in.

"Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you..................":(

Sabio

michel said:
Dreadful; what is so upsetting is that if someone from Uzbekistan came here, he would have no one telling him what to believe in, and what not to believe in.

"Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you..................":(
But Islam is a religion of peace Michel...

Sabio

Maize said:

Yes it is. It seems that the extremists have forgotten that.
I believe that most of the Moslem nations have either elected or been subject to governments that promote an extermist Moslem position (and actions).

Sabio

jonny

Maize said:

Yes it is. It seems that the extremists have forgotten that.
It seems that the extremists have hijacked Islam. If the leaders of the religion are not willing to stand up and confront the extremists they become part of the problem (in my always very humble opinion).

I've said it before - After a group of members of this "religion of peace" held me up at knife point for being a Christian, I have found it very difficult to call Islam a religion of peace.

What do you think it would take for the members of this religion to take control back from the extreme fundamentalists?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jonny said:
It seems that the extremists have hijacked Islam. If the leaders of the religion are not willing to stand up and confront the extremists they become part of the problem

Who says they are not speaking out against the extremists?

Ori

Angel slayer
jonny said:
It seems that the extremists have hijacked Islam. If the leaders of the religion are not willing to stand up and confront the extremists they become part of the problem (in my always very humble opinion).

I've said it before - After a group of members of this "religion of peace" held me up at knife point for being a Christian, I have found it very difficult to call Islam a religion of peace.

What do you think it would take for the members of this religion to take control back from the extreme fundamentalists?
Sorry about your experience, but you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush, if dirt is dropped into the sea does it all become dirty?

jonny

Maize said:
Who says they are not speaking out against the extremists?
Speaking out against them is not the same as standing up and confronting the extremists. Confronting the extremists is what the US did when they went into Afghanistan and kicked out the Taliban.

I can speak out against the extremists, but it isn't going to mean anything unless I try and DO something about it. Unforunately, I don't think me doing anything would have much of an impact.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jonny said:
Speaking out against them is not the same as standing up and confronting the extremists. Confronting the extremists is what the US did when they went into Afghanistan and kicked out the Taliban.
Yeah in tanks and body amour with really big guns! These are dangerous people, are you really suggesting that religious leaders should try to forcibly take these people out by themselves?

Let's turn the tables... I don't see mainstream Christianity doing anything about the Fred Phelps' out there.

Saying that religious leaders should confront extremist who are often dangerous is not sound advice, IMO. Should they speak out against them? Yes, but even that can be dangerous. Violent people should be dealt with by people who are trained to do so.

jonny

orichalcum said:
Sorry about your experience, but you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush, if dirt is dropped into the sea does it all become dirty?
Depends on how much dirt is dropped in I guess. :)

You're right about not tarring everyone with the same brush. I don't put everyone into that category, and I have met Muslims that were very kind, open, and peaceful people. I'm just not willing to call it a religion of peace when the religion seems to be the source of wars and contention all over the world. "Religion of Peace" sounds too much like something a PR firm would come up with. I guess my bias on the subject shows that a little PR is needed...

I had an opportunity to sit down with a Muslim and talk to him about his beliefs once. He told me that the Koran taught that the United States was founded by Satan and that it needed to be destroyed. I doubt that this is really stated in the Koran, but it was taught to him by someone. History has taught us what happens when people use religion to justify violence. People can be persuaded to act in ways they wouldn't normally when religion is put into the mix.

I am worried about what is happening in the world and things don't seem to be getting any better.

jonny

Maize said:
Yeah in tanks and body amour with really big guns! These are dangerous people, are you really suggesting that religious leaders should try to forcibly take these people out by themselves?

Let's turn the tables... I don't see mainstream Christianity doing anything about the Fred Phelps' out there.

Saying that religious leaders should confront extremist who are often dangerous is not sound advice, IMO. Should they speak out against them? Yes, but even that can be dangerous. Violent people should be dealt with by people who are trained to do so.
You're right - it isn't realistic. I guess that to solve the problem we need to figure out what its source is and confront that. What do you think the source of the problem is?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
jonny said:
You're right - it isn't realistic. I guess that to solve the problem we need to figure out what its source is and confront that. What do you think the source of the problem is?
Now, that I can't answer. I wish I could.

Sabio

Maize said:

While I certainly agree that Fred Phelps is a lunatic... I don't see anything in his list of crimes that compares to the atrocities of Muslim Governments! I don't think Fred Phelps is a fair comparison to Sadam, The Taliban, Al Queda, or the House of Saud...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rev._Fred_Phelps

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
So because he hasn't killed anyone he shouldn't be dealt with? Look, I know it wasn't an exact comparison, but he's about as anti-Christian of a Christians as you get. I was trying to make a point.

Sabio

Maize said:
So because he hasn't killed anyone he shouldn't be dealt with? Look, I know it wasn't an exact comparison, but he's about as anti-Christian of a Christians as you get. I was trying to make a point.
Uh, no disagreement here...Do you think the Christians should take him out then?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Sabio said:
Uh, no disagreement here...Do you think the Christians should take him out then?
Take him out? LOL, no. I would love to see Christians standing up to him and his gang though along side the GBLT community when he protests funerals and churches and such. I'm sure some do, but if Christian religious leaders came out against him it would make a big difference I think.

Sabio

Maize said:
Take him out? LOL, no. I would love to see Christians standing up to him and his gang though along side the GBLT community when he protests funerals and churches and such. I'm sure some do, but if Christian religious leaders came out against him it would make a big difference I think.
Thats asking a little much Maize, I don't think Christians are going to support the GBLT agenda...

Sabio

jonny said:
I have never heard of Fred Phelps...
I had to look him up on Wikipedia, he is a pretty obsure individual. I think you would find that most Christian leaders do not know who he is either...The GBLT crowd knows him well because he is an irritant to their cause.

Sabio