• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah's Mormons loathe Huckabee

jonny

I thought this was an interesting article on the Politico about how much Utah's Mormons "loathe" Huckabee and why. I found the statistics at the end really interesting.

In the unlikely event that Huckabee does capture the Republican nomination, his Utah baggage could come back to haunt him.

In the deeply red state where President Bush still maintains some of his highest approval ratings, a place that has ranked as the most Republican state in the nation in six of the past eight presidential elections, a BYU poll released Monday reveals that Huckabee would pull off the seemingly impossible.

As GOP nominee, he would lose the state of Utah in a hypothetical matchup with Democrat Barack Obama, 58 percent to 42 percent.

Romney, by contrast, would defeat Obama 69 percent to 31 percent. McCain would also win against Obama, though by a more modest 55 percent to 45 percent.

Still, there are limits to how much Utah dislikes Huckabee: In a head-to-head matchup with Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton, Huckabee wins handily, 60 percent to 41 percent.
Utah's Mormons loathe Huckabee - Richard T. Cullen - Politico.com

What do you think about this? Is there anything that Huckabee could do at this point to get in the Mormon's good graces? What effect do you think that Huckabee would have as the VP (the more likely role) in Utah's election?

Huckabee seems to be doing damage control: Salt Lake Tribune - Huckabee: Perceived anti-LDS comment taken out of context, misunderstood. I don't know why he would care at this point. Oregon?!? Is he realizing that he could have won Washington if the LDS Romney supporters hadn't stayed home?

A

angellous_evangellous

That certainly restores my faith in America. :) Huckleberry simply confirms how desperate some Republicans are at this juncture in time. How anyone could take him seriously is quite beyond me.

Me too. I heard this morning on NPR some folks in Wisconson who said they will vote for him to send McCain a "message." Gee whiz.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which of Huckabee's policies do the Utahans (?) disagree with?
Jonny's link doesn't make clear what the bone of contention is.

jonny

Which of Huckabee's policies do the Utahans (?) disagree with?
Jonny's link doesn't make clear what the bone of contention is.

It isn't an issue of policy. It is an issue of bigotry. Huckabee and his supporters ran a campaign that specifically used Mitt Romney's religion as a wedge issue. He refused to state whether or not he would feel comfortable voting for a Mormon until he was pressed, and then he had some ridiculous talking points about how he couldn't vote for a Mormon who was a flip-flopper (an obvious attack on Romney). He then made his infamous NY Times statement, which Mormons recognized immediately as the SBC anti-Mormon talking points. His supporters were mailing out Christmas cards from the Romney family with obscure quotes about polygamy addressed from the Boston LDS Temple. Then, there was the anti-Mormon push polls and robo-dialing. Also, Huckabee participated as the keynote speaker in the SBC conference in Salt Lake where the Southern Baptists came to Utah to convince the Mormons that we were going to hell. Finally, his official campaign website was used to support anti-Mormon material.

This, along with the nasty campaign that Huckabee waged against Romney (remember the "i want to knock his teeth out" quote), put an extremely nasty taste in Mormons mouths for Mike Huckabee.

McCain "sinned" against the Mormons also, but his attacks were not as direct and much more subtle, so there aren't the hard feelings against him that there are against Huckabee. I do have a question for McCain though. If he discovered that a campaign staffer was sending out emails about Obama that were racist, would the staffer be fired? I think the obvious answer is yes. I'd like McCain to explain why then he didn't fire the staffer who was discovered to be sending out anti-Mormon emails about Romney.

For me, voting for Mike Huckabee makes about as much sense as a black man voting for the president of the KKK. I don't know if the feelings are rational, but I suppose the feelings rarely are.

jonny

To be fair, he's running a nasty campaign against John McCain also. When I was at home last week in Washington, on the morning of the election my parent's home was bombarded by robocalls. I kid you not. The call started out, "John McCain has voted to allow scientific experimentation on babies," and went on to pretty much call McCain a baby killer.

That's an interesting take on stem cell research...