• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah becomes first state in 2023 to ban gender-affirming care for transgender minors

We Never Know

No Slack
I have no problem with this being having sex with someone under 18 is sex with a minor and is a crime. Under 18 is key here.

Utah becomes first state in 2023 to ban gender-affirming care for transgender minors

"The state's Republican-dominated Legislature fast-tracked the bill – which prohibits transgender surgery for those under the age of 18 and bars hormone treatments for minors who have not yet been diagnosed with gender dysphoria – two days after its session opened Jan. 17. GOP Gov. Spencer Cox signed the legislation Saturday.

So far this year, at least 10 other states have introduced bills targeting such health care access for transgender and gender-nonconforming people: Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.

In 2022, at least 15 states restricted access to gender-affirming care or considered laws that would do so, according to the Williams Institute. Some of the bills carried penalties for health care providers and even families."

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Whilst I can agree that sex reassignment surgery for those under 18 is typically unnecessary (I think?) and should be put off and indeed I would think a diagnosis would need to be made for hormonal treatments.
I remain a little “skeptical.”
Surgery is after all a part of medical science in general and is often performed on minors for various reasons. Many of them carrying long lasting results. A medical/mental health expert should be the one to determine whether or not that is necessary in a specific case. Not politicians. Like ever
And sure hormone blockers I think seems a good compromise until the individual decides their ultimate future. Fair enough
I don’t know though. I’m not an expert on these matters by a long shot. Given the apparent high suicide rate reported for tans youth, blocking such medicine by law can lead to some very unfortunate results. And recent headlines about folks freaking out over trans people and legislating against their care has my back up against the wall.

But like I said, not an expert. So… I dunno

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I have no problem with this being having sex with someone under 18 is sex with a minor and is a crime. Under 18 is key here.

"The state's Republican-dominated Legislature fast-tracked the bill – which prohibits transgender surgery for those under the age of 18 and bars hormone treatments for minors who have not yet been diagnosed with gender dysphoria – two days after its session opened Jan. 17. GOP Gov. Spencer Cox signed the legislation Saturday.

So far this year, at least 10 other states have introduced bills targeting such health care access for transgender and gender-nonconforming people: Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.

In 2022, at least 15 states restricted access to gender-affirming care or considered laws that would do so, according to the Williams Institute. Some of the bills carried penalties for health care providers and even families."

Meh.

Bad idea. While they shouldn't be getting reassignment surgery that young. Gender affirming care should still be given. What a crock of phooey.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Meh.

Bad idea. While they shouldn't be getting reassignment surgery that young. Gender affirming care should still be given. What a crock of phooey.
Meh.

I would suggest reading the article. Let me quote from it:

" which prohibits transgender surgery for those under the age of 18 and bars hormone treatments for minors who have not yet been diagnosed with gender dysphoria "

Hopefully doctors are not prescribing drugs without a diagnosis. That would seem to go against their oath. In other words this bill does not really appear to make any difference. It is just more posturing by the Republican party.

Though after scanning it again the article may be poorly worded. They may mean no future prescriptions, but I have a feeling that the state would be overstepping its legal authority by doing so. At the very least a judge will put a hold on this bill.

Soandso

Whilst I can agree that sex reassignment surgery for those under 18 is typically unnecessary (I think?) and should be put off and indeed I would think a diagnosis would need to be made for hormonal treatments.
I remain a little “skeptical.”
Surgery is after all a part of medical science in general and is often performed on minors for various reasons. Many of them carrying long lasting results. A medical/mental health expert should be the one to determine whether or not that is necessary in a specific case. Not politicians. Like ever
And sure hormone blockers I think seems a good compromise until the individual decides their ultimate future. Fair enough
I don’t know though. I’m not an expert on these matters by a long shot. Given the apparent high suicide rate reported for tans youth, blocking such medicine by law can lead to some very unfortunate results. And recent headlines about folks freaking out over trans people and legislating against their care has my back up against the wall.

But like I said, not an expert. So… I dunno

These are my feelings, too. What about kids who are intersex? It's not just about transgender kids - there are other factors to consider as well

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
These are my feelings, too. What about kids who are intersex? It's not just about transgender kids - there are other factors to consider as well
Exactly! Like for example, the condition known as Swyer Syndrome. Typically the person is born “externally female” but with external gonads that are typically removed at birth for medical reasons. That could be interpreted as sex reassignment surgery. Potentially
Politicians should be following the advice of medical professionals. Not interfering in medical matters, imo. That’s really none of their business

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
That part of your statement doesn't need the disclaimer at the end. I'm also not an expert but I'm pretty sure that that is true in any case.
You would think so. Apparently law makers disagree.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Exactly! Like for example, the condition known as Swyer Syndrome. Typically the person is born “externally female” but with external gonads that are typically removed at birth for medical reasons. That could be interpreted as sex reassignment surgery. Potentially
Politicians should be following the advice of medical professionals. Not interfering in medical matters, imo. That’s really none of their business

Can't forget the guevedoces either.

"In the Dominican Republic, güevedoces (from Spanish: güevedoce, from Dominican Spanish güevo a doce 'penis at twelve') are children with a specific type of intersexuality. Güevedoces are classified as girls when they are born but, around the age of 12, they start developing male genitalia."

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
While I think that people under the age of 18 ought to receive a diagnosis before receiving hormone replacement therapy, I don't like the possible motive and direction this is going... To me, given which states are looking to pass bills like this, it reeks of "we want to control and limit transgender healthcare one step at a time because we dislike it" rather than "we care about the mental health and physical wellbeing of the youth in our state"... I feel like it's only a matter of time until it becomes more and more unreasonable.

I don't like the trend of the state getting between doctors and their patients, either.

We Never Know

No Slack
While I think that people under the age of 18 ought to receive a diagnosis before receiving hormone replacement therapy, I don't like the possible motive and direction this is going... To me, given which states are looking to pass bills like this, it reeks of "we want to control and limit transgender healthcare one step at a time because we dislike it" rather than "we care about the mental health and physical wellbeing of the youth in our state"... I feel like it's only a matter of time until it becomes more and more unreasonable.

I don't like the trend of the state getting between doctors and their patients, either.

Under 18 is key here as I said in the OP.

It would be illegal for the Dr over 18 to have sex with them but its ok for the same Dr to change their sex??? Really!

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Under 18 is key here as I said in the OP.

It would be illegal for the Dr over 18 to have sex with them but its ok for the same Dr to change their sex??? Really!
Doctors have arguably done exactly that for hundreds if not thousands of years. Hermaphroditism is a good example, where the sex is quite literally determined at birth by medical professionals and surgery is performed to accomplish this.
Babies have all sorts of life altering medical procedures performed on them every single day
Welcome to medical science and indeed human biology

We Never Know

No Slack
Doctors have arguably done exactly that for hundreds if not thousands of years. Hermaphroditism is a good example, where the sex is quite literally determined at birth by medical professionals and surgery is performed to accomplish this.
Babies have all sorts of life altering medical procedures performed on them every single day
Welcome to medical science and indeed human biology

Thousands of years ago they also made human sacrifices

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I am starting to wonder why we even need doctors any more. The State legislatures can decide what treatment people do or don’t need.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

That is a problem.