• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using the word GOD?

Rex

Founder
I notice that most people use the word GOD very loosely. I know most people when they hear this word they immediately identifiy with the Christian GOD which I think is a mistake b/c they should think of the Holy Trinity, i think.

But what does GOD mean to you?

To me it just means a higher being or power.

God is everything and nothing
God is everywhere and nowhere
God is everywhen and no when

God is all that was, is and will be......

Nothing is not God....
Everything is one.....and everything IS God

But God is also everything and outside of everything...the great unmanifest...that which is nothing..that which is beyond ...ain, ain soph, ain soph aur.....(father, mother child...)

When I see a tree that IS God...when I look at garbage that is God...when I see the unity and beauty of ALL...that is God......

BuT...God is beyong concept...God is beyond proof
ALL is conjecture.....

"those who know do not speak, those that speak do not know" Lao Tzu

(a quote about the futility of language to begin to define God)

It's just a word :: shrug :: it doesn't really bring anything to mind for me.... when I first set out on my path, God and Goddess - as words - were extremely important.. but after a while you realise that it's just a word... I prefer "divine spirit", "deity" as they do not force a gender onto my devotion :)

Words convey conciousness..conciousness defines reality....

Words are important.....
The Judaic "God" used words to create all reality....

But I get your point Lilu....
When I say 'God' I mean everything...absolutely everything...from my toe nails to Angels..all is God....

Why isnt my avatar working!!!

Rex

Founder
Master Hoomer said:
Words convey conciousness..conciousness defines reality....

Words are important.....
The Judaic "God" used words to create all reality....

But I get your point Lilu....
When I say 'God' I mean everything...absolutely everything...from my toe nails to Angels..all is God....

Why isnt my avatar working!!!

Not sure why it is not working. Maybe bad link? Maybe wrong size for avatar?

Alaric

Master Hoomer said:
God is everything and nothing
God is everywhere and nowhere
God is everywhen and no when

God is all that was, is and will be......

Nothing is not God....
Everything is one.....and everything IS God

But God is also everything and outside of everything...the great unmanifest...that which is nothing..that which is beyond ...ain, ain soph, ain soph aur.....(father, mother child...)

When I see a tree that IS God...when I look at garbage that is God...when I see the unity and beauty of ALL...that is God......

BuT...God is beyong concept...God is beyond proof
ALL is conjecture.....

"those who know do not speak, those that speak do not know" Lao Tzu

(a quote about the futility of language to begin to define God)

MH, if God is undefinable, what is the point of the word? Why don't we just say 'everything', and leave it at that? I'm sure that most people feel that God should have at least some defining characteristics, or invoking the term will not say anything meaningful.

MH, if God is undefinable, what is the point of the word? Why don't we just say 'everything', and leave it at that? I'm sure that most people feel that God should have at least some defining characteristics, or invoking the term will not say anything meaningful.

Because God is God.....I cannot teach calculus to a dog....anymore than I will ever understand God fully.....

God can be defined...facets..aspects of "God"...no more....People NEED to catorgrize and label to COPE..with reality........

When one truly begins to know God in anyform...you do know...there are no words..or concepts that could come close to defing "God"......

Language by its very nature defines coinciousness...but by definning conciousness...you are limiting it..as you are lessening it..by communicating it with language.....

In a way many great mystics..have realised this......have reealised this and tried to use a whole new language....one example we all know would be...albert einstein ..in albert's case......maths

God is definable...but only if you realise it is PART..a facet....
Words and language will never define God....not fully

"its the map not the territory"

God, Goddess same thing...sorry..God is male and female and much more besides.....

How can you seperate the controller from the controlled?
How can you seperate the observer from the observer?
..a pound of flesh without a drop of blood.....

God is my favourite pair of nipples :wink:

Witch9

I agree most people use the word God very loosely, but not that we should refer to the Trinity instead; that also gives the word a Christian connotation.

I like the concept that (god) is unknown and unknowable, at least to those of us who are here as humans in this dimension. Hawking described the word as humanity's attempt to explain the unknown.

As a Witch I like using Goddess rather than God, and the Triple Goddess is a variation on the Trinity concept, but I recognize Goddess as a metaphoric label. Mostly I use The Mystery to describe whatever was before conscious awareness.

The real word is ALLAH use for GOD the one supreme power that rule over the universe and make fate of others good or bad so that other can learn through it. and He also tell his right path in the last Holy book that is Quran and that is the only truth which i know.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I use the term God as a catch-all term for a few things.
I don't think I should, though, since it seems to confuse people.

Perceiver

I seek to introduce a word for celestial beings (Athena, Odin, Thoth, Agni, Indra, etc.) that distinguishes them from Ultimate Reality (God). Primarily, the role of deities (like the devas in Hindusim) are like those of archangels. Moreover, sometimes the use of capitals for distinguishing The Absolute (GOD) from “gods” is not always practiced. For instance, comic strips and comic books tend to use all capital letters. While deity can be a substitute, it is still not satisfying when used in the same matter as "God" (e.g. The Deity).

Old English "os" originally referred to the Anglo-Saxon celestials. It fell out of use during Christianization. Today it is just used as prefix for names today (e.g. Oscar, Oswin, Osborne) and its old plural form “ēse” is just not appealing. Nor is making "os" plural as "osses." Additionally, another use of os in Modern English comes from a Latin root referring to bones (e.g. ossify, osteoporosis).

“Aesir” only refers to the Nordic celestials. Also, “aesir" is the plural form. Singular form is "áss."

Then I looked at the Old High German & Gothic cognate, "ans" (Gothic plural form is “anses” while the Old Higher German plural form is “anseis”). Ans, aesir, and Old English os also share the same root with “asura” and “ahura.”

Moreover, Gothic "ans" and “anses” sounded good. So my proposed neologism is “ons.” I go with this spelling due to the fact that Modern English “ans” is actually the plural form of the “an” article.
"Ons" shall be pronounced as AWNS (plural form “onses” pronounced as ON-siz). The feminine singular form “onsess” shall be pronounced as AWN-sess (plural form “onsesses” pronounced as AWN-ses-siz).
If anyone or any religion regards their view of Ultimate Reality/The Absolute/God as having subordinate manifestations (like devas)...then such beings are onses. But if you regard all such celestial beings as equal partners to the Almighty, than no ons can in any sense of the word be.

Last edited:

Daemonic Coyote

We have named God because if we didn't, we would have no understanding of religion. In order to teach others of our religions, they need to understand what it is we are worshipping/following. Therefore, if it has no name, it will be very difficult to reach understanding.

PhAA

Grand Master
That's just egocentric. You just consider your own religion. This forum is for everyone, every religion, and also free thinkers. "god" should be a collective term for all the higher being that some people believe in since you can't prove that your faith is the correct one.