• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using he or she in sentences is politically incorrect

QuestioningMind

This is not about common courtesy. I have plenty of desire for common courtesy. I don't do as you suggest I'm doing.

He and she are words that many people are still very content with referring, and being referred by. I shouldn't have to give them up in their proper context.

I have no problem with using words that people prefer for themselves within reason. I have no argument with non binary people being called whatsoever they wish. I shouldn't have to give up my binary language though when it does apply.

I think people get way too offended by language usage like this.
You asked why you should care and I simply provided you with an example of why you might. I'm not aware of anyone suggesting that using the words he and she in language should be forbidden. I've certainly never been asked to 'give them up'. Has this seriously happened to you?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I'll use whatever pronoun a person prefers. Its no matter to me. I'll use the one I suspect they fit unless corrected, and then I'll use that one.

I am comfortable being referred to as he/she/cat. I don't want to be called zee/they/whale.
does anyone beside me use cat/Catself pronouns for you? Not that it matters just curious. Also your dislike for zee/they/whale is noted. I'll keep that in mind for the future

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
This is not about common courtesy. I have plenty of desire for common courtesy. I don't do as you suggest I'm doing.

He and she are words that many people are still very content with referring, and being referred by. I shouldn't have to give them up in their proper context.

I have no problem with using words that people prefer for themselves within reason. I have no argument with non binary people being called whatsoever they wish. I shouldn't have to give up my binary language though when it does apply.

this is so confusing to me. I am nonbinary ok. Who the hell is telling you not to refer to people whose prefer pronouns are she or he by she or he? I know no one who thinks this. Especially nonbinary folk who understand referring to people by prefer pronouns. Heck I know nonbinary folk who use he or she as their preferred pronouns. I just wish people would use my preferred pronouns they/them for me instead of constantly using she/her for me. It's a fight even tho they is used singular all the time and no one bats an eye till it's used for nonbinary folk. Also it's not hard to change your language it just seems like laziness when folk insist on she or he for me. But I'd never tell you not to use he for @The Hammer or she for say @Viker cuz those are their preferred pronouns. And I use cat/catself for @JustGeorge cuz cat said cat likes said pronoun and I think that's a cool *** pronoun

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Sounds like you feel passed by by changes in language.

Any reason, though, that this is the issue that you decided to latch onto?

I mean, I know I didn't pick up on "yeet" until after "yeet" was cringe... and now even "cringe" is cringe. I'm a middle-aged white guy who's now kinda out-of-touch in a lot of ways with how younger people speak. If that was your issue, I'd empathize, but you only decided to complain about a change in language that acknowledges traditionally marginalized people, so you've sure created the impression that it's specifically the acknowledgement of traditionally marginalized people that you object to.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I suppose this is par for the course for RF, but is there any more substance to this than a single line in the title, and a long string of people complaining about an imaginary problem?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'll use whatever pronoun a person prefers. Its no matter to me. I'll use the one I suspect they fit unless corrected, and then I'll use that one.

I am comfortable being referred to as he/she/cat. I don't want to be called zee/they/whale.
Whassup, Dolphin?

idea

Question Everything
I use they/them until told otherwise.

I have a gender-neutral name, and am often called the wrong pronoun because I am a female in a male-dominated field - so emails / first correspondence before meeting someone they often get pronoun wrong. One of my colleagues is a male with a name that sounds female in America (they are not from America), so also often gets called the wrong pronoun. I work with many people from all over the world - very difficult to correctly pronounce let alone know who they are, and it is just safer for everyone to keep it all they/them.

Sexism - political/religious/leadership percentages is a real thing. I do not want to be distinguished in any way for my gender - I am where I am despite my gender, and would rather just do my job without gender being any part of it.

Gender, age, race - none of that belongs anywhere in the workforce, so within the professional realm, I feel they/them is best for everyone. I mean you would not call someone "the Christian George" or "the African Jill", or "The female Martha" at work would you? More professional to keep all of that they/them. For family - call someone your grandmother/gradfather/Nana etc. or for close acquaintance then you use it - but anything outside of very close relationships should be neutral.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Sounds like you feel passed by by changes in language.

Any reason, though, that this is the issue that you decided to latch onto?

I mean, I know I didn't pick up on "yeet" until after "yeet" was cringe... and now even "cringe" is cringe. I'm a middle-aged white guy who's now kinda out-of-touch in a lot of ways with how younger people speak. If that was your issue, I'd empathize, but you only decided to complain about a change in language that acknowledges traditionally marginalized people, so you've sure created the impression that it's specifically the acknowledgement of traditionally marginalized people that you object to.

I don't object to those that have been marginalized being acknowledged. I was given misinformation about the use of he and she.

The use of he and she seems to offend certain people because of gender issues. It's not just non binary issues. It's also in the workplace as mentioned by @idea.

Hypersensitivity to being offended is how I view it. I did grow up not being hypersensitive to language usage. I always thought of he and she in equal terms so I've never had prejudice about gender. Yet if I use he and she in some contexts, people will get offended now?

No matter what there is someone getting offended.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
does anyone beside me use cat/Catself pronouns for you? Not that it matters just curious. Also your dislike for zee/they/whale is noted. I'll keep that in mind for the future

Nope, only you use cat in reference to catself. :)

What the heck is yeet?

idea

Question Everything
The use of he and she seems to offend certain people because of gender issues. It's not just non binary issues. It's also in the workplace as mentioned by @idea.

I'm not offended by it, just see they/them as more professional.

Yes, this goes much deeper than non-binary issues, it is one way to reduce sexism. I am a happy married-with-kids mom at home, am not transgender, but prefer they/them at work because gender-neutral language eliminates much conscience and subconscious bias.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
What makes people think they are so important?

Let’s be real. With most people I am not going to bother remembering your name, much less your “preferred pronouns”. As soon as our business is concluded I am gone and you will probably never see me again. I will not be going through your dictionary of leftist propaganda with you reviewing every little thing you identify as. I honestly don’t care.