• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using AI in debates.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It is very easy to check. That is what formalist mathematicians do every day. They do not care in the slightest about so called reality, language or anything. Their truths are nothing but the result of syntactic manipulations of symbols according to well defined and fixed rules.

There's no problem as long as the framework does not depart from symbols.

The rules of logic. There are results in math that are completely at odds with our reality. Like the Tarski Banach paradox. Even very basic results of math are totally at odds with our reality, especially when they involve infinite quantities. Yet, those results are, within the premises of classical logic and the axioms, true. Formalism (philosophy of mathematics) - Wikipedia

Great! There's no problem as long as the conclusions developed are qualified "this is not real"

So, it looks like you are confusing logic with nomology. The latter being a proper subset of the former. To make an example, there are no logical barriers against flying pigs, while there are a lot of nomological ones. In fact, a miracle from God might be defined as something that breaks only nomology, but not logic.

The barriers are relevance and evidence. The logic you are using is ignorant of both.

but let’s see if we can find a compromise that will stop this comical conversation. I am going to change my claim, in the hope that it will be more appealing to your intuition, language, or whatever, while still being compliant to classical logic. Aren’t I magnanimous?

Your own "classical logic" shows that any positive assertion on non-existence is false. It's not just ME. I instinctivley knew that was the case because I have principles.

Here we go. This is my new claim, still under the premise that I do not know any Jew:

P1) I do not know any Jew who believes in God.

Brilliant! That's a true statement. well done.

are we cool with that?

Definitely. Thank you.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Definitely. Thank you.
Win win situation.

Since I can obtain back my original statement by application of just one rule of logic. Namely the rule for negating existential qualifiers.

And therefore, both statements are logically equivalent. Which is a good thing. So, that we basically agree on the same thing.

ciao

- viole

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I can obtain back my original statement by application of just one rule of logic. Namely the rule for negating existential qualifiers.

No, your original statement was false and incomplete. The best you can do is change it to the follwing but even that violates the law of non-contradiction.

All the Jews I VACUOUSLY-know are atheists and not atheists.

To make it complete, the word vacuous must be added, and the negation of atheists must be added.

And therefore, both statements are logically equivalent. Which is a good thing. So, that we basically agree on the same thing.

No, they aren't. When the terms are defined properly:

A Jew is either Atheist or not, but cannot be both: A known Jew is thus defined: J(x):{ Atheist XOR Not-Atheist }
If you don't know any Jews, and if the statement "All the Jews I know are Atheist" is considered true, then "All the Jews I know are not-Atheist" must also be considered true.
This contradicts the definition of a Jew.
"All the Jews I know are atheists" cannot be considered true, it is a contradiction of the definition of a Jew, if no Jews are known.

However! Using the same definition of a known Jew, negating it produces a tautology. This is evident from analyzing the truth table for XOR.

P | Q | P XOR Q
T | T | False
T | F | True
F | T | True
F | F | False

P | Q | Not ( P XOR Q )
T | T | True
T | F | False
F | T | False
F | F | True

In this case, P = Atheist and Q = Not Atheist

Notice, the top row and the bottom row of the truth table for Not-XOR. That's a tautology showing that ( Atheist and Not Atheist ) is true, and (Not Atheist and Atheist ) is true. And this is true for any set and any property and any proposition excluding its identity. This relationship between XOR and ~XOR IS classical logic, and it proves that any positive assertion about a property of an empty set is ALWAYS false. But, any negative assertion about an empty set it true. Again, with the one exception, of self-referential identity. The empty set is empty. Unknown Jews are unknown. etc.

Any property is mutually exclusive with the negation of that property. But the version of logic you are employing repeatedly ignores this and asserts a vacuous-truth about a property without asserting the negation of that property which is also simultaneously vacuously-true. This happens when terms are not defined properly, and sets which are not *actually* empty are modeled as if they are. It doesn't need to be problem, it's good and useful to construct sets that happen to empty, and to consider them like THE empty-set, and to model the empty-set behavior, but any conclusion that is reached MUST accomodate and acknowledge the inherent faults in the model.

If a set is constructed and modeled after THE empty set, and a logical conclusion is developed which indicates that this so-called empty-set has magically filled with any property, then... something has gone horribly wrong. The model was in appropriate, the method is flawed, some incorrect assumption was made along the way... In this case, it's multiple things that have gone wrong.

Win win situation.

No. It's a lose-win. You lost and I won.
  1. You had to change your claim twice
  2. I have shown that your claim is incomplete omitting "vacuous"
  3. I have shown that your claim is incomplete omitting the corresponding contradiction
  4. I have shown that the contradiction is being considered true in violation of the law of non-contradiction in classical logic
  5. I wrote a formal rigorous sound proof using classical logic establishing these facts
  6. I have summarized this proof above so that many can understand the faults in your positive assertion
  7. I have shown the logical difference between evaluating a positive assertion on non-existence compared to a negative assertion on non-existence.
  8. All of this is supported by Stanford university in its encyclopedia of philosophy in the entry on "Contradiction". It's not just ME saying this.
  9. Your objection to philosophy is rejected because logic is philosophy, and the law of non-contradiction is "classical logic".
  10. None of your arguments against my postition have been able to gain traction, all you have been able to bring is Youtubes of people who agree, but none of them address the contradiction of considering something true, when its mutually exclusive corresponding property is simultaneaously considered true.
So that's it. The debate is over. You lost and lost repeatedly. I understand that this idea "the empty-set obtains all" is a widely accepted notion, but, that doesn't make it *actually* true. Believe it or not, AI cautioned me about the oppostion I would encounter challenging it.

[/spolier]

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
No, your original statement was false and incomplete. The best you can do is change it to the follwing but even that violates the law of non-contradiction.

All the Jews I VACUOUSLY-know are atheists and not atheists.

To make it complete, the word vacuous must be added, and the negation of atheists must be added.

No, they aren't. When the terms are defined properly:

A Jew is either Atheist or not, but cannot be both: A known Jew is thus defined: J(x):{ Atheist XOR Not-Atheist }
If you don't know any Jews, and if the statement "All the Jews I know are Atheist" is considered true, then "All the Jews I know are not-Atheist" must also be considered true.
This contradicts the definition of a Jew.
"All the Jews I know are atheists" cannot be considered true, it is a contradiction of the definition of a Jew.

However! Using the same definition of a known Jew, negating it produces a tautology. This is evident from analyzing the truth table for XOR.

P | Q | P XOR Q
T | T | False
T | F | True
F | T | True
F | F | False

P | Q | Not ( P XOR Q )
T | T | True
T | F | False
F | T | False
F | F | True

In thise case, P = Atheist and Q = Not Atheist

Notice, the top row and the bottom row of the truth table for Not-XOR. That's a tautology showing that ( Atheist and Not Atheist ) is true, and (Not Atheist and Atheist ) is true. And this is true for any set and any property and any proposition excluding its identity. This relationship between XOR and ~XOR IS classical logic, and it proves that any positive assertion about a property of an empty set is ALWAYS false. But, any negative assertion about an empty set it true. Again, with the one exception, of self-referential identity. The empty set is empty. Unknown Jews are unknown. etc.

Any property is mutually exlcusive with the negation of that property. But the version of logic you are employing repeatedly ignores this and asserts a vacuous-truth about a property without asserting the negation of that property which is also simultaneously vacuously-true. This happens when terms are not defined properly, and sets which are not *actually* empty are modeled as if they are. It doesn't need to be problem, it's good and useful to contruct sets that happen to empty, and to consider them empty, and to model the empty-set behavior, but any conclusion that is reached MUST accomodate and acknowledge the inherent faults in the model.

If a set is constructed and modeled after THE empty set, and a logical conclusion is developed which indicates that this so-called empty-set has magically filled with any property, then... something has gone horribly wrong. The model was in appropriate, the method is flawed, some incorrect assumption was made along the way... In this case, it's multiple things that have gone wrong.

No. It's a lose-win. You lost and I won.
  1. You had to change your claim twice
  2. I have shown that your claim is incomplete omitting "vacuous"
  3. I have shown that your claim is incomplete omitting the corresponding contradiction
  4. I have shown that the contradiction is being considered true in violation of the law of non-contradiction in classical logic
  5. I wrote a formal rigorous sound proof using classical logic establishing these facts
  6. I have summarized this proof above so that many can understand the faults in your positive assertion
  7. I have shown the logical difference between evaluating a positive assertion on non-existence compared to a negative assertion on non-existence.
  8. All of this is supported by Stanford university in its encyclopedia of philosophy in the entry on "Contradiction". It's not just ME saying this.
  9. Your objection to philosophy is rejected because logic is philosophy, and the law of non-contradiction is "classical logic".
  10. None of your arguments against my postition have been able to gain traction, all you have been able to bring is Youtubes of people who agree, but none of them consider the contradiction of considering something true, when its mutually exclusive corresponding property is simultaneaously considered true.
So that's it. The debate is over. You lost and lost repeatedly. I understand that this is idea "the empty-set obtains all" is a widely accepted notion, but, that doesn't make it *actually* true. Believe it or not, AI cautioned me about the oppostion I would encounter challenging it.
  1. I don’t know any Jew who believes in God ===
  2. There exists no Jew that I know who believes in God ===
  3. It is not the case that it exists one Jewish acquaintance such that: he/she believes in God ===
  4. For All Jews acquaintances : it is not the case that he/she believes in God ===
  5. All Jews I know do not believe in God ===
  6. All the Jews I know are Atheists

The only not trivial step is between 3) and 4) where I systematically apply the rule to negate an existential qualifier; Existential qualifier turns into universal qualifiers (“it exists” becomes “for all”) and the negation (“it is not the case”) slips inside. As in the course that I posted.

The other steps are just different English for the same thing. Therefore, the conclusion follows from the initial claim, inescapably.

Ciao

- viole

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
  3. It is not the case that it exists one Jewish acquaintance such that: he/she believes in God ===
  4. For All Jews acquaintances : it is not the case that he/she believes in God ===

This is incomplete. ^^

1. I don’t know any Jew who believes in God and not believes in God ===
  2. There exists no Jew that I know who believes in God and not believes in God ===
  3. It is not the case that it exists one Jewish acquaintance such that: he/she believes in God and not believes in God ===
  4. For All Jews acquaintances : it is not the case that he/she believes in God and not believes in God ===
  5. For all Jews acquaintences : it is the case that he/she believes in God and not believes in God is a contradiction.
  6. All Jews I know, it is not the case that he/she does not believe in God and believes in God ( restating step 4, definition of "AND" ) ===
  7. All the Jews I know, it is not the case that they are Atheists and not-Atheists.
Compared to:
There is a lot omitted from your so-called proof. One can see that precision is being reduced step by step, leading to the final statement in step 6, which is removing as many words as possible.

You need to include "it is not the case" in steps 6 and 7 in order for this to begin to be valid. And the contradiction needs to be declared.

The only not trivial step is between 3) and 4) where I systematically apply the rule to negate an existential qualifier; Existential qualifier turns into universal qualifiers (“it exists” becomes “for all”) and the negation (“it is not the case”) slips inside. As in the course that I posted.

Sure, but you omitted "it is not the case" in the remainder of the steps.

The other steps are just different English for the same thing. Therefore, the conclusion follows from the initial claim, inescapably.

No, they're not. And it's easily escaped once "it is not the case" is included instead of omitted.

You lose, again.

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
@dybmh @viole
Sooo uh there are a couple threads now where you guys can continue your conversation over the statement "All the Jews I know are atheists."
Don't derail this thread with that conversation pls :)
For this thread, I'm interested in the topic of integration of AI in online debates. Maybe I am not seeing how your guy's current conversation relates?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@dybmh @viole
Sooo uh there are a couple threads now where you guys can continue your conversation over the statement "All the Jews I know are atheists."
For this thread, I'm interested in the topic of integration of AI in online debates. Maybe I am not seeing how your guy's current conversation relates?

Sorry. One small item, the AI correctly cautioned me about the opposition I would receive when challenging this widely accepted notion. I'll put my replies in a spoiler and refer @viole back to the other thread.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I don’t know any Jew who believes in God and not believes in God ===
Nope. The first step is “I don’t know any Jew who believes in God”. no need to add anything to it.

you agreed with it. Therefore, either you are schizophrenic, or you must accept your previous admission, that this sentence is true, according to my premise that I do not know any Jews. And it is true, oder?

therefore, not only your argument fails immediately, by adding unnecessary things to what is already true, but it contradicts your own admission that it is indeed the case that “I don’t know any Jew who believes in God”.

therefore, it collapses at the first line in a cloud of inconsistency, and self defeating declarations. :)

ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
@dybmh @viole
Sorry, my bad. i thought we were still on the old one. Maybe mods can bring it back there. Or I will do it in the next post.

ciao

- viole