• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Useful Religion

Aldrnari

Today, while working, I had a little bit of a realisation.

While some people look for truth, meaning, and purpose in religion, I had always wondered why I was so interested. I never had found those things (at least, not in a lasting way), and thought I had only looked due to historical and cultural interest. While those two things certainly are as true today as ever, there was another reason that had started to reveal itself to me.

See, through my research I have found many useful ideas that these religions introduce. Many psychological components (as well as physical, such as yoga) can be gleaned and used to help improve yourself as a person. That's started becoming a major motivation for me as of late. :)

So then, I'm curious... How/what are some ways your religious beliefs useful in day to day life? What is their practical application?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I use mindfulness religiously but not in a religious sense. Hehehe. I simply pay attention to everything and tend to slid through the middle in all my interactions. I call it the art of not leaving footprints in the snow.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Today, while working, I had a little bit of a realisation.

While some people look for truth, meaning, and purpose in religion, I had always wondered why I was so interested. I never had found those things (at least, not in a lasting way), and thought I had only looked due to historical and cultural interest. While those two things certainly are as true today as ever, there was another reason that had started to reveal itself to me.

See, through my research I have found many useful ideas that these religions introduce. Many psychological components (as well as physical, such as yoga) can be gleaned and used to help improve yourself as a person. That's started becoming a major motivation for me as of late. :)

So then, I'm curious... How/what are some ways your religious beliefs useful in day to day life? What is their practical application?
Zazen is a good practice to condition oneself for better focus and concentration.

The practice also is ideal for dealing with physical and mental issues in a manner that it's not so debilitating, and makes such things easier to traverse whenever such issues occur.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Useful?

Recently, I've been feeling a bit stressed out. Not about anything in particular, I just get in a funk sometimes. I used some tools in the boxes provided by religious studies to relax the other day, and plan to use that same tool again today. I often refer to religion as way-of-life because that's how it is for me. It's little, everyday things like this. "Useful" is not always the word I would use to describe the result. Often, the word is "fun" or "enjoyable." "Grateful" is another expressive word that emerges quite often.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I look at virtues as qualities of being: I meditate on their meanings as purely understood. I clear my head of all injustices and simply focus on their meanings and how I feel about them. I don't attach the meanings to people til lastly. I think upon them in general. This raises me to an ideal state of being. I simply let all interferences pass. This cleanses me, and focuses me on my aspirations to the ideals. I allow myself to be immersed in those feelings and meanings. I don't resist them. Depending on my current state of being I might just focus on the ones I need to heal myself.

I surrender to the struggle, until I fully embrace the meanings of the virtues I am focusing on.

It requires total honesty with one's self, and the meanings applied.

Love is one, mercy, compassion, repentance, judgment, etc. . There are so many.

But I focus on one or a few as they apply.

The key is to heal, or achieve inner peace and then find inner motive and expression.

The whole meditation is in subjection and submission to the virtues. That's the main focus. To grasp and understand.

After I do this, I usually vent , and become friendly, and kind and giving.