• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA: Thousands of American Muslims Unite for Annual Convention

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community USA, the nation’s largest and oldest Muslim organization, will host the 68th annual 3-day conference to spiritually rejuvenate Muslim Americans, young and old. As the longest running American Muslim conference, it aims to reach into true Islam’s fundamentals as practiced by Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) to teach how to be a model Muslim in today’s world.

The recent attacks in San Bernardino, Orlando, Istanbul, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, and Iraq show that much of the world is in the dark about Islam’s true teachings. Distorted teachings by extremists have promoted fear and Islamophobia worldwide. In response, the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community has spearheaded a campaign entitled “True Islam and the Extremists” to educate the masses on Islam’s true teachings. Its aim is to enhance the country’s national security through a proven model that saves people from the path of extremism.

The conference will be held at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, PA from July 29- July 31st.

Everyone is welcome.

Based on: http://timesofahmad.blogspot.com/2016/07/usa-thousands-of-american-muslims-unite.html

Last edited:

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Related information about above Convention / Jalsa

=====================================================================
  • When
    July 29th - 31st 2016
  • Where
    Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex
    2300 N Cameron St, Harrisburg, PA 17110
  • Contact
    [email protected]
    (855) 47-JALSA (52572)
=====================================================================

United States of America[edit]
The First Jalasa Salana in USA was held in 1948 making it the oldest large scale Muslim gathering being continually held in the country. Its locations have varied over the decades but is currently held in Harrisburg, at thePennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center . Attendance usually peaks when the Khalifa makes a visit in person. In both 2008 and 2012, the registered attendance crossed the 10,000 mark. The event has an official website for advanced registration or general information pertaining to the event [1].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalsa_Salana

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
It delights me no end (and I'll try to soften my amazed "what took you so long?! thought) that real Muslims are finally going to step up to the plate to acknowledge and spread the meaning of the Prophet's (pbuh) true teachings. May every single hair on every single head gathering there be kept absolutely safe. Every single one.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
It delights me no end (and I'll try to soften my amazed "what took you so long?! thought) that real Muslims are finally going to step up to the plate to acknowledge and spread the meaning of the Prophet's (pbuh) true teachings. May every single hair on every single head gathering there be kept absolutely safe. Every single one.
Peace be on you.
what took you so long
They have been active for peace. In CA, you are welcome to find them to join in efforts in anyway as you like.
Good wishes.

HonestJoe

It delights me no end (and I'll try to soften my amazed "what took you so long?! Thought) that real Muslims are finally going to step up to the plate to acknowledge and spread the meaning of the Prophet's (pbuh) true teachings. May every single hair on every single head gathering there be kept absolutely safe. Every single one.

… the 68th annual 3-day conference…
What took you so long to notice? :)

Sees

Dragonslayer
I'm left wondering...how many non-Ahmadiyya Muslims typically show up? I'm sincerely glad they try, regardless. If they livestream and post up YouTube videos it will probably have a better chance at making an impact.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Premium Member
What took you so long to notice? :)

That's a legit and funny retort on the face of it :). But if the current "state of understanding" non-radicalized Islam in America (and the world!) is any indication of the success of the previous 67 conferences...? Not only that, there really are a whole bunch of people who admire or at least don't have issues with true Islam and, admittedly from the sidelines, we wonder more why Muslims aren't setting the agenda instead to educate their own misguided members rather than trying to educate misguided non-members? We aren't "afraid" of you, we're afraid of people who say they are you. Like all the other religious paths, so many are so eager for "others to understand our path" that we fail to fully dig in and work it ourselves. Christian scriptures, with which I have more familiarity, put it this way, "Take the beam out of your own eye before trying to remove the splinter from another's." IMO, the owners of the apple barrel are the ones who ought to remove the bad apples, not the poor unfortunates who end up facing an apple with explosives taped to his or her chest. (How, oh how in the world have we gotten to the point where--in the name of religion for Allah's (God's) sake!--we can train women to kill children?? How did we get here?!)

HonestJoe

That's a legit and funny retort on the face of it :). But if the current "state of understanding" non-radicalized Islam in America (and the world!) is any indication of the success of the previous 67 conferences...? Not only that, there really are a whole bunch of people who admire or at least don't have issues with true Islam and, admittedly from the sidelines, we wonder more why Muslims aren't setting the agenda instead to educate their own misguided members rather than trying to educate misguided non-members?
What makes you imagine they’re not trying to do that? It seems to be a key element of this conference (and presumably at least the more recent previous ones too). The problem is that the people who determine the national and international news narrative aren’t actually interested in telling us about this kind of thing, not least because at least part of their narrative in this area is moaning that moderate Muslims aren’t doing anything about extremism.

IMO, the owners of the apple barrel are the ones who ought to remove the bad apples, not the poor unfortunates who end up facing an apple with explosives taped to his or her chest. (How, oh how in the world have we gotten to the point where--in the name of religion for Allah's (God's) sake!--we can train women to kill children?? How did we get here?!)
True, though there is a major issue with this in that the terrorists are identified as “apples” regardless of whether they were in the barrel or not. Even if moderate Muslims entirely disassociate themselves from the extremist minorities, when the terrorist strike, they’re defined as Muslim.

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Premium Member
What makes you imagine they’re not trying to do that? It seems to be a key element of this conference (and presumably at least the more recent previous ones too). The problem is that the people who determine the national and international news narrative aren’t actually interested in telling us about this kind of thing, not least because at least part of their narrative in this area is moaning that moderate Muslims aren’t doing anything about extremism.

True, though there is a major issue with this in that the terrorists are identified as “apples” regardless of whether they were in the barrel or not. Even if moderate Muslims entirely disassociate themselves from the extremist minorities, when the terrorist strike, they’re defined as Muslim.

Honestly Joe, it's not outside the scope of my imagination to think that moderate Muslims are trying to accomplish this Herculean task. And likewise, it's a valid point that the media to which I have access is very likely not reporting or at least downplaying these efforts. Boo hiss and it's probably not conducive to maintaining my equanimity to trigger me off on the abhorrent state of the world's media. No, no.

For now, however, the "reality" is that a vast majority of non-Muslims are unable to distinguish between radicalized Muslims and the real ones because, IMO, for too long the radicals have been allowed by moderates to co-opt the Name of the Grand Apple as well as co-exist without protest in the apple barrel. To deny that, IMO, is disingenuous. Doesn't mean lost time can't be made up, but it will take a determined and united effort by all Truth-loving Muslims to get the job done. May the Lord, Remover of Obstacles, bless these efforts and crown them with success. Our entire world needs this.

HonestJoe

For now, however, the "reality" is that a vast majority of non-Muslims are unable to distinguish between radicalized Muslims and the real ones because, IMO, for too long the radicals have been allowed by moderates to co-opt the Name of the Grand Apple as well as co-exist without protest in the apple barrel. To deny that, IMO, is disingenuous. Doesn't mean lost time can't be made up, but it will take a determined and united effort by all Truth-loving Muslims to get the job done. May the Lord, Remover of Obstacles, bless these efforts and crown them with success. Our entire world needs this.
It’s not clear what you expect Muslims to do? How could they prevent extremists calling themselves Muslims too? They can, and do, speak out, condemning the terrorism and distinguishing their beliefs from those of the extremists but that’s no good if nobody listens to them. Heck, most Islamist terrorism still occurs in the Middle East and most of the targeted victims are Muslims, another fact wilfully overlooked by the mainstream narrative in the West.

Incidentally, have you even spoken out against Hindu terrorism in India?

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I'm left wondering...how many non-Ahmadiyya Muslims typically show up? I'm sincerely glad they try, regardless. If they livestream and post up YouTube videos it will probably have a better chance at making an impact.
Peace be on all.
In these annual conventions worldwide USA, UK, Canada, Germany, Australia, New Zealand + Conventions local dignitaries come and speak too:

Search words: Youtube speeches Guests English Jalsa Salana annual convention usa uk canada germany

One example is:

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Premium Member
It’s not clear what you expect Muslims to do? How could they prevent extremists calling themselves Muslims too? They can, and do, speak out, condemning the terrorism and distinguishing their beliefs from those of the extremists but that’s no good if nobody listens to them. Heck, most Islamist terrorism still occurs in the Middle East and most of the targeted victims are Muslims, another fact wilfully overlooked by the mainstream narrative in the West.

Incidentally, have you even spoken out against Hindu terrorism in India?

HJ, I have no expectations. To entertain expectation about anything is to extend a complementary invitation for disappointment to attend the party, as well, and therefore IMO not wise. Incidentally, but perhaps not obviously, I'm against terrorizing people or any being for ANY reason. Doesn't matter if it's about their religion, color, gender, sexual preference, political proclivities or level of their awareness, etc.

I don't have the answer as to how Muslims--possibly in concert with their well-wishers--can accomplish this reclamation of their religion from the ideology of terrorists using it for their own purposes. But to say Muslim terrorists aren't Muslims? Isn't that a bit of a whitewash or, at least, wishful thinking? However, I think it's much more likely that a Muslim would be able to come up with a solution because presumably, a Muslim would understand the threads and knots in the mind/heart of an individual who believes blowing up innocents is an appreciated process to please and praise "their" God--that very same Allah Who = "my" God.

As I've stated elsewhere, though, one of the first places to begin might be making sure that everyone gets that Allah never would advocate indiscriminate war on His non-Muslim children. That's an utterly preposterous position and asat, untrue. The infidel to be destroyed is one's ego (= source of ignorance and error) within. I believe this is true for and the purpose of all religion.

(Joe, you and I have to be careful here, too. I just checked and this thread is a "News" thread, not one for a debate.)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Peace be on all.
In these annual conventions worldwide USA, UK, Canada, Germany, Australia, New Zealand + Conventions local dignitaries come and speak too:

Search words: Youtube speeches Guests English Jalsa Salana annual convention usa uk canada germany

One example is:

I'm really curious too. You didn't answer the question: How many non Ammadiya Muslims actually go? Do any go? It seems to me that in all cases of the moderates working together, the target audience, and those who most desperately need to go just don't. It's like the interfaith forums, where the radicals of all stripes just don't bother to show. Therefore, everyone just ends up speaking to the already converted, which isn't a bad thing, because it does strengthen the resolve of the people there. But it doesn't really do much to spread the message of peace to those who need it the most.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I'm really curious too. You didn't answer the question: How many non Ammadiya Muslims actually go? Do any go? It seems to me that in all cases of the moderates working together, the target audience, and those who most desperately need to go just don't. It's like the interfaith forums, where the radicals of all stripes just don't bother to show. Therefore, everyone just ends up speaking to the already converted, which isn't a bad thing, because it does strengthen the resolve of the people there. But it doesn't really do much to spread the message of peace to those who need it the most.
Peace be on you.
1=According to my understating, The physical attendance in these conventions varies from about 10000 to 40000, +/- depending on place and other factors.

2=Most attendees are the members.....some members come from other countries too.

3=Members brings non-Ahmadi friends.

4=Local prominent non-Ahmadi persons from various walks of life attend, some deliver speeches.

5=IMO physical presence of non-Ahmadi guests less than 10 %.

6= But through media, coverage is quite vast. For example,in a recent tour of some countries, the message of peace by Ahmadiyya Khalifah (a.t.) reached a greater audience (mostly non-Ahmadis) :

The coverage by electronic and print media in Denmark is as follows. A national newspaper with 50,000 readers published the news of the function. A radio journalist interviewed me for 45 minutes and broadcast the same with verbatum Danish translation. The radio station has 25 to 40 thousand listeners. The TV also broadcast the news and it has 2 million viewers. Similarly through other media this message of Islam reched a total of 3 million people.

Similarly in Sweden, by newspapers, radio and TV, there were six interviews conducted. In all, the message reached about 8 million people.

Ref: http://www.khalifaofislam.com/friday-sermon/2016-05-27/

7=One feels, however, the media coverage in USA has to be increased. To be really a society representing all people, media should mention such peaceful messages in large scale. It will be good for stable society IMHO.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but now I feel the answer just won't be forthcoming. Of the 10% suggested by points 3, 4, and 5, what % of those are MUSLIMs? A non- Ahmadi friend or guests are local politicians, curious people, relatives married into, and quite likely not Muslim. So now, because of the persistent avoidance of the question, its pretty safe to assume it is ZERO, of very close to that. I could have guessed that at the beginning though.

So it is more like a Mormon convention. I remember when 18 000 Mormons gathered here one year, when President Hinckley was the prophet. I remember the local news quoting him as saying something like 'Wow, 18000 non-smoking non-drinking people in one place. I found that kind of cool.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I'm sorry, but now I feel the answer just won't be forthcoming. Of the 10% suggested by points 3, 4, and 5, what % of those are MUSLIMs? A non- Ahmadi friend or guests are local politicians, curious people, relatives married into, and quite likely not Muslim. So now, because of the persistent avoidance of the question, its pretty safe to assume it is ZERO, of very close to that. I could have guessed that at the beginning though.

So it is more like a Mormon convention. I remember when 18 000 Mormons gathered here one year, when President Hinckley was the prophet. I remember the local news quoting him as saying something like 'Wow, 18000 non-smoking non-drinking people in one place. I found that kind of cool.
Peace be on you.
Brother / Sir / Friend....
1-I gave you answer as much I knew.
2-Not avoiding anything.
3-To see things by eyes and heart, you are welcome to Canada Jalsa:
The 40th Annual Convention of Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama`at Canada will be held on October 7th, 8th, & 9th, 2016 at the International Centre in Mississauga, Ontario.
Ref: http://www.ahmadiyya.ca/member/39th-jalsa-salana-canada

There is an address etc in above link for contact.
Canada is an active chapter, if you plz contact someone they will answer you better.

4-Our message should first reach Muslims [and actually it is all people],......It reaches by their coming to
programs and websites alislam.org and mta.tv they get it.....Who do not want to get it are hardliners with links with extremists in middle east and asia.

5-Again, not avoiding, but it is news section, we cannot make long discussions.