• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Nones now 26%, says Pew

PruePhillip

I really dislike gambling, but overall, it's progress.

Yes, its 'progress' as in 'progressive'
Having half of what is left of kids in your country coming from broken
homes is called 'progress.' But conservatives don't call this progress.
The old themes of our grandparents days, ie don't get into debt, don't
drink, smoke or gamble, first the marriage and then the sex, study hard,
don't cheat, lie or steal, family honor is everything and etc.. don't hold
much sway anymore. This new world is especially toxic to women and
children.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
children.
We agree about some of the developments being bad.
But looking at the whole, it strikes me as improvement.
Some positive changes in my lifetime....
More tolerance for gays, trans, atheists, & groundskeepers.
No more military draft. Abortion rights. Gun rights.
Free speech. Less smoking. No forced school prayer.
Racial quotas ditched.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
children.
Yes... I remember hearing about my grandparents' days.

For instance, I remember my aunt telling me what my grandmother told her: that she could date a black man, but she couldn't marry one.

I also remember hearing how no woman in my family could get credit or a loan in their own name until my mother was in university.

Nostaligia for some "olden times" when things were supposedly better is either based on a fictional, sanitized version of the past, or it's steeped in some pretty heavy racism and misogyny.

PruePhillip

We agree about some of the developments being bad.
But looking at the whole, it strikes me as improvement.
Some positive changes in my lifetime....
More tolerance for gays, trans, atheists, & groundskeepers.
No more military draft. Abortion rights. Gun rights.
Free speech. Less smoking. No forced school prayer.
Racial quotas ditched.

Sure, and this is what we all must do with any set of values - determine
what we think is important. In Communist societies there is 'equality' and
some are fine with that (but still - they are two class society!) but this
'equality' comes at the cost of freedom.
What I hate is people DENYING THE COST of their values. In USA
now we have the rise of trans issues which threaten many gains made
by feminists. I don't care if someone loves trans issues - just don't pretend
there's no social cost to the them.

Joe Biden’s First Day Began the End of Girls’ Sports - WSJ

PruePhillip

Yes... I remember hearing about my grandparents' days.

For instance, I remember my aunt telling me what my grandmother told her: that she could date a black man, but she couldn't marry one.

I also remember hearing how no woman in my family could get credit or a loan in their own name until my mother was in university.

Nostaligia for some "olden times" when things were supposedly better is either based on a fictional, sanitized version of the past, or it's steeped in some pretty heavy racism and misogyny.

Yes, a woman can get a loan now. But she isn't the same 'woman' as women 'back then' were.
She's an economic unit, a worker, a consumer etc in a materialist world. She's no longer a mother
or carer like women once were. And when I read 50,000 women casualties on the front, like the
Somme in a single day, then I will accept that yes, they truly are equal. Don't hold your breath.
We are taught that being a man or a woman is shameful. Social engineering begins with language
engineering - and there it is, right there with the new administration in Washington banning the term
mother and father.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
drink, smoke or gamble,
Out of curiosity: are you actually 41 like your profile says?

I'm 43, and I remember how, when I was a kid, EVERY public space smelled like stale cigarette smoke.

My family didn't smoke, so I didn't get it at home or in the car, but every restaurant, office, etc., was filled with smoke.

It only really stopped - at least around here - when public smoking bans were passed in the 90s.

I have no idea how you could think that people didn't smoke back in the day.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, a woman can get a loan now. But she isn't the same 'woman' as women 'back then' were.
She's an economic unit, a worker, a consumer etc in a materialist world. She's no longer a mother
or carer like women once were. And when I read 50,000 women casualties on the front, like the
Somme in a single day, then I will accept that yes, they truly are equal. Don't hold your breath.
Right: back in the day, a woman being abused by her spouse often didn't have any other options. Divorce or earning an income outside the home were often practically impossible.

We are taught that being a man or a woman is shameful. Social engineering begins with language
engineering - and there it is, right there with the new administration in Washington banning the term
mother and father.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and you seem to be misinformed about the new administration in Washington.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure, and this is what we all must do with any set of values - determine
what we think is important. In Communist societies there is 'equality' and
some are fine with that (but still - they are two class society!) but this
'equality' comes at the cost of freedom.
What I hate is people DENYING THE COST of their values. In USA
now we have the rise of trans issues which threaten many gains made
by feminists. I don't care if someone loves trans issues - just don't pretend
there's no social cost to the them.

Joe Biden’s First Day Began the End of Girls’ Sports - WSJ
TERF (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists) should
get over feeling threatened by trans folk. Same for other
illiberal liberals who don't tolerate other people minding
their own business..

PruePhillip

Right: back in the day, a woman being abused by her spouse often didn't have any other options. Divorce or earning an income outside the home were often practically impossible.

I have no idea what you're talking about, and you seem to be misinformed about the new administration in Washington.

On Sunday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s Democratic majority proposed to eliminate “father, mother, son, daughter,
brother, sister” and all other language deemed insufficiently “gender-inclusive” from House rules. They would be
replaced with terms like “parent, child, sibling, parent’s sibling” and so on.

“Mother” — among the most important concepts in human life — would be erased from the lexicon of the US
House of Representatives. It’s important to recognize how radical this is. And no, it isn’t akin to updating federal
law to replace “policeman” with “police officer,” a rational corrective sought by feminists for generations.

Sorry, Pelosi: Eliminating official use of ‘mother’ isn’t inclusive — it’s waging war on women (nypost.com)

PruePhillip

Out of curiosity: are you actually 41 like your profile says?

I'm 43, and I remember how, when I was a kid, EVERY public space smelled like stale cigarette smoke.

My family didn't smoke, so I didn't get it at home or in the car, but every restaurant, office, etc., was filled with smoke.

It only really stopped - at least around here - when public smoking bans were passed in the 90s.

I have no idea how you could think that people didn't smoke back in the day.

Is that what my profile says? Ha ha. I wish.
Yeah, the end of smoking was something that surprised a lot of people - including me.
banning it in hotels sounded as strange as banning drinking in hotels.
Smoking is the one 'vice' that society is ending - probably taking over now by 'recreational
drugs.' Moral outrage is replaced with health outrage - sometimes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
On Sunday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s Democratic majority proposed to eliminate “father, mother, son, daughter,
brother, sister” and all other language deemed insufficiently “gender-inclusive” from House rules. They would be

“Mother” — among the most important concepts in human life — would be erased from the lexicon of the US
House of Representatives. It’s important to recognize how radical this is. And no, it isn’t akin to updating federal
law to replace “policeman” with “police officer,” a rational corrective sought by feminists for generations.

Sorry, Pelosi: Eliminating official use of ‘mother’ isn’t inclusive — it’s waging war on women (nypost.com)
Style is much more important than substance.
To replace "uncle" & "aunt" with "parent's sibling".
No one will accept that change. Too awkward &
too many syllables. I propose a new word....
"bleener"
Political correctness run amok is fun to watch.

PruePhillip

Style is much more important than substance.
To replace "uncle" & "aunt" with "parent's sibling".
No one will accept that change. Too awkward &
too many syllables. I propose a new word....
"bleener"
Political correctness run amok is fun to watch.

It's been said that saying "Political correctness gone mad" could be problematic. It could
imply the speaker is going along with the Orwellian speak, but under sufferance. I suggest
you won't stop this stuff, and if you want to know where it is going don't just read 1984 but
read about Mao's Cultural Revolution - the overthrow of everything religious, cultural, old and
Capitalist.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's been said that saying "Political correctness gone mad" could be problematic. It could
imply the speaker is going along with the Orwellian speak, but under sufferance. I suggest
you won't stop this stuff, and if you want to know where it is going don't just read 1984 but
read about Mao's Cultural Revolution - the overthrow of everything religious, cultural, old and
Capitalist.
Eternal vigilance will be necessary to keep the anti-capitalists at bay.

PruePhillip

Eternal vigilance will be necessary to keep the anti-capitalists at bay.

The anti-Capitalists can overthrow the economic order, but it brings swift retribution - as it did
in Venezuela. But the consequences of turning your society into a George Orwell and Mao
Tse-tung dystopia are much more long term, and won't be rectified for generations.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The anti-Capitalists can overthrow the economic order, but it brings swift retribution - as it did
in Venezuela. But the consequences of turning your society into a George Orwell and Mao
Tse-tung dystopia are much more long term, and won't be rectified for generations.
Fortunately, capitalism endures here.
But it makes AOC grind her teeth at nite.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Ah - so the actual story is nothing like you claimed. Good to know.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ah - so the actual story is nothing like you claimed. Good to know.
@PruePhillip - in case you'd care that you've been duped, here's the actual change:

The change only applies to the language in Clause 8(c)(3) of Rule XXIII, which is the Code of Official Conduct for the House. The rule states that "a member, delegate, or resident commissioner may not retain the relative of such individual in a paid position." That clause is listed at the bottom of the Fox News graphic.

Clause 8(c)(3) specifies what individuals the rule includes in the term "relative."

Previously, the clause defined "relative" as "father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, first cousin, nephew, niece, husband, wife, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, half sister, grandson, or granddaughter."

Now, the clause will define "relative" as "parent, child, sibling, parent’s sibling, first cousin, sibling’s child, spouse, parent-in-law, child-in-law, sibling-in-law, stepparent, stepchild, stepsibling, half-sibling, or grandchild."

Other changes to the text of the Rules of the 117th Congress include switching the term "seamen" to "seafarers," the word "Chairman" to "Chair," and the phrase "himself or herself" to "themself."

It's false to suggest that any of these words have been widely banned; they have simply been switched in the text of one document, the Rules of the House of Representatives.

"Its consequences were limited to that document alone, and would have no bearing on the continued ability of House members to use gender-specific language in drafting legislation and resolutions, making speeches, or conducting a debate," reads a fact-check by Snopes.
Fact check: House rules only changed gendered language in one document