• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA: Massachusetts: Blasphemy, Lascivious Acts: State Pushes to Repeal Old Laws

danieldemol

Premium Member
'BOSTON — The U.S. Supreme Court ruled anti-sodomy laws unconstitutional in 2003 and Massachusetts has legally recognized same-sex marriage since 2004, but sections of state law still feature discriminatory restrictions on sexual interactions between consenting adults, lawmakers and advocates said Tuesday.

A bill filed by Rep. Jay Livingstone (H 1758) would repeal a ban on "unnatural and lascivious acts" and strip other anti-sodomy statutes from Chapter 272 of the Massachusetts General Laws...

...Livingstone's bill would repeal or amend what he described as "10 of the most egregious examples" of outdated, unconstitutional or unenforceable laws, including a requirement that all public schools feature a daily Bible reading, criminalization of "tramps, vagabonds and vagrants," and language declaring the Communist Party "a subversive organization."

His legislation would also lift a section of state law punishing anyone who "blasphemes the holy name of God by denying, cursing or contumeliously reproaching God, his creation, government or final judging of the world."'

Source: Blasphemy, Lascivious Acts: State Pushes to Repeal Old Laws

Congratulations Massachusetts on moving to repeal these outdated laws. :)

In my opinion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I doubt that any of these antiquated laws were considered enforceable, Massachusetts being a liberal state. But there is always the possibility under certain circumstances, I guess.
Outdated laws are humorous, but not everyone is laughing | Local News | berkshireeagle.com
Laws against swearing, especially in front of women & children,
here in MI are still enforced....when the cop is in the mood.
Note also that it's both legal & common for cops to swear at
citizens (children too), it's illegal to swear at a cop. These are
laws useful for when a cop is in the mood to abuse someone.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
I doubt that any of these antiquated laws were considered enforceable, Massachusetts being a liberal state. But there is always the possibility under certain circumstances, I guess.
Outdated laws are humorous, but not everyone is laughing | Local News | berkshireeagle.com
It is nonetheless necessary to remove them because nations which do enforce such laws would point to the Massachusetts law and say something along the lines of, "blasphemy in the west! Hypocrisy!".

So it is important to consider that these laws maybe contributing to the obstruction of much needed legal reform elsewhere.

In my opinion.