• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA in top 5 most ignorant countries

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I support anything which allows Europeans to maintain their illusion of superiority over the US. Fluff articles and "studies" work just fine. They need all the help they can get.
Don't knock the Eurostanians & environs, bub!
They've come up with some great things.....
- The Blitzkreig
- Mimes
- Powdered wigs
- Snippy waiters
- Fascism
- Lutefisk
- Casi marzu (aka "maggot cheese")
- The minuette
- Modern art.....
th

Last edited:

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
It always comes down to
It is interesting that from the other side of the pond, the US does seem to revile intelligence.

In the UK science is now very sexy; the likes of Brian Cox, Alice Roberts can fill concert halls - they are on between rock acts at festivals; it bodes well for the future.

that clearly demonstrates the stark difference between science the practical method, and science the pop culture

In technology, medicine, space exploration, you name it, America has been the clear leader in the practical application of science, for over a century

So I don't think it is a coincidence, that Americans are also more likely culturally, to question beliefs like global warming, atheism, evolution that reflect academic / cultural/ political opinions more than any practical demonstrable science.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
It always comes down to

that clearly demonstrates the stark difference between science the practical method, and science the pop culture

In technology, medicine, space exploration, you name it, America has been the clear leader in the practical application of science, for over a century

So I don't think it is a coincidence, that Americans are also more likely culturally, to question beliefs like global warming, atheism, evolution that reflect academic / cultural/ political opinions more than any practical demonstrable science.

In other words, Americans can be idiots!!

Altfish

Veteran Member
Wow, a poll by Ipsos Mori, which is a "market research organisation in the United Kingdom ... works extensively for the Government of the United Kingdom, looking at public attitudes to key public services, and so informing social policy."

No possible biases there. ;)
Yes, but there have been plenty of polls they have run that the UK are bottom or near the bottom.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Published Saturday 5 December 2015 (a year ago from 2016) on the Independent, "The world's most ignorant countries revealed", article stated "The survey, carried out by Ipsos MORI published its latest results this week" viz Dec of 2015.

Here is the link:

These are the world's 10 most ignorant countries

So... isn't this the SAME Ipsos MORI (by the way, it is IPSOS not IPSO!) survey group referenced in the OP as, quote:

"An IPSO-MORI poll has found that the US is near the top for ignorance"

Well, so I checked the actual results by countries, which showed the results as follows (and a survey of people in a few dozen countries, not all, about key demographics):

The Ipsos “Index of Ignorance” 2015
1. Mexico
2. India
3. Brazil
4. Peru
5. New Zealand
6. Colombia
7. Belgium
8. South Africa
9. Argentina
10. Italy

The US wasn't even on the list of the top ten and it was one of those surveyed. So how does this square with the title of this post "USA in top 5 most ignorant countries"?

The map shown is from Denmark and isn't Ipsos MORI and puts no specific "order" from 1 to 43, just two general categories, most and not most. The data it says it is based on is provided in a link below the map, when I open that data it is unclear really if this came from Ipsos MORI at all, but let us say it did - so one year ago almost exactly, the US isn't on the top ten, then one year later it is in the top five? And under the chart which claims USA as suddenly #3 it says "Data collated from Pew Research Centre and the World Values Survey"... I cannot find this data on Ipsos MORI - instead when I use their own search engine on Ipsos MORI website, searching "ignorant" the only hit on the "most ignorant countries" is the same 2 Dec 2015 poll that doesn't have the US listed in the "top ten".

Something smells like agenda based "fake news" here. I mean, WTF? Amazing. And nonsensical. One year later the USA goes from bottom of the list to the top five?

Maybe in 2015 they did the survey of Americans in Austin TX and then in 2016 in Los Angeles CA or Baltimore.

What a joke.

This "poll" is really stupid. Or total bull ****.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Here's another thought, besides something stinks about the 2016 sourcing in the article compared to the actual hard data from 2015...

So MEXICO comes up on the top in BOTH polls, 2015 and 2016. But then by magic, the US shows up in the top five for 2016 (which the 2016 links look more like fake news rather than actual Ipsos MORI), "whatever" - but think about this. Maybe those in the survey from the US were all from states next to the Mexican border and are also Mexicans (illegal aliens who are hording over the US-Mexican border, like illegals in California for example).

Thus, you can predict "Mexicans" were polled TWICE! Once for Mexicans in Mexico and at the top, then illegal alien Mexicans in the US who ran over Obama's open border and polled again as "Americans"!

But ... if they all came from Hillary's Electoral College state of California, that *might* put the US up there.

Last edited: