• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA = ignorance USNA = knowing who you are ??

Rex

Founder
Should we be not called the United States of America and be called the United States of North America?

Is it ignorant for us to be the USA, because America is 2 different parts?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The designation of North and South America is only for the sake of maps. They are still connected via Panama. (Although with the compleation of the Panama canal they are no longer truely connected anymore.)

perhaps the better question would be why the distinction between Europe and the rest of the contenent ie. Asia/Middle East?

I think that the issue would only be important if say a country in South America wanted to call themselves the United States of South America.

just my 2 cents.

wa:do

ooen

perhaps the better question would be why the distinction between Europe and the rest of the continent ie. Asia/Middle East?
It is true that there is no European continent geographically. It is probably more correct to say European peninsula. However, it is a continent given the historical content. I personally think that, as long as historical content is understood correctly, current terms(such as European continent) are perfectly Ok to use.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
ya, and canada has states... cough fine provinces, but im sure there are other countries in the americas that have states. but i guess we are the only UNITED states of AMERICA.

i wouldnt consider it ignorant. i would call it stupid. obviously the founding fathers didnt look south (or west).

united provinces of North america. the united districts of north america.