• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA healthcare abomination

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's good to be reminded every so often what an utter abomination the US health care system is unless you are so wealthy that 10,000 is not even petty cash to you:

72 People Compare Healthcare In The US Vs. Other Countries, Say The US Has A Lot To Learn

1361345048193990657-1-png__700.jpg

1361321754300399617-png__700.jpg

1361421608418611200-png__700.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I broke a leg in Canuckistan back in the late 70s.
They put on a cast.
Their collection efforts for payment were pretty aggressive.
Apparently they weren't happy with my insurance provider's schedule.
BTW, they solution of a cast wasn't adequate.
I needed surgery to fix a spiral fracture.

Colt

The U.S. government has done so well at managing its own budgets there is no reason to think it cant manage healthcare.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Too much vested interest in our political system. I don't expect this to be fixed by either party anytime soon.

Too much regulation so I don't expect private business to come up with a viable solution either.

PureX

Veteran Member
They put on a cast.
You realize that was 50 YEARS AGO! Right? And you are not Canadian. And how long did your insurance company take to pay up?

I'm very puzzled why you felt the need to interject this weird 'apologetic' for U.S. health care.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Americans are often so ignorant about what happens in other countries. They believe these frankly completely false stories about long wait times poor care even when people who live then tell them to their face they are wrong. They have to make up this propagandic material about why the US Healthcare isn't a travesty compared to other developed nations.

PureX

Veteran Member
Too much vested interest in our political system. I don't expect this to be fixed by either party anytime soon.

Too much regulation so I don't expect private business to come up with a viable solution either.
Every other nation on Earth that has implemented national health care has realized that it must stop the price-gouging to keep the costs down. But in the U.S., no politician will even dare speak of the bribery and subsequent price-gouging that's driving the cost of health care to double that of other nations. Yet until we finally take that bull**** by the horns, and put a stop to it by setting price limits, we will never have any form of reasonable affordable health care in this country.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In Europe too we should have the same model of single-payer universal healthcare in all countries.
For now the British model exists in Scandinavia, Spain, Italy and Portugal only.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Americans are often so ignorant about what happens in other countries. They believe these frankly completely false stories about long wait times poor care even when people who live then tell them to their face they are wrong. They have to make up this propagandic material about why the US Healthcare isn't a travesty compared to other developed nations.

I suppose our government has been too busy trying to impeach Trump to address this issue.
Now it's Covid-19 relief. Where is the major news media in this?
Shouldn't this be what is on the front page?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose our government has been too busy trying to impeach Trump to address this issue.
Now it's Covid-19 relief. Where is the major news media in this?
Shouldn't this be what is on the front page?
It's possible to do two things. Impeach impeachable offenses and also take a more critical look at the right/center-right view at how healthcare should be managed. But when you have a propaganda machine churning out that universal Healthcare would be too expensive for America, it's no surprise disputes of that claim, or how we already waste more money on healthcare paying for insurance corps doesn't make the front page.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's possible to do two things. Impeach impeachable offenses and also take a more critical look at the right/center-right view at how healthcare should be managed. But when you have a propaganda machine churning out that universal Healthcare would be too expensive for America, it's no surprise disputes of that claim, or how we already waste more money on healthcare paying for insurance corps doesn't make the front page.

Unfortunately, people's opinions seem to be fed by the news. As long as people can be distracted by other stories the politicians aren't going to be held accountable about this.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, people's opinions seem to be fed by the news. As long as people can be distracted by other stories the politicians aren't going to be held accountable about this.
I don't ascribe by 'starving children in Africa' type excuses. Governments and people both are able to handle multiple problems at once. All too often the distraction is in pretending 'we can't handle this until we handle this.'

PureX

Veteran Member
The one thing that nearly EVERY rich person in the U.S. agrees on is their abject loathing for setting price caps. And that's what every other nation with successful health care systems have done.

And it's why every rich person, every big corporation, and their toady politicians in this country will fight tooth and nail to stop national health care being set up in the U.S. - because they know it will have to involved setting price caps and that will open up a whole new awareness and discussion about price-gouging that none of these people want debated in any way, shape, or form. (Because they are all price-gouging us for everything we need to live in a modern society, and they're driving us into poverty because of it.)

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't ascribe by 'starving children in Africa' type excuses. Governments and people both are able to handle multiple problems at once. All too often the distraction is in pretending 'we can't handle this until we handle this.'

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you or I personally ascribe to.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you or I personally ascribe to.
It does where my acceptance is concerned. 'I'm too distracted by this topic to work on this problem' isn't an acceptable excuse nor one I should pander to.

Particularly not by politicians who routinely handle bills and discussions on multiple topics of ranging importance every day. But honestly it's no good excuse for Jane and John Doe voter either.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The U.S. government has done so well at managing its own budgets there is no reason to think it cant manage healthcare.

I'd say the gov. is the lesser of evils when compared to oligarchs.

But really, a better 3rd path might be to just leave healthcare in mostly private ownership but apply common sense oversight, to strip out the massive profiteering that's currently the norm.

And, BTW, for a large bureaucracy, I've heard that medicare gets pretty good marks for decent healthcare with a reasonable budget.

But regardless of what other option we pick, leaving oligarchs to be ethical on their own has proven to be a total goat rodeo.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
They put on a cast.

Are you getting paid for your propaganda? :p