• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Allows Retail Sale Of Abortifacients

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Since here it's the State that pays for abortions, it's my business too.
So you want to weigh in on other women's
decisions about abortions, eh. Is it also
thus with everything you might pay for, eg,
dentistry, colonoscopies, vasectomies,
hearing aids, prosthetics, fixing bunions?

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So you want to weigh in on other women's
decisions about abortions, eh. Is it also
thus with everything you might pay for, eg,
dentistry, colonoscopies, vasectomies,
hearing aids, prosthetics, fixing bunions?

I fully understand American women's plight. And I defend the right to have abortion.

If a were a lawmaker, and I made hormonal pills available and for free (paid for by the State), would they take it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I fully understand American women's plight. And I defend the right to have abortion.

If a were a lawmaker, and I made hormonal pills available and for free (paid for by the State), would they take it?
You'd have to ask each individual.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You'd have to ask each individual.

The opposite is anarchy.
That is, example: ...a 13 year old girl has free access to abortion.
She asks for it, she gets it after two seconds.

And the protocol is don't ask, don't tell: that it's her father who forced her to have an abortion, because he had got her pregnant, after raping her. Or even after a consensual, incestuous sexual act.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
With 100% perfect use. Who is perfect enough to follow all directions perfectly 100% of the time?

Are Birth Control Pills Effective? | Do Birth Control Pills Work?

"If you use it perfectly, the pill is 99% effective. But people aren’t perfect and it’s easy to forget or miss pills — so in reality the pill is about 93% effective. That means about 7 out of 100 pill users get pregnant each year."

Edited for more stats:

" (*)Perfect use: more than 99% effective. Fewer than 1 in 100 women will get pregnant in a year when using the combined pill correctly.

(*)Typical use: around 91% effective. Around 9 in 100 women using the combined pill will get pregnant in a year."

How effective is contraception at preventing pregnancy?.

I like the ones that give you the week of "sugar pills," so you don't have to remember when to start again. Taking a pill becomes a habit.

Condoms are more effective combined with a cream/gel. Alone, I thought they were only about 75% effective.

Shaul

Premium Member
It's an uptight, holier than thou sort of nonsense. A cheap, easy way to judge others to feel better about one's own pathetic lack of self-esteem and pad and protect the frail and fragile ego from reality and the essence of being human (which in itself is often a bad thing to these sorts).
Interesting that you assume those that practice abstinence don't do it for their own personal benefit but because they want to judge others. Interesting but probably wrong. Most people do things out of self interest.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
And good thing we don't heed your warnings, because we'll be fine like every other country that does this and hasn't faced divine judgement.
Haven't they though? Actually European countries have more restricted abortion laws than America.
China, where abortion on demand is allowed, as well as some major human rights violations by their government, has had major crisis lately.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The opposite is anarchy.
That is, example: ...a 13 year old girl has free access to abortion.
She asks for it, she gets it after two seconds.

And the protocol is don't ask, don't tell: that it's her father who forced her to have an abortion, because he had got her pregnant, after raping her. Or even after a consensual, incestuous sexual act.
When people have rights, this can mean
that more crime happens than when
government tightly controls behavior.
It's a trade-off.
I prefer liberty.
Some prefer fascism.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Haven't they though? Actually European countries have more restricted abortion laws than America.
China, where abortion on demand is allowed, as well as some major human rights violations by their government, has had major crisis lately.
Canada hasn't had any laws restricting abortion since 1988.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Umm no they don’t.
Like 95% of European countries have legalised abortion on demand, the time limit varies by country. Many have exemptions for health and/or rape/underage reasons after said time limit. Even Poland has exemptions and they’ve banned it, last I checked.
At least on paper. The interpretation of the laws do vary so in practice they can…well vary
The US literally overturned Roe Vs Wade, did it not? So the US have a more restrictive law by default right now.
Had that not been the case, then you would have probably been right. Although the caveat would be that many European countries have a lower maternal death rate than the states even now and many have universal health care in place, meaning abortion costs nothing for the individual. Usually. So one might make the case that even with RvW, the States are still behind them :shrug:
Abortion in Europe - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Neither America or Europe have a unifying, single abortion law. American states are a mixed bag of results as are European ones, though they tend to be more permissive than many American states.
China also has a dictator with centralized and supreme power as its head of state. That's not a divine judgement, it's a long series of events in history and a situation that comes with terrible corruption and abuse. Those things go hand in hand the same way crime and drug abuse coexist with poverty.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Interesting that you assume those that practice abstinence don't do it for their own personal benefit but because they want to judge others. Interesting but probably wrong. Most people do things out of self interest.
I said nothing about those practicing, but those yammering on about an expectation for others. Like inevitably happens with discussions on abortion, where personal responsibility and abstinence will fix the whole thing.
That is what I am calling holier than thou, self righteous garbage.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
If countries with abortion prohibition
havs experienced crises, that would
seem to disprove your claim, eh.
Well I mean I think Poland isn’t exactly a utopia and they have criminalised abortion (except for the health of the mother.) :shrug:

Incidentally I kind of didn’t realise my country of Australiastan was so liberal with it’s abortion laws until I looked into European laws. Go us lol
(In Oz abortion is legal upon request for the first 20-24 weeks depending on the state. Legal afterwards if 2 doctors agree it’s medically necessary. And somewhat covered by Medicare, our public health service.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If countries with abortion prohibition
havs experienced crises, that would
seem to disprove your claim, eh.
Nah. Jehovah does have a long list of stuff we aren't supposed to do that anger him, so if they prohibit abortion they're still doing something to provoke his "righteous judgment" and fury and wrath. It is, after all, said that this god is angry and he holds us sinners in his hands and he's looking for any excuse he can find to fling us into Hell.