• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US refuses extradition in fatal crash, prompting anger in UK

GoodbyeDave

She is not the wife of a diplomat. Her husband worked at a listening station — he's in US security, and believed to be in the CIA on the basis that they live near Langley. Presumably the US issues diplomatic passports to CIA officers to that they can avoid arrest when they're caught murdering, spying, or doing drug deals.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
U.S. Refuses Extradition in Fatal Crash, Prompting Anger in U.K.

The State Department refused the extradition request saying that it "would render the invocation of diplomatic immunity a practical nullity and would set an extraordinarily troubling precedent."

The family of the teenager who was killed even met with Trump, but apparently, it didn't help.

Our ambassador to the UK is named Woody Johnson?

I admit that I have somewhat mixed views about diplomatic immunity. I think it should still be in place, at least inasmuch as countries agree to keep each other's diplomats safe from unwarranted prosecution and the like. But if a diplomat really does do something wrong - and even their own government agrees they did something wrong - shouldn't they still be prosecuted for it, even if only in a US court?

I can see the need to maintain diplomatic immunity, but I don't think that should give those who have it license to just act recklessly or do whatever they want.
That's strange. I thought we already had extradition mechanics in place by agreement.

Diplomats on official business from my understanding are separate all together with their own set of rules and arrangements.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I can see the need to maintain diplomatic immunity, but I don't think that should give those who have it license to just act recklessly or do whatever they want.
Getting "Carte Blanche" not all people can handle. So seems really not smart to me.
Maybe they don't like to reverse this, because ... you know ... it could backfire on themselves.