• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US railroad workers poised to possibly go on strike this Friday

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Everyone's going on strike lately. The teachers here just had a strike. We're probably going on strike soon with my union, too.

Shaul

Premium Member
Amtrak has canceled long distance passenger service in preparation for the potential strike.

Shaul

Premium Member
It is estimated a strike could cost the economy $2 billion a day.

The 60 day “cooling off” period the Biden Administration ordered will end Friday. It has had months to resolve this and been unable to do so.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Going on strike is one of the most effective ways for workers to use freedom, and as a bargaining tool.

This illustrates how our economic system has favored the wealthy and now workers are demanding more just to pay their bills. If inflation gets worse it will indicate that the wealthy refuse to sacrifice their profits to accomodate the increasing cost of living, and adjust wages to this increase.

Will corporations accept less in profit, and shareholders accept less dividends? Or will they pass on costs to the consumers and the cycle continues?

Shaul

Premium Member
Going on strike is one of the most effective ways for workers to use freedom, and as a bargaining tool.

This illustrates how our economic system has favored the wealthy and now workers are demanding more just to pay their bills. If inflation gets worse it will indicate that the wealthy refuse to sacrifice their profits to accomodate the increasing cost of living, and adjust wages to this increase.

Will corporations accept less in profit, and shareholders accept less dividends? Or will they pass on costs to the consumers and the cycle continues?
So you think the costs of the strike or wage increases will just be sucked by the rich owners and not passed right on to everyone else? Riiiiiiiiight.

F1fan

Veteran Member
So you think the costs of the strike or wage increases will just be sucked by the rich owners and not passed right on to everyone else? Riiiiiiiiight.
I expect the wealthy to continue being greedy and swindle hard workers from fair wages and benefits.

But I hope society as wholeis more supportive of our fellow workers, and resist the wealthy accumulating more wealth at the expense of their workers. That might mean boycotting products or protesting.

Shaul

Premium Member
I expect the wealthy to continue being greedy and swindle hard workers from fair wages and benefits.

But I hope society as wholeis more supportive of our fellow workers, and resist the wealthy accumulating more wealth at the expense of their workers. That might mean boycotting products or protesting.
The more interesting question is what will Biden and the Democrat controlled Congress do? They have the power to stop the prospective strike. If they do that will anger the unionists. If they do nothing they will seem indifferent to the inflation impacts.

Truth in love

The more interesting question is what will Biden and the Democrat controlled Congress do? They have the power to stop the prospective strike. If they do that will anger the unionists. If they do nothing they will seem indifferent to the inflation impacts.

They been very indifferent to the harm tragedy have done for many years. So my bet is they will stick to that.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Are you actually going to support BIG guvment? Conservatives will attack Biden regardless what he does. If Biden intervenes it's BIG guvment. If he does nothing he's letting inflation get worse.

Since governments are hired to manage our societies various functions they could intervene and mediate a temporary solution. To my mind that would be the most likely decision. Still, that would likely be seen unfavorably by the workers, so I'm not sure what the solution is.

How about you, got any ideas? Have any republicans made a suggestion, or are they quiet because solving problems isn't what republicans do?

John D. Brey

On August 5, following the PATCO workers' refusal to return to work, the Reagan administration fired the 11,345 striking air traffic controllers who had ignored the order, and banned them from federal service for life.

Wikipedia.​

Leadership works. Woke wonks don't.

John

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder....
If it's wrong for companies to have a monopoly
on an industry, why is it OK for railroad unions
to have a monopoly on all railroad labor?
It appears to be an anti-trust issue.

Shaul

Premium Member
Are you actually going to support BIG guvment? Conservatives will attack Biden regardless what he does. If Biden intervenes it's BIG guvment. If he does nothing he's letting inflation get worse.

Since governments are hired to manage our societies various functions they could intervene and mediate a temporary solution. To my mind that would be the most likely decision. Still, that would likely be seen unfavorably by the workers, so I'm not sure what the solution is.

How about you, got any ideas? Have any republicans made a suggestion, or are they quiet because solving problems isn't what republicans do?
I don’t recall stating a preference for which choice the Administration faces. Whether I agreed would depend on the particulars.

Shaul

Premium Member
Another wrinkle is how a strike would impact oil and more precisely gasoline prices. Because this Administration stopped the Keystone pipeline, more oil is transported by rail. If the railroads shut down gas prices could shoot back up. Just in time for the midterms.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Democrats in the Senate wanted "unanimous consent" to deal with it. Bernie Sanders shot that down.

Personally it's a sign of a sick institution where one person out of 100 can throw up serious roadblocks and that applies to left and right.

RestlessSoul

Everyone's going on strike lately. The teachers here just had a strike. We're probably going on strike soon with my union, too.

In the U.K. , railway workers, postal workers, dockers at Felixstowe container port, criminal lawyers, council rubbish collectors and bus drivers have all been on strike recently.

Working people were forced to pay for the 2008 banking crash through 14 years of stagnant wages, and now we’re expected to pay for Covid, Brexit and a war in Ukraine, while the government cuts tax for the rich, and removes the cap on bankers bonuses.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Another wrinkle is how a strike would impact oil and more precisely gasoline prices. Because this Administration stopped the Keystone pipeline, more oil is transported by rail. If the railroads shut down gas prices could shoot back up. Just in time for the midterms.

More nonsense. The effect of the Keystone Pipeline on US gas prices is "minimal" according to an expert in the field At least 2/3 of it are exported. It is heavy crude that requires extra processing and is not highly desirable in the US.

PolitiFact - Will all the oil from the Keystone XL pipeline be exported?

The U.S. State Department did not respond to most of Gillibrand’s claim but did comment on how the pipeline could affect gas prices.

"As the final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement makes clear, gas prices throughout the United States are primarily driven by global market factors," a spokesperson said. "The amount of Western Canada Sedimentary Basin (WCSB) crude that makes its way to the Gulf region does not change this dynamic. Any impact on prices for refined petroleum products resulting from the approval and construction of the Keystone XL pipeline would be minimal."

Some would stay in the US, but it is only one minor supplier. And it would still be imported oil. We would be importing from Canada instead of other countries. Do you think that they are gong to give us a special break? You are just using a shell game where you are changing suppliers.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Biden says a tentative railway labor deal has been reached, averting strike : NPR

A strike that could have halted both freight and passenger trains across the country seems to have been averted.

After a marathon negotiating session lasting 20 hours, the White House announced early Thursday that a tentative agreement had been reached between rail companies and the unions representing conductors and engineers.

"These rail workers will get better pay, improved working conditions, and peace of mind around their health care costs: all hard-earned," said President Biden in a statement, calling the deal a win for rail workers who worked tirelessly through the pandemic to deliver goods to American families.