• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'US must immediately stop all official interactions with Taiwan': China fumes over US lawmaker's vis

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
'US must immediately stop all official interactions with Taiwan': China fumes over US lawmaker's visit to Taipei (msn.com)

Beijing: China on Friday reacted strongly to US lawmaker Marsha Blackburn's visit to Taiwan and asked the American government to immediately stop all forms of official interactions with Taipei. It should be noted that the Republican Senator is on a visit to Taiwan from August 25 to 27.

This is the fourth visit by a US politician to Taiwan this month.

In response to a media query, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said that the Marsha Blackburn's visit to Taiwan region "seriously violates the one-China principle and the provisions of the three China-US joint communiques", and goes against the US commitment of maintaining only non-official ties with the Taiwan region.

"There is only one China in the world and Taiwan is an inalienable part of China's territory. The government of the People's Republic of China is the sole legal government representing the whole of China," the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson went on to add, "We will not waver in opposing 'Taiwan independence' separatist activities and external interference. We urge the relevant U.S. politician to abide by the one-China principle and the three China-U.S. joint communiques, immediately stop all forms of official interactions with Taiwan, and immediately stop sending wrong signals to 'Taiwan independence' separatist forces."

Meanwhile, Marsha Blackburn yesterday said that China has been just waiting for an "excuse to bully Taiwan".

She arrived in Taipei late Thursday after visiting Fiji, the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea as part of a US push to "expand our diplomatic footprint in the area," her office said in a statement.

During her three-day visit, Blackburn is also due to meet with the head of Taiwan's National Security Council.

Is the U.S. on a path towards re-recognition of Taiwan? Is our government trying to cut ties with China? Or are these visits by US politicians just showboating for the purposes of US domestic politics?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
China's government listened to nobody when it kept supporting the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I'm not sure why they now expect others to take these hypocritical orders from them.

Still, I think the US government may well be showboating. The US is among the last countries that can claim to support democracy or care about it considering its track record of overturning or working against it in South America, the Middle East, and Asia--up to and including in the 21st century.

Audie

Veteran Member
'US must immediately stop all official interactions with Taiwan': China fumes over US lawmaker's visit to Taipei (msn.com)

Is the U.S. on a path towards re-recognition of Taiwan? Is our government trying to cut ties with China? Or are these visits by US politicians just showboating for the purposes of US domestic politics?

We know narcissists who feel it's their
place to tell others what is acceptible for
them to do or say.
You are suggesting the fault is with those
who don't recognize that authority?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
them to do or say.

I'm suggesting that US politicians might be doing this more for the sake of domestic perceptions and possibly to boost their popularity among their constituents. They may be clumsily tone deaf as to the geopolitical ramifications, and this may also be a consequence of the current political divides existing in the US these days.

I'm not necessarily faulting China here. I don't think we (the U.S.) should be interfering in this situation at all. Of course, there's a history behind all of this, and WW2 and the Cold War kind of stuck us in this geopolitical quagmire from which our politicians and other national leaders have been unable or unwilling to extricate us. As for what's going on now, I really don't know just what in the heck they're trying to do.

As for China and Taiwan, I sometimes wonder why the Chinese government can't just let it go. It's been more than 70 years, since the government of Chiang Kai-Shek fled to Taiwan. That the U.S. government chose to protect him and pledge to defend that government was an unfortunate choice, but easy to understand considering the staunch anti-communist stance the US was taking during the early days of the Cold War.

But that was a long time ago. A lot has happened since then, and yet, this anomalous situation still remains as a legacy of the Cold War. There has to be some sort of resolution and some way to move on and get past this.

Right now, if Taiwan wanted to rejoin China voluntarily, I don't see that there's anything the U.S. could legally do to stop it.

If the U.S. withdraws from and revokes its pledge to defend Taiwan, and instead pledges that it will not interfere in anything between China and Taiwan, that might be seen by many as a betrayal. Even if the original reasons for this whole situation seem irrelevant now.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm suggesting that US politicians might be doing this more for the sake of domestic perceptions and possibly to boost their popularity among their constituents. They may be clumsily tone deaf as to the geopolitical ramifications, and this may also be a consequence of the current political divides existing in the US these days.

I'm not necessarily faulting China here. I don't think we (the U.S.) should be interfering in this situation at all. Of course, there's a history behind all of this, and WW2 and the Cold War kind of stuck us in this geopolitical quagmire from which our politicians and other national leaders have been unable or unwilling to extricate us. As for what's going on now, I really don't know just what in the heck they're trying to do.

As for China and Taiwan, I sometimes wonder why the Chinese government can't just let it go. It's been more than 70 years, since the government of Chiang Kai-Shek fled to Taiwan. That the U.S. government chose to protect him and pledge to defend that government was an unfortunate choice, but easy to understand considering the staunch anti-communist stance the US was taking during the early days of the Cold War.

But that was a long time ago. A lot has happened since then, and yet, this anomalous situation still remains as a legacy of the Cold War. There has to be some sort of resolution and some way to move on and get past this.

Right now, if Taiwan wanted to rejoin China voluntarily, I don't see that there's anything the U.S. could legally do to stop it.

If the U.S. withdraws from and revokes its pledge to defend Taiwan, and instead pledges that it will not interfere in anything between China and Taiwan, that might be seen by many as a betrayal. Even if the original reasons for this whole situation seem irrelevant now.
Have you seen a map, the size of Russia 500
years ago? They entire course of their history since then has been imperialist expansion.
They are like a black hooe, anything near must be swallowed.
That was their plan un Afghanistan.

Who wishes to give up what they once claimed?

China and Russia are big enough to satisfy any but imperialist powers.

Whether US politicians posture or not, what I said above is so, including about who gets to
announce what it is acceptible to say.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Are US politicians showboating? Of course. Is there also a principle that people should be free? Of course. Is China complaining that we're not bending our knees and kowtowing to them? Of course.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
By engaging in the war games in response to the 'provocation' of American politicians visiting the island, the PRC has shown the US and allies its plans and capabilities in regard to a possible attack on Taiwan...all while consuming a not insignificant part of their stock of missiles, bombs, fuel, etc. Our intelligence services should be making hay with all the data they're getting.

As for brinksmanship in general, I don't like it. But just as China ignores our protests and desires, we should ignore them back and keep doing what we do.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
years ago? They entire course of their history since then has been imperialist expansion.

Whether US politicians posture or not, what I said above is so, including about who gets to
I'm pretty sure that Xi looks at Russia and thinks that it would make a nice subject nation to supply the Middle Kingdom with natural gas and other resources that will be comparatively inexpensive once rasPutin is out of the way...If Putin wants to reestablish the Soviet Empire of a century ago, Xi can look back to the Mongol Empire a little farther back in time...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

When it comes to militaristic expansion, they did have excellent teachers, if you look back a bit further than 500 years. They certainly could never have conquered the Mongol Empire, but as the Mongol Empire collapsed all by itself, the Russians moved in to grab whatever they could - just as other empires were doing. Maybe they were bad people for doing so, but it was a long time ago.

It can happen. It's happened before, when multiple nations renounced and withdrew their claims on many colonial territories. There are some people in America who might be happy to give up California, Texas, or New York - depending on what their political inclinations might be.

The posturing of U.S. politicians seems to be done primarily for domestic consumption, even if it sometimes seems a bit reckless when brought to the international stage.

Regarding who gets to announce what is acceptable to say, I don't think anyone has any formal claim or monopoly on that. I'm well aware that US public opinion is distinct and separate from that of other countries, although geopolitics, just like domestic politics, has its share of corruption, duplicity, hypocrisy, greed - along just plain incompetence. But the court of world opinion is a more diverse audience.

Just the same, US politicians are elected by US voters, and they seem to be attempting to appeal to a certain xenophobic element within the electorate, which seems to have become more intensified and exacerbate in recent years. I was listening to the Republican candidate for US Senate in my state, and he didn't really have a lot of nice things to say about China. He all but painted his opponent as some kind of Chinese agent who was in the direct employ of the CCP. They say the same things about Biden. Things are kind of getting out of hand over here, as you might have gathered.

What can I say? We're a country full of sanctimonious, self-righteous, judgmental loudmouths, from the bottom on up. Right or left, conservative or liberal, the underlying belief is that, as Americans, it is our sacred duty to right all the wrongs of the world. Some believe we have been blessed by God and charged with a sacred quest, to make the world safe for democracy. (We'd have an easier time finding the Holy Grail.)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
them to do or say.
China can say what they want
US can do (visit Taiwan) what they want
If China has a problem with that, not US problem. China does not own Taiwan obviously

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Basically PRC is looking for diplomatic things to complain about. We have things to complain about, too. At the table a complaint is an advantage. The angrier you seem about your complaint the larger the advantage. We're angry that China won't just get off our backs about Taiwan, see? It sells a lot of things and makes a lot of products that we use. Its important to us. Makes no sense to hound us over it. Why don't they fix their own country instead of trying to mess up Taiwan?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.