• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Congressman supports Israel right to stop illegal Palestinian construction

Shaul

Premium Member
I have an opposite opinion of Israel than the OP because I stand in solidarity with the Palestinians, and the links explain why. While I don't consider myself a political or social justice activist, I still stand in solidarity with Native Americans as well. I've only taken part in one public demonstration against the Dakota Access Pipeline, which was organized by the American Indian Movement, and that was in 2016. I was invited by a close friend, and it was an amazing experience. I took four of my children to share the experience with me.

From Palestine to Standing Rock: Your Story is Our Story

Palestinians back Standing Rock Oceti Sakowin in “struggle for all humanity”

Palestinians And Standing Rock Native Americans Share A Struggle For Justice

iu

Parallels+-+2+bigger.jpg

I'll always remember this meme because it touched my heart. It was shared with me on FB shortly after I attended the public protest.
Your narrative is based on half truths and myths. The Jews are Palestinians. The situation in the land of Judea and Samaria is complex and is certainly not comparable to what happened in the expansion of the United States. You should study more before commenting on things you obviously don't understand.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Your narrative is based on half truths and myths. The Jews are Palestinians. The situation in the land of Judea and Samaria is complex and is certainly not comparable to what happened in the expansion of the United States. You should study more before commenting on things you obviously don't understand.
Some Jews are Palestinians. Many of them are as recently arrived as the Arab immigrants you complained about a few posts back.

Shaul

Premium Member
Some Jews are Palestinians. Many of them are as recently arrived as the Arab immigrants you complained about a few posts back.
Ok, I'll accept that correction. It is nice of you concede that many of the Arabs claiming to be Palestinians are only recent immigrants.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Your narrative is based on half truths and myths.
You should study more before commenting on things you obviously don't understand.

I could say something similar to you, but that would be rude and disrespectful, and I prefer to treat others as I'd like to be treated.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ok, I'll accept that correction. It is nice of you concede that many of the Arabs claiming to be Palestinians are only recent immigrants.
Yes: someone whose parents or grandparents were made refugees by the IDF in the 60s and is now returning to the place where their relatives and family history is is technically an immigrant.

Shaul

Premium Member
Yes: someone whose parents or grandparents were made refugees by the IDF in the 60s and is now returning to the place where their relatives and family history is is technically an immigrant.
Prior to the UN partition of Palestine there were huge waves of Arab immigration into the land. That is a fact. Most of the Arabs that claim to be Palestinian refugees are not.
The Palestinian refugee hoax

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Prior to the UN partition of Palestine there were huge waves of Arab immigration into the land. That is a fact.
So the immigrants you're complaining about are all 75-plus years old?

Most of the Arabs that claim to be Palestinian refugees are not.
Right.

From a quick scan of that article, it seems that this author is proposing revoking citizenship rights if their descendants weren't in Palestine before 1947. A coupke thoughts:

- it's bonkers to suggest denying citizenship in the place where someone was born. It's their literal birthright.

- I'm surprised to see you presenting something that, if applied consistently, would deny Israel's "right of return" policy for Jews immigrating from elsewhere.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The articles also quote several Bible verses in an attempt to justify their claim that Israel belongs to the Jews, but as far as I'm concerned, the Bible is not a reliable source to morally justify anything. In all honesty, it makes me think of the history of WASP Christians who used the Bible to validate "Manifest Destiny," which was their justification for stealing tribal lands from the tribes.
Not all Christians support Zionism. I see it as heresy, personally. Christian Zionism is mostly found among US Evangelicals and is a modern ideology. I don't think God has anything to do with the state of Israel and we're building up wrath against us by pretending that it is does and supporting their evil government (our government is evil, too). I think Israel is going to be destroyed soon with how things are going, honestly. I'd advise Jews and everyone else to stay away for their own safety.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Etymologically Palestine comes from Peleset, the name for Philistines, Indo-European people of the sea living in Gaza Strip. They used to speak a similar language to other Indo-Europeans of the XII century BC.
I know because it's a name that ancient Romans invented.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Not all Christians support Zionism. I see it as heresy, personally. Christian Zionism is mostly found among US Evangelicals and is a modern ideology. I don't think God has anything to do with the state of Israel and we're building up wrath against us by pretending that it is does and supporting their evil government (our government is evil, too). I think Israel is going to be destroyed soon with how things are going, honestly. I'd advise Jews and everyone else to stay away for their own safety.

Well said, Saint Frankenstein, and thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

Ponder This

US Congressman Dr. Andy Harris(R-Maryland) says Israel has a right to stop illegal Palestinian construction within areas of its control. He also criticized European Union support of illegal Palestinian construction and Palestinian officials for embezzlement of US provided humanitarian support to fund terrorism.

US Congressman: 'Israel has the right to stop illegal Palestinian construction'

It is more accurate to describe the regulation of construction as a power of state (not a right of state). In this case, we would say Israel has authority to rule over the territory in question and therefore the power to regulate stop construction by its citizens.

The article appears to claim that Palestinians and Arabs are trying to take over Judea and Samaria by building homes that choke out Jewish communities and main roads. Did I read that correctly?

If Israel disallows non-Jewish construction while allowing Jewish construction, that would be discrimination on the basis of being Jewish or not.

How does Israel explain this:
Israel issues 10 stop work orders to Palestinian families in West Bank
and this:
European countries urge Israel to stop construction in East Jerusalem
?

JIMMY12345

US Congressman Dr. Andy Harris(R-Maryland) says Israel has a right to stop illegal Palestinian construction within areas of its control. He also criticized European Union support of illegal Palestinian construction and Palestinian officials for embezzlement of US provided humanitarian support to fund terrorism.

US Congressman: 'Israel has the right to stop illegal Palestinian construction'
Tim Marshall points out underground tunnels are used to import everything including a lovely Mercedes.However the tunnels are flooded and Israel has dug deep walls to block the tunnels.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Prior to the UN partition of Palestine there were huge waves of Arab immigration into the land. That is a fact. Most of the Arabs that claim to be Palestinian refugees are not.
That is a smokescreen as it doesn't deal with the central issue of new settlements in what's been Palestinian territory. I have a friend who lives in one of those settlement, so we really can't even talk about it.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
The majority of the Jews living in the State of Israel come from Africa and Asia, not Europe.
Well you are wrong on multiple accounts. First of all, Jews are Palestinians too. Second, many of the Arabs claiming to be Palestinians are not and are actually immigrants to the land.
Anyone else noticing the massive cognitive dissonance in these posts?

"Actually, the majority of Jews currently living in Israel are from Africa and Asia..."
"... also, Jews are Palestinian and have a right to be there..."
"... also, the Arabs claiming to be Palestinian don't count because they only recently migrated there..."

Years of justifying illegal occupation and systemic oppression must do a number on you, I guess.

FredVB

Palestinians should be able to have construction in their land of Palestine. Israel should be able to have control of its own land.

Years of justifying illegal occupation and systemic oppression must do a number on you, I guess.

Palestine or Israel are not illegally occupying land. Israel took control of land when neighboring countries came making an attack on them to annihilate Israel, as any other countries might do.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Palestine or Israel are not illegally occupying land. Israel took control of land when neighboring countries came making an attack on them to annihilate Israel, as any other countries might do.
Because, when attacked by other countries, what you do is invade and annex their territory and keep it forever, and then slowly continue doing that over decades. Because that's totally what happens in that scenario "just like any other country".

Sorry, you're fooling nobody.

Also, I find it fascinating that you apply this logic to Israel, but you would not apply the same logic to Palestine. After-all, Palestine actually IS defending itself from a neighbour that is encroaching on and annexing it's territory and threatening them with genocide. If you think it's justified for a country to occupy territory on the basis of them being attacked from outside, then you should side with Palestine when they fought back against the Israeli invasion, and you would be justifying Palestine invading and annexing Israeli territory in response to their invasion.

Last edited: