• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Army Deserter Living The High Life In Duetschland

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
Germany loves their refugees. IMO good riddance. Let the Germans have him. He should just be very careful where he goes. If he goes anywhere near the US MPs, military instalations or travels abroad the "good life" may be over. And it is not necessarily as if he can just "blend in" to society either. IMO whether now or later he will pay the price for his decision to abandon the nation he swore to uphold and protect, regardless of political leanings.

U.S. Deserter 'Having Time of My Life' as He Seeks Asylum in Germany - WSJ.com

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Huh? Why are you taking this so seriously and why would anyone else? (Besides the military because they're tight *****).

Why should he have to fight a war he doesn't think is right? I would encourage this type of behavior.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
Huh? Why are you taking this so seriously and why would anyone else? (Besides the military because they're tight *****).

Why should he have to fight a war he doesn't think is right? I would encourage this type of behavior.
The Germans should have him. Otherwise if caught by US or extradited he should face a courtmarshal and receive a dishonorable discharge!
When a person signs up for the military they don't sign up to opt out of wars that they think are immoral. They sign up to fight for their nation and defend it regardless of their personal feelings on the matter or war in question. Desertion of your comrades in harms way is one of the most deplorable acts a soldier can commit. So I say let the Germans have him.

If the United States cannot get him extradited, then they should revoke his citizenship. He made the choice to join the military and he chose to desert. He will face the consequenses.

We live in a society where many people think there should not be severe consequences for their action. This man could be put to death. That is the worst that can happen to him under the UMCJ. He probably will not face the death penalty, but it is a slap in the face of every man and woman who is sacraficing or has died to have this type of ilk running around like a playboy.

He can stay in Germany, the land of having a history of tolerance and justice!:beach::run:

Last edited:

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
So... once you sign up to the army, it's basically

"die over there on the battle field or die for not going"

wow.. that's sure motivating!

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
The Germans should have him. Otherwise if caught by US or extradited he should face a courtmarshal and receive a dishonorable discharge!
When a person signs up for the military they don't sign up to opt out of wars that they think are immoral. They sign up to fight for their nation and defend it regardless of their personal feelings on the matter or war in question. Desertion of your comrades in harms way is one of the most deplorable acts a soldier can commit. So I say let the Germans have him.

So someone shouldn't go by their conscience? I think that's really stupid. I believe way too much in personal freedom for him to have to suffer ANY consequence for his actions. There are plenty of men and women who will go ahead and fight even if they don't want to. Good for them! Great! But no one should do something that contradicts their own morals. How twisted is that?

If the United States cannot get him extradited, then they should revoke his citizenship. He made the choice to join the military and he chose to desert. He will face the consequenses.

:biglaugh: You're loony!

We live in a society where many people think there should not be severe consequences for their action. This man could be put to death. That is the worst that can happen to him under the UMCJ. He probably will not face the death penalty, but it is a slap in the face of every man and woman who is sacraficing or has died to have this type of ilk running around like a playboy.

He can stay in Germany, the land of having a history of tolerance and justice!:beach::run:

:areyoucra:thud: Yea I guess we do! Thank Jeebus! A sign most of us are still SANE! This is completely ridiculous...put to DEATH? Huh..wha..? This whole "deserting your country" thing:rolleyes: is a little over-the-top. He joined, he didn't wanna fight, he left. OOOOH.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
That is about it my friend.:yes:

Nothing like a death threat, whether you do your job or not at all, to motivate you to get into action...

Hell... if I was well.. first off stupid enough to join the army... and secondly - opposed to the war I was being told to go to, I would prefer to die on my home soil, actively opposing it, than to die there, fighting for beliefs that I don't agree with.

the army is there to fight goals worth fighting for not just as troops depoyable whenever they feel like it, the army is there to protect the nation, but sometimes its needs protecting from itself

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
So someone shouldn't go by their conscience? I think that's really stupid. I believe way too much in personal freedom for him to have to suffer ANY consequence for his actions. There are plenty of men and women who will go ahead and fight even if they don't want to. Good for them! Great! But no one should do something that contradicts their own morals. How twisted is that?

:biglaugh: You're loony!

:areyoucra:thud: Yea I guess we do! Thank Jeebus! A sign most of us are still SANE! This is completely ridiculous...put to DEATH? Huh..wha..? This whole "deserting your country" thing:rolleyes: is a little over-the-top. He joined, he didn't wanna fight, he left. OOOOH.
The only reason that I seem looney is that liberalism is a mental disorder:D:clap

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Did he enter Germany illegally?
Nope, but the same principle applies.
He has illegally broken a contract with the US Government.

People in this thread are applauding his illegal actions.
Since he VOLUNTEERED to join the Army, he has no credible legal reason for his abandonment.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
There does seem to be an increasing acceptance of someone going back on their word or breaking a commitment, divorce comes to mind. I think if someone in the military is against the war and refuses to serve, they should at least be willing to face the consequences while standing up for their principles. I think he should have stood up to his commanders and then served his time in prison as a protest to the war. I compare it to a married person who suddenly gets cold feet and disappears into another country instead of staying and getting a divorce and living with the consequences of it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Nope, but the same principle applies.
He has illegally broken a contract with the US Government.

People in this thread are applauding his illegal actions.
Since he VOLUNTEERED to join the Army, he has no credible legal reason for his abandonment.
Well, I can't help but think of my cousin. He volunteered to go to Afghanistan right after 9/11, an honorable act in support of a just cause. Instead, his honor was prostituted and he was sent to Iraq, in support of a wholly unethical and unjust act of aggression. He (and the rest of the family) was furious at the way he was used, and totally morally opposed to the war he was in. He didn't desert, but I wouldn't have blamed him if he had.

Now, I've skimmed the article, and that doesn't seem to be the case with this guy. I'm not sure what to think of him.