• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Sprawl From Hades!

Audie

Veteran Member
Colonizing other planets would never be a solution.
Without some limit on population growth....
1) The travel cost would limit colonist numbers to a teensy tiny fraction of Earth's population.
2) The remaining population on Earth would still reproduce like rabbits.
3) The colonized planets would become over-populated.

Who says it is a "solution"? More like destiny.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For a certain period, yes. But afterwards, starvation and a lack of resources will ensue.
We already have mass starvations.
And resources are being noticeably depleted (particularly in the oceans).
Things just aren't bad enuf to face the anathema of population controls.
(We still have many who believe it's our duty to go forth & multiply without limit.)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
at some point, you will become so dense that you will collapse into a black hole and begin sucking all the light out of RF...oh wait...:D

Duke_Leto

Your city taxes vehicles?
I've never run across that before.
How do they levy it?

Wait...I have seen it!
In my town, the city council openly discusses great effort to increase traffic fine revenue.
They even (in violation of state law) post unrealistically low speed limits on some roads.
Our fair city is well known by contractors, who find doing business here very costly cuz
of the difficulty of getting permits to park on lawns when working on a property, & by truck
drivers who are aggressively cited for equipment violations (running many hundreds of dollars).

Oh yeah. $50 a year for a normal passenger car for residents; more for trucks and whatnot (You can probably guess where I live with a few seconds' worth of web searching). I wouldn't object to it so much if I saw any use come of it -- in theory, the tax is administered to fix the roads when they inevitably develop potholes and cracks, but the city has the worst damn roads in the state, even though it's the only one which levies this tax. Seriously, I've been to small towns with roads which have constant traffic throughout the day from vehicles exiting the interstate, and those roads are flawless. Hell, there's a town with brick roads and it's doing fine. But my city has potholes year-round throughout the entire year, and they never seem to get fixed. We don't have so much more traffic compared to, say, the state's capital that conditions have to be comparatively so bad.

As for your city, I'm well-acquainted with that type. Though you say it's a city, not a small town? Typically, the worst offenders I've seen have been small towns because traffic violations make up most of the revenue. Proper cities acting that way seems somehow worse.

Duke_Leto

You dont know what you are talking about.

You're the only one so far who's shown that they don't. Singapore is only a nominal democracy. The state exerts strong control over the country and its citizens. I'll grant that it has become less of a dictatorship since the accession of Lee Hsien Loong, but it's still a fairly accurate descriptor.

And if you knew anything at all about Indonesia, you'd realize how ridiculous it is to say its problems are due to "lack of political will".

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Quibbilize all you like, but, filthy cities like Jakarta, or Paris
or San Fran are as they are, and, Tokyo is not like that.
Not not not.

What is your point?
The point is there are always people that do not care about cleanliness, or their own negligence towards the environment, they exist in every metropolis no matter how clean the city might be.

The trash they produce will always be someone else's problem because they simply don't give a ****.

I have met a few in my time. They had a good upbringing, some even brought up in wealth, everyone else in the family is clean and 'tidy' to a degree, and then there is that one person who literally never cleans the area around his personal self, where there are dishes in the sink from who knows how many months ago, black mold in the carpet or tile, a toilet bowl black with residue of 1000's oh dumps taken and never cleaned.

Most people are generally clean, even messy folks can be clean, their rooms are in chaos like mine is most of the time but it is not filthy and rancid like a sewer that is built and never maintained a single time. I would say even the lazy ones that don't clean daily reach a threshold that triggers them into cleaning mode. "This is too much I need to do a full scale cleaning operation and then let it slip back slowly to this state."

I think there is something mentally wrong with these folks that allow their personal space to devolve into such a state.

And the point is, they are everywhere Tokyo probably has at minimum 1000-5000 of these particular kinds of people wallowing in filth they care not to actively get rid of.