• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urantia Book Questions

LuisMarco

The Urantia Papers or The Urantia Book.

Urantia is the name of our world Earth, according to its celestial revelators; its meaning is here:

There's advanced URANTIA science validated and confirmed by our science after URANTIA's publication in October, 1955, in English, in Chicago, U.S.

Where? Here: http://UBtheNEWS.com (Urantia News: Verifying History and Science in The Urantia Book):

URANTIA is, according to its own authors (celestial invisible beings, commissioned to be revelators of its content), a divine/spiritual/celestial revelation of truth to/for us humans of this world. It's in the public domain since some years ago (2001), and it's online for free entire reading on several different independent websites.

It has 197 Papers including its 'Foreword' by the selfsame celestials, almost 2100 pages, and it is not a spiritual channeling, therefore it doesn't come from the Devil or other evil even iniquitous celestial personalities.

The best book on its origins and history is the most documented of them all (http://world-destiny.org (it's free online also: The Birth of a Divine Revelation---The Origin of The Urantia Papers)), although it doesn't cover all the items of its history. One can find them online, mainly on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestse...

Its official website:

Custodian and Publisher of The Urantia Book since 1955

This is part of what the authors of URANTIA affirm about itself on its pages 1007-1008, from paragraph 4 on (emphases in the original):

[Paper 92:4.4, page 1007.4] There have been many events of religious revelation but only five of epochal significance. These were as follows:

92:4.5 (1007.5) 1. The Dalamatian teachings. The true concept of the First Source and Center was first promulgated on Urantia by the one hundred corporeal members of Prince Caligastia’s staff. This expanding revelation of Deity went on for more than three hundred thousand years until it was suddenly terminated by the planetary secession and the disruption of the teaching regime. Except for the work of Van, the influence of the Dalamatian revelation was practically lost to the whole world. Even the Nodites had forgotten this truth by the time of Adam’s arrival. Of all who received the teachings of the one hundred, the red men held them longest, but the idea of the Great Spirit was but a hazy concept in Amerindian religion when contact with Christianity greatly clarified and strengthened it.

92:4.6 (1007.6) 2. The Edenic teachings. Adam and Eve again portrayed the concept of the Father of all to the evolutionary peoples. The disruption of the first Eden halted the course of the Adamic revelation before it had ever fully started. But the aborted teachings of Adam were carried on by the Sethite priests, and some of these truths have never been entirely lost to the world. The entire trend of Levantine religious evolution was modified by the teachings of the Sethites. But by 2500 B.C. mankind had largely lost sight of the revelation sponsored in the days of Eden.

92:4.7 (1007.7) 3. Melchizedek of Salem. This emergency Son of Nebadon inaugurated the third revelation of truth on Urantia. The cardinal precepts of his teachings were trust and faith. He taught trust in the omnipotent beneficence of God and proclaimed that faith was the act by which men earned God’s favor. His teachings gradually commingled with the beliefs and practices of various evolutionary religions and finally developed into those theologic systems present on Urantia at the opening of the first millennium after Christ.

92:4.8 (1008.1) 4. Jesus of Nazareth. Christ Michael presented for the fourth time to Urantia the concept of God as the Universal Father, and this teaching has generally persisted ever since. The essence of his teaching was love and service, the loving worship which a creature son voluntarily gives in recognition of, and response to, the loving ministry of God his Father; the freewill service which such creature sons bestow upon their brethren in the joyous realization that in this service they are likewise serving God the Father.

92:4.9 (1008.2) 5. The Urantia Papers. The papers, of which this is one, constitute the most recent presentation of truth to the mortals of Urantia. These papers differ from all previous revelations, for they are not the work of a single universe personality but a composite presentation by many beings. But no revelation short of the attainment of the Universal Father can ever be complete. All other celestial ministrations are no more than partial, transient, and practically adapted to local conditions in time and space. While such admissions as this may possibly detract from the immediate force and authority of all revelations, the time has arrived on Urantia when it is advisable to make such frank statements, even at the risk of weakening the future influence and authority of this, the most recent of the revelations of truth to the mortal races of Urantia.

And: don’t trust the Wikipedia always, in this case in its URANTIA entry:
(…)

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
It is such a darn interesting book, I've had a fascination with it for years (thanks to Stockhausen).

I don't believe it but I like it a lot and find various beautiful ideas in it :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think you're asking me what the UB is about? To make a very long story short, there are many universal levels and many varieties of angels who do work for the universe.

The universe is basically a school system designed to give God's children, humans and other sentient beings, experiential experience followed by formal schooling on how God and the universe really work.

God only does the things that only God can do. He creates the universe and provides personality to all beings.

What specifically made you accept it.
Was there something about it which validated your own experience? Or, did it seem to offer a better explanation about the cosmos than Christianity did?

Milton Platt

How do I account for an article that is criticism of the source of the UB? People believe what they want to believe. They also don't like it when others believe something different, they see it as a criticism. If you were really secure in your own beliefs then you wouldn't care what others believe but none of us are perfectly secure. We all have the feeling that we need to defend them because, in a way, we are defending ourselves.

I do not see someone believing something different from what I believe as criticism. I welcome them to provide sufficient supporting evidence to change my mind. Can the Urantia people do that, and if so, why haven't they?

So, am I surprised that others don't like what the UB says? Not at all. People killed Jesus. We shouldn't be surprised at anything anyone does.

True, generally. But not a supporting argument for the validity of the Urantia stuff.

Now, to address the criticism in the article, the UB was channeled, given to a human, not by aliens, by angels. The name Urantia is what the angels call the earth. The Urantia Book is the angels bible.

You must be able to support these assertions, or they can be rightly rejected. Demonstrate that angels exist first. Then demonstrate that they can "channel" something. Then demonstrate that they channeled your particular book. The world awaits......

If you don't want to believe that angels give humans revelation then you should not believe in any religious text. How exactly did you think it was done? The Book of Revelations was a dream that John had while he was in jail.

You are correct. That is why I DO NOT believe in any religious text. The evidence is lacking, both for Urantia and other such texts.

The claim that the book is managed by the Urantia Foundation. Well, it's free online. I wouldn't call that "managed" but okay, whatever.

I fail to see what this matters, either way.

As for the racist take on the UB, when information is channeled it has to go through a human. Humans are faulty beings, they are emotional, they want what they want, and at times they put their own prejudice into the message. I know this causes doubt to the validity of the message but here's the thing, it happens in everything we do. Even scientists weave their desires into their theories.

Scientists who weave their desires into their theories are proven wrong by other scientists. That is what peer review is for. But even if every scientific theory was horribly wrong, it would do nothing to demonstrate that the Urantia stuff had any basis in truth. The book stands or falls on it's own merit. Where is your evidence?

The Urantia Foundation is a cult? A cult is a group with deviant ideas. When the Jews became Jews they were deviating from the neighboring cultures. When Jesus gave us new ideas the early Christians were a cult. New information is always received with skepticism because it doesn't fit with people's preconceived ideas about how God and the universe should work.

Irrelevant by any means. It actually does not matte whether another group calls Urantia a cult or not. The question is whether there is evidence to support it's claims. Is there?

The Urantia Book followers have blinding faith and empty hopes and nothing more? As if other religious people are not blindly faithful?

So other groups are also blindly following a dogma as well. How does that make your position any more tenable?

The scientific concepts are outdated and based upon the ideas of the time? Well, if the solar system formed from a condensing cloud of gas then how come the sun rotates perpendicular to the ecliptic plane? It would rotate the same direction as the ecliptic plane if it all came from a condensing nebula.

It does rotate in the same direction as the ecliptic plane and it is only about 7 degrees off. It is not rotating perpendicularly to the plane, it's axis is roughly perpendicular to the plane. You might want to get your astronomy from an actual text book.

The article ends with the author trying to tell you that he is not concerned with the birth of life, extraterrestrials, and that he lives in the NOW and make the best of it. Good for him. That's not enough for me. I want answers. I want to know how things really work.

Furchizedek

Near as I know there is no religion associated with the UB. Hopefully there never will be but when new information about God and the universe is given to humanity people like to form groups and those groups tend to evolve into religions that separate people.

It's just information that you can use to decide for yourself what you want to believe.
How do I account for an article that is criticism of the source of the UB? People believe what they want to believe. They also don't like it when others believe something different, they see it as a criticism. If you were really secure in your own beliefs then you wouldn't care what others believe but none of us are perfectly secure. We all have the feeling that we need to defend them because, in a way, we are defending ourselves.

So, am I surprised that others don't like what the UB says? Not at all. People killed Jesus. We shouldn't be surprised at anything anyone does.

Now, to address the criticism in the article, the UB was channeled, given to a human, not by aliens, by angels. The name Urantia is what the angels call the earth. The Urantia Book is the angels bible.

If you don't want to believe that angels give humans revelation then you should not believe in any religious text. How exactly did you think it was done? The Book of Revelations was a dream that John had while he was in jail.

The claim that the book is managed by the Urantia Foundation. Well, it's free online. I wouldn't call that "managed" but okay, whatever.

As for the racist take on the UB, when information is channeled it has to go through a human. Humans are faulty beings, they are emotional, they want what they want, and at times they put their own prejudice into the message. I know this causes doubt to the validity of the message but here's the thing, it happens in everything we do. Even scientists weave their desires into their theories.

The Urantia Foundation is a cult? A cult is a group with deviant ideas. When the Jews became Jews they were deviating from the neighboring cultures. When Jesus gave us new ideas the early Christians were a cult. New information is always received with skepticism because it doesn't fit with people's preconceived ideas about how God and the universe should work.

The Urantia Book followers have blinding faith and empty hopes and nothing more? As if other religious people are not blindly faithful?

The scientific concepts are outdated and based upon the ideas of the time? Well, if the solar system formed from a condensing cloud of gas then how come the sun rotates perpendicular to the ecliptic plane? It would rotate the same direction as the ecliptic plane if it all came from a condensing nebula.

Also, the big bang never happened. If it did there would be a hollow area at the center of the universe. There isn't one. Galaxies are evenly distributed. The scientists found that every galaxy was moving away from each other so they thought that it all came from the same place but a big bang violates the law of gravity. If you have to change your known laws of physics to fit an idea, maybe the idea is incorrect. All the scientists can say is that galaxies are moving away from each other, not that they all came from one big bang. There is much more I could post about this subject but this is getting long enough as it is.

The article ends with the author trying to tell you that he is not concerned with the birth of life, extraterrestrials, and that he lives in the NOW and make the best of it. Good for him. That's not enough for me. I want answers. I want to know how things really work.

OP, are you still there? You replied to Rapture Era, and he said,

Rapture Era said:
Thats real nice but you haven't answered my question. How do you account for this?
The Urantia Book Spiritual Scam | Religious figures (modern)

What was Rapture Era's question and where was it posted? I didn't see it anywhere. Also, what is he asking you to do, defend against an entire book, "The Urantia Book Spiritual Scam | Religious figures (modern)"?

Maybe I'll Google it. Does Rapture Era have any specific questions?

And I just wanted to mention that as far as I know, The Urantia Book was not channeled.

Here is a history of how The Urantia Book came to be:

A History of The Urantia Papers

More later if this thread still lives.

Furchizedek

Oh, I Googled the article Rapture Era mentioned, What a disaster that is! And so unbelievably slanted, like this: "but we are told that it was actually communicated by some “celestial beings”, yeah like aliens."

Like angels. Celestial beings are angels, the very same that the article of the hatchet job believes in. Anyway, the entire thing is nasty, disrespectful Christian false witness bearing.

He says: "The book is managed by a group of people (or a single guy) who call themselves the Urantia Foundation."

That's untrue.

And... "in 1911 a guy named William S. Sadler, a psychiatrist, received this weired visitor that blurted stories while he was in some trance from which he could not wake up."

That's untrue. Dr. Sadler didn't "received this weired visitor" even if weird was spelled right.

And this sniveling comment: "This cannot be proven because according to the Urantia Foundation, none of them is still alive and their names cannot be revealed in case people want to adore them… yeahhhh…"

What does the "yeahhhh..." mean? Anyone know? It's snivelingly disrespectful. And in fact we know all of the names of the "contact commission." The Christian writer got himself a little mixed up on that. But it is true, the celestials (angels, not aliens) who revealed The Urantia Book do NOT want to create another Paul situation where the words of a mere man become worshiped as "God's Word," as Christians do with Paul and the bible. The fact is that Paul and his doctrines of men have usurped Jesus and his "gospel of the kingdom" for Christians. And this Christian says above, "This cannot be proved..." What cannot be proved?, and what difference does it make? No one is trying to "prove" anything. Read the book for yourself and prove it to yourself. We are not in the proving or convincing business. Christians do that but we don't. It' between you and the book. "You have to read it to believe it." That's our motto.

And in a stunning display of bearing false witness the Christian writer says, about people he never knew or met: "They also believed that the White people were sent from God to populate the Earth, that “******s”, “Indians” and other none-Whites were to serve them." My goodness, what anger is revealed there, so much so that he tries to smear people he's never met and likely knows nothing about, and which in any case is not supported in The Urantia Book. The Urantia Book does not teach that “******s”, “Indians” and other none-Whites were to serve them." I certainly wouldn't want to be a member of any church that would have such a non-Christian Christian as the writer of that article seems to be. Nor does The Urantia Book teach that "the White people were sent from God to populate the Earth" as that so-called Christian says. So ignorant!

And then this so-called Christian quotes Martin Gardner and says he said that Wilfred Custer Kellogg was the “channeller” Sadler talked about. But the fact is that Martin Gardner didn't know and no one knows and no one ever will and that's the way God's celestial revelators want it. And what difference does it make who the "channeler" was? That's like demanding to know the name of the Western Union Telegram boy before you will take the telegram message and read it. "I demand that you tell me your name or I won't take the telegram and read the message that someone sent me." How stupid is that? And Martin Gardner (RIP) had admitted that he never read the entire Urantia Book. He was in his 80s when he did his little critique and was we'll past his prime.

Done for now.

Furchizedek

Urantia Book Questions

Is it a revealed book from G-d. If yes, on whom? Please.
Regards

Hello. Um, you know how the Christians say that the bible is "God's word," and "written by God," and "authored by God," and "inspired by God," and is "the Word of God," etc?

We don't say that. We say The Urantia Book is a revelation to our world from God's celestial government. God himself, the Creator of the Universe did not personally write The Urantia Book, or the bible either for that matter.

The Urantia Book claims to be authored by agents of God's government, angels, midwayers, Melchizedeks, arch angels, and others.

I'm not sure what your question, "If yes, on whom?" means. It probably just needs to be re-stated. In any case, maybe this would help, it's a link to a pretty reasonable account of how The Urantia Book came to be, but it's not a short read:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Hello. Um, you know how the Christians say that the bible is "God's word," and "written by God," and "authored by God," and "inspired by God," and is "the Word of God," etc?

We don't say that. We say The Urantia Book is a revelation to our world from God's celestial government. God himself, the Creator of the Universe did not personally write The Urantia Book, or the bible either for that matter.

The Urantia Book claims to be authored by agents of God's government, angels, midwayers, Melchizedeks, arch angels, and others.

I'm not sure what your question, "If yes, on whom?" means. It probably just needs to be re-stated. In any case, maybe this would help, it's a link to a pretty reasonable account of how The Urantia Book came to be, but it's not a short read:

"If yes, on whom?"

I mean the person or the individual who received this revelation.
What was the form of this Revelation? Please
Regards

Furchizedek

"If yes, on whom?"

I mean the person or the individual who received this revelation.
What was the form of this Revelation? Please
Regards

It's a long story, that link I gave you would have what you want to know, but we think that the revelators began planning for this in the 1300s or so. That they probably had several different groups of humans that were possible candidates for getting the revelation into material form. That they eventually picked Dr. William S. Sadler, a former Seventh Day Adventist, a doctor, surgeon, psychiatrist, author, and speaker, and his "group" to be the group to shepherd the revelation into print. William S. Sadler - Wikipedia We think they got his attention some time around 1911 or so. A woman in the apartment building had something strange going on with her husband at night and she contacted the doctor (Sadler) in a nearby apartment to please come over and check out the situation. The man in question WAS NOT Dr. Sadler's "mental patient" as some Christians try to make out. To hear them tell it, if you break your leg and the only doctor around to lend a hand is a psychiatrist, that makes you a mental patient. It's very dishonest.

Anyway, after some years of getting Dr. Sadler's confidence and trusting that he wouldn't make a three ring circus out of it like Edgar Cayce, we think that the revelators simply delivered (materialized) the text of The Urantia Book in a few thousand hand written pages. From there it was proofread and eventually set into 2200 nickel printing plates for the 1955 First Printing. There were 10,000 of those printed.

The link I gave is the place to go for the story. A History of The Urantia Papers

But if you have any more questions. go ahead and ask them. I'll try to answer them.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It's a long story, that link I gave you would have what you want to know, but we think that the revelators began planning for this in the 1300s or so. That they probably had several different groups of humans that were possible candidates for getting the revelation into material form. That they eventually picked Dr. William S. Sadler, a former Seventh Day Adventist, a doctor, surgeon, psychiatrist, author, and speaker, and his "group" to be the group to shepherd the revelation into print. William S. Sadler - Wikipedia We think they got his attention some time around 1911 or so. A woman in the apartment building had something strange going on with her husband at night and she contacted the doctor (Sadler) in a nearby apartment to please come over and check out the situation. The man in question WAS NOT Dr. Sadler's "mental patient" as some Christians try to make out. To hear them tell it, if you break your leg and the only doctor around to lend a hand is a psychiatrist, that makes you a mental patient. It's very dishonest.

Anyway, after some years of getting Dr. Sadler's confidence and trusting that he wouldn't make a three ring circus out of it like Edgar Cayce, we think that the revelators simply delivered (materialized) the text of The Urantia Book in a few thousand hand written pages. From there it was proofread and eventually set into 2200 nickel printing plates for the 1955 First Printing. There were 10,000 of those printed.

The link I gave is the place to go for the story. A History of The Urantia Papers

But if you have any more questions. go ahead and ask them. I'll try to answer them.
For instance, I believe, Quran was revealed to Muhammad by G-d. So there is no single individual on whom Urantia Book/Papers was revealed by G-d, as I understand from your post. Am I right, please?
One is welcome to differ with me with good reasons and arguments, if any.

Regards

Furchizedek

For instance, I believe, Quran was revealed to Muhammad by G-d.

Really? You believe that? Are you a Muslim? What about Joseph Smith and the Mormons, what about that story?

So there is no single individual on whom Urantia Book/Papers was revealed by G-d, as I understand from your post. Am I right, please?

Yes, I would say that's about right. The revelators (God's agents) didn't want to create another Paul or Joseph Smith or even Muhammad. They wanted the message as free from human contamination as possible.

And by the way, I would be honored if you would add the Urantia symbol to your design. Like this:
Screenshot (232)1.png

According to The Urantia Book, Melchizedek wore this emblem (last one on the right) 4000 years ago when he came here in the times of Abraham.

One is welcome to differ with me with good reasons and arguments, if any.

Regards