• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Update on :- Anglican Gay Bishop Barred from Once-a-decade Church Meeting

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I thought this was an interesting article. I think it's especially funny how the reason for barring him was to not have him be the center of attention, and it had the opposite effect. I'm so glad it backfired.

A

angellous_evangellous

Let's recognize Robinson as "bishop" rather than "priest." He's earned that distinction...

A

angellous_evangellous

Woops, I don't know what happened. Could you change that title for me, please? I purposely told myself it was bishop, not priest, and then I guess I forgot. :eek:

Sure. It's done.

I thought that this was old news, but I suppose that Bishop Robinson has been refused from several conferences by now. I know that he's unwelcome here in this area by the Bishop of Fort Worth, and that is very unfortunate.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Sure. It's done.

I thought that this was old news, but I suppose that Bishop Robinson has been refused from several conferences by now. I know that he's unwelcome here in this area by the Bishop of Fort Worth, and that is very unfortunate.

Thanks. Well, it might be old news to some, but this is the first I heard about it. It's interesting that it is not an isolated occurance.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Bishop Robinson was elevated to bishop by a break away Episcopal church in America, in the full knowledge that he was a practising gay.
The Anglican church laws bar practising gays being made Bishop.
As such he was not qualified to be invited to the conference in an official capacity. however he has not been bared from attending the unofficial parts of the conference.

There are serious matters concerning women and Gays being discussed throughout the Anglican Communion with a fairly strong likelihood that some sort of split will result. Though the major concern is about Women Bishops not Gay ones.
Right wing Anglicans who are mainly led from Africa are solidly against both women and gay priests let alone Bishops.
The African Anglican Churches have by far the largest Anglican membership, but at the same time are in receipt of by far the largest financial support.

The Lambeth conference wishes to concentrate on the important issues and not be sidetracked into giving its support to either side at this stage.

That Robinson will get the attention of the News and media, is with out doubt true, but such things will not have any more influence over the conference than they have in the past.

In the Church of England the liberal wing is in the ascendency, as demonstrated by their vote for women Bishops in the past few days. The Position on Gay Priests is far less clear.

A

angellous_evangellous

It's a shame. Really.

I...I don't think that's right. I don't care if I am of a different religion.

I don't think that it's right, either, but it will make a great story for historians. The gay bishop outside of the conference trying to get in... it's a wonderful testimony to Robinson's perseverance and dedication. Eventually, he will be accepted, or his successors will, but he's carrying a mighty heritage.

There's no shame on Robinson's end.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It would be interesting to know the position of practising Gay priests and or Bishops in other Christian churches.
I am sure some would even deny that there are any.

A

angellous_evangellous

It would be interesting to know the position of practising Gay priests and or Bishops in other Christian churches.
I am sure some would even deny that there are any.

I don't know if we can even know how many there are. :shrug:

The key with Robinson is that he's open and practicing and not doing it in secret. :eek:

I would suspect that about 10% of all pastors and religious leaders are practicing homosexuals - or perhaps a lot more. Most of them are in the closet.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I heard Robinson interviwed on the televison this morning, following the debacle over the week end.....

The story is here:- Gene Robinson 'saddened' by London church heckler | Newsblog | guardian.co.uk
an extract:-

Gene Robinson 'saddened' by London church heckler

The presence in the UK of the first openly gay Anglican bishop has highlighted the schism within the church
July 14, 2008 1:13 PM

The openly gay US bishop whose consecration has led to a split in the Anglican church today said he was overcome with sadness after being heckled while giving a sermon at a church in south-west London.
It is not surprising that Gene Robinson's visit to the UK has been surrounded by controversy. Last month, conservative evangelicals representing half of the world's Anglicans launched a new global church because they were unhappy at the "militant secularism and pluralism" which led to Robinson being installed as the bishop of New Hampshire.
Yesterday, he was preaching at St Mary's Church in Putney when he was interrupted by cries of cries of "repent" and "go back to your own church"............

The Bishop struck me as a very honest and "Christian" man; when asked what he thought of the ArchBishop of Canterbury's attitude, he simply said "I understand his stance perfectly, I like and admire him."

Where does Christianity go from here?

I know that several Christians here have felt - understandably - very "Uncomfortable" at the attitude that they were aware that their faith would make them respond to the whole problem of Gays, and felt "pulled" by the mixed feelings of "The caring Christian" Vs the "Scriptural Christian".

Is the argument that being Gay is not an "ilness", but a much more intrinsic part of being a "different" human, with the logical (which the Bishop used, as an argument) "But I am God's creation; he made me this way - I know that he loves me, and I know that he wants me to fulfil my religious duties" make any difference ? Is there a case for the need for a change in attitude from the Church ? How do you think that this -forever "in our faces" problem may be resolved?

oldcajun

__BE REAL
I thought this was an interesting article. I think it's especially funny how the reason for barring him was to not have him be the center of attention, and it had the opposite effect. I'm so glad it backfired.

I don't think their reason was funny. It was cowardly. They needed to man-up and state the real reason. The guy is an openly admitted homophile.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't think their reason was funny. It was cowardly. They needed to man-up and state the real reason. The guy is an openly admitted homophile.

I didn't say their reason was funny. What I said was funny was that their action was meant to accomplish a certain goal (keeping Robinson from being the center of attention), and, in fact, it had the complete opposite effect.