• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Untreated/Insufficiently Treated Health Issues and Finances

Do you have untreated/insufficiently treated health issues due to lack of insurance/finances?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm interested to know how many people here have untreated or insufficiently treated health issues specifically due to inability to afford health care or due to lack of insurance coverage.

I have a couple of long-term health issues for which I used to be unable to afford treatment, but that has changed in the last few years, thankfully.

The poll is anonymous.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I tried to avoid doctor visits in the past because of high copays despite having insurance. I paid the price for that and ended up in the hospital and received a hefty stack of bills anyway (~5 min ambulance ride alone was $600+).

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I have none. But I live in a country with universal health care
My last doctor’s visit was completely free, as it was covered by my taxes
Indeed it never occurs to me to not seek medical treatment due to costs. Maybe my own stubbornness and reluctance to be around creepy hospital areas. But I mean not being able to afford the doctor has never really entered my mind

Whilst bankruptcy due to medical costs isn’t unheard of here, it’s not to the extent where you could write TV shows dedicated to it lol
(Looking at you, Breaking Bad.)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
No, I don't.

I feel like my state does an okay job on healthcare. From what I hear, it's gotten better recently, too.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have in the past. I once tried to self treat a UTI to the point it got so bad I wound up in the ER. (No insurance, I got sued over the bill from that.) I also let my wisdom teeth rot out instead of having them removed(intensely painful; again, no insurance to get the job done, a relative eventually helped). I needed mental health care that I wasn't able to access; I actually found a therapist who saw me pro bono. That's rare.

Laws in my state have become a little more lenient for some. I get state insurance now. I do have a bad hip that needs attending, but I have let it go because its hard to find any one to watch the kids once a week for the inevitable PT that will be assigned. That's not really a cost related thing, though, that's just lack of general life support. My friend said a week or two ago she may be free on Wednesday afternoons if I can get it done then...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm interested to know how many people here have untreated or insufficiently treated health issues specifically due to inability to afford health care or due to lack of insurance coverage.

I have a couple of long-term health issues for which I used to be unable to afford treatment, but that has changed in the last few years, thankfully.

The poll is anonymous.
A North American Politics forum topic then? :oops:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Im poor enough to be on welfare, so nearly all my medical needs are absolutely free (minus eyeglasses, but I can go to Mexico for glasses).
I was going to different kinds of therapy for five times a week at one point. Plus I got physical therapy three times a week. I’ve gotten X-rays and an MRI. I get psychiatry and a general doctor and all the medication I need, all free. Not trying to brag.

My aunt and I were talking about this recently. They are upper middle class so therapy was much harder to come by for her daughter, because it’s expensive. (She was saying the cheapest she found was like 75$ an hour)

I live in the US by the way. If I was financially well off, I’m not sure I’d be able to afford all the medical care I currently get. Ironic, isn’t it?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Ive lived in a country where healthcare is free at the point of use. And a country where the government provides up to 85% of healthcare and compulsory insurance takes care of the rest.

Even so...

I have a long term back issue that is treated with kinesiotherapy and pain killers to help manage it. Often it doesn't work... You can tell when that is because I'm a bad tempered grouch, enen on RF ;-)

They can operate but i refused, so nothing to do with finance. My refusal was based on the fact i would be pain free but in all probability be restricted to a wheelchair for the rest of my life. No thanks, I'll take the pain.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I have in the past. I once tried to self treat a UTI to the point it got so bad I wound up in the ER. (No insurance, I got sued over the bill from that.) I also let my wisdom teeth rot out instead of having them removed(intensely painful; again, no insurance to get the job done, a relative eventually helped). I needed mental health care that I wasn't able to access; I actually found a therapist who saw me pro bono. That's rare.

Laws in my state have become a little more lenient for some. I get state insurance now. I do have a bad hip that needs attending, but I have let it go because its hard to find any one to watch the kids once a week for the inevitable PT that will be assigned. That's not really a cost related thing, though, that's just lack of general life support. My friend said a week or two ago she may be free on Wednesday afternoons if I can get it done then...

Following the PT regime is critical so finger's crossed for you.