• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unpopular opinions

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What was wrong with it? I've been considering some movies to branch off horror more, and Crash is one I've been looking at. I might look elsewhere if it sounds uninteresting, though.
I remember it is being clumsily cringeworthily preachy.
Racism is bad.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The theme of the movie was "racism is bad".
I recall strongly that it sucked.
Tastes are highly individual.
Perhaps you'd like it.

Oh, I see. I'm not sure why having "racism is bad" as a message would make the movie bad, especially since similar social and political commentary in movies is about as old as the industry itself. Perhaps the presentation of the message could, but that applies to any message a movie could have, in my opinion (and many or possibly most movies have one message or another anyway).

I'll probably check out some more kaiju/monster movies before this one, though. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It was badly done.
Go see the movie.
Give us your review.

I often avoid movies with heavy-handed social or political commentary, so what you've said kinda doesn't make it sound promising.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely post my opinion here if I end up watching it.

Jedster

I really liked "The Foreigner" with Jackie Chan playing a really serious part. It has no Hollywood glitter and takes place in the UK.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Crash (2004)
Possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.
I don't know anyone who thinks that was a good movie. It was a pile of crap and it was obvious they only gave it the Best Picture Oscar to snub Brokeback Mountain, which was the most acclaimed and one of the most popular films of that year. (They also snubbed Heath for his first well-deserved Oscar that year, too. Hollywood has been homophobic for a while, which is ironic because they pretend to be gay-friendly now.)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know anyone who thinks that was a good movie. It was a pile of crap and it was obvious they only gave it the Best Picture Oscar to snub Brokeback Mountain, which was the most acclaimed and one of the most popular films of that year. (They also snubbed Heath for his first well-deserved Oscar that year, too. Hollywood has been homophobic for a while, which is ironic because they pretend to be gay-friendly now.)

I considered checking it out when I read that it supposedly had a plot with a meaningful message and then saw that it had a 7.8/10 user score out of over 434,000 reviews on IMDb. That's pretty high compared to most movies, especially considering the large number of reviews.

I just prefer to check movies out more thoroughly if I become interested in them because I've disliked a lot of well-reviewed movies and also loved ones with average scores. In this case, I've been trying to see how much of the criticism of Crash is simply agenda-laden and stemming from the plot's (supposedly) pointing out problems with racism in the U.S.--much like some criticism of "woke" movies that is mostly or purely based on hyperbole and personal politics--and how much is grounded in genuine flaws in the movie and its presentation of its message.

What was wrong with it? I've been considering some movies to branch off horror more, and Crash is one I've been looking at. I might look elsewhere if it sounds uninteresting, though.

Sounds terrible form the blurb :D

"A group of strangers in Los Angeles grapple with issues of race, class, family and gender in the aftermath of the September 11 terror attacks in New York."

It is basically an affectedly self-righteous series of set-pieces. Rather than telling a natural story that happens to contain some social commentary, it's like he started by making a list of moralistic points he wanted to make and contrived a turgid film around them. Just really forced, smug and pretentious.

Still not as bad as The Master though (which I thought I'd really enjoy).

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

"A group of strangers in Los Angeles grapple with issues of race, class, family and gender in the aftermath of the September 11 terror attacks in New York."

It is basically an affectedly self-righteous series of set-pieces. Rather than telling a natural story that happens to contain some social commentary, it's like he started by making a list of moralistic points he wanted to make and contrived a turgid film around them. Just really forced, smug and pretentious.

Thanks for the answer. I've watched some movies where the story seemed constructed ham-fistedly around the message rather than being subtle or thought-provoking about what the plot is meant to convey, so I think I get what you mean.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Yes, that's basically what the problem is. It's very preachy. The acting wasn't great, either.

gnomon

Requiem For A Dream.

Hated watching that boring *** movie. It didn't help I was living in a halfway house at the time and my roommates kept going nuts every time a character shot up. Add to that one of my roommates kept trying to insert "it's a first step movie!" while watching it. You can add Girl, Interrupted to that as well.

One I like but most of my family won't watch and the few people I do interact with didn't like is Joker. That and The Last Unicorn. I've watched both of those movies too much.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Requiem For A Dream.

Hated watching that boring *** movie. It didn't help I was living in a halfway house at the time and my roommates kept going nuts every time a character shot up. Add to that one of my roommates kept trying to insert "it's a first step movie!" while watching it. You can add Girl, Interrupted to that as well.

Oh really? That’s interesting. And understandable.
We actually had to watch the film for my grade 10 (so around 15 years old) Health class back in high school. A little weird looking back since I’m fairly sure it’s rated R18+ in my country. I mean we got parental permission so I suppose meh.
I think it was to help illustrate the various affects of drugs, since that was a core component of the course at the time. Don’t know if that was the ultimate takeaway since most girls in my class had a giant crush on Leto lol but anyway
Oddly enough I had to read the novel it was based off in English class a couple years prior.
I remember we watched Donnie Darko a lot in school. Mostly at the end of term when schoolwork was finished. And people attended school only because their parents were working lol
I think for that reason I conflate the two. And have a bit of nostalgia for them both honestly

One I like but most of my family won't watch and the few people I do interact with didn't like is Joker. That and The Last Unicorn. I've watched both of those movies too much.
Omg I love both those movies so much!! The Last Unicorn was my childhood. And Joker just slaps, imo