• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unpopular opinions

The Crimson Universe

I like do like Tom Hanks, that's really why i watched Forest Gump. I was disappointed.

I saw the Da Vinci code just after visiting Florence, there was so much wrong with the film it spoiled it for me.

I never watched Da Vinci Code. What's it about? Do i need to have a basic knowledge of Christianity to understand its content? o_O

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One movie that was quite popular (and some even consider it their favorite) was Blade Runner, yet I was always kind of "meh" about it. I liked it; I didn't think it was a bad film. But I guess I just didn't appreciate it on the same level as many other people I knew did.

pearl

I never watched Da Vinci Code. What's it about? Do i need to have a basic knowledge of Christianity to understand its content? o_O

It proposes that Jesus was married and the blood line has been traced to a living descendant, a young woman, and protected by the cult within the church, imagine Opus Dei. You probably also never watched the sequel, 'Angels and Demons' also by Brown and Thom Hanks, but more of a sci-fi.

Viker

Häxan
Titanic is the most overrated.

Most have never heard of A Field in England, excellent movie I watch a few times a year.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I like do like Tom Hanks, that's really why i watched Forest Gump. I was disappointed.
Why? :)
Forrest Gump shows that the people that the frenetic society calls "slow" are actually good-hearted and most of the times smarter than the alleged intelligent people who claim to be the smartest ones.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why? :)
Forrest Gump shows that the people that the frenetic society calls "slow" are actually good-hearted and most of the times smarter than the alleged intelligent people who claim to be the smartest ones.

And that didn't improve the film in any way. It was simply unbelievable and i believe showed "slow" people in a bad light.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Forest Gump, i thought was a silly movie, most people seem to love it.

The 13th warrior, i loved and watch it over around every couple of years. It was slated by the critics and I've only know a couple of people who also like it
one of my faves, too (warrior, not Gump)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
David Lynch's version is the best.
He really knew how to portray the Harkonnens.

Over-rated.....
Jaws was 99% boring plot to justify occasional
terror provided by the shark.
I dunno, the scene with Robert Shaw describing the shark attacks among the Indianapolis survivors was pretty terrifying...I saw Jaws the first time at a Drive-in theater on Cape Cod...that was the scene that did it for me...

exchemist

Veteran Member
So, I feel like everyone has at least one film that everyone hates that they love and a film they hate but everyone loves.

I never really liked Grease. Songs are catchy as hell and I sing along every time. So I do get it. But I don’t know, just never got the hype. We watched it a lot in school and I just hated it.

(Not ruling out live shows though. Maybe I’d love them, I dunno.)

I liked the film Repo: A Genetic Opera.
I would never argue it’s a flawless movie because it’s anything but. But I liked it in a sort of “Rocky Horror” kind of way.

Bonus shout out to the Scooby Doo live action movie. Maybe I’d hate it now, but I liked it enough as a kid lol. It had a self deprecating sense of humour and had some fairly good nods to the OG show. Also it had Buffy lol

What are some of yours?
I really hated “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”. I felt that not only did it have no plot but that it was an attack on rationality.

I’m less sure about one I loved but nobody else did. Perhaps “Local Hero” was thought silly or pointless by some people. To me it was a distillation of memories of childhood in Scotland - and Mark Knopfler’s music evoked it perfectly.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't like musicals.

I didn't care for Jaws.

Never seen Frozen.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
So, I feel like everyone has at least one film that everyone hates that they love and a film they hate but everyone loves.

I never really liked Grease. Songs are catchy as hell and I sing along every time. So I do get it. But I don’t know, just never got the hype. We watched it a lot in school and I just hated it.

(Not ruling out live shows though. Maybe I’d love them, I dunno.)

I liked the film Repo: A Genetic Opera.
I would never argue it’s a flawless movie because it’s anything but. But I liked it in a sort of “Rocky Horror” kind of way.

Bonus shout out to the Scooby Doo live action movie. Maybe I’d hate it now, but I liked it enough as a kid lol. It had a self deprecating sense of humour and had some fairly good nods to the OG show. Also it had Buffy lol

What are some of yours?

- I really disliked Midsommar and the Witch, both of which are highly rated horror movies whether by critics or fans. Ditto for the Omen and the Blair Witch Project.

- In my opinion, Ringu and its American remake, the Ring, are boring and barely scary at all. There are many horror movies that are far less popular that I like a lot more.

- I've never watched a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, and I'm not interested in doing so.

- I found Get Out okay but not nearly as amazing as many people rate it to be. I also find Jordan Peele's social and racial commentary in that movie, while based on very real and genuine grounds, a bit too heavy-handed, almost like an act of spoon-feeding the audience said commentary.

On the flip side:

- I love Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Yes, the plot and most of the human characters are cheesy and poor, but the CGI, music, and monster action are amazing--and at the end of the day, those are the main things I look for in a Godzilla movie.

- I found the 2006 movie adaptation of Silent Hill absolutely beautiful, especially the music and the faithfulness to the source material. The atmosphere felt genuinely nightmarish, too.

- The entire (original/Japanese) Ju-On franchise is my favorite horror franchise of all time. The Grudge is popular among horror fans, but not the earlier Ju-On: The Curse and Ju-On: The Curse 2, both of which I really liked as well.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
- I really disliked Midsommar and the Witch, both of which are highly rated horror movies whether by critics or fans. Ditto for the Omen and the Blair Witch Project.

- In my opinion, Ringu and its American remake, the Ring, are boring and barely scary at all. There are many horror movies that are far less popular that I like a lot more.

- I've never watched a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, and I'm not interested in doing so.

- I found Get Out okay but not nearly as amazing as many people rate it to be. I also find Jordan Peele's social and racial commentary in that movie, while based on very real and genuine grounds, a bit too heavy-handed, almost like an act of spoon-feeding the audience said commentary.

On the flip side:

- I love Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Yes, the plot and most of the human characters are cheesy and poor, but the CGI, music, and monster action are amazing--and at the end of the day, those are the main things I look for in a Godzilla movie.

- I found the 2006 movie adaptation of Silent Hill absolutely beautiful, from the music to the faithfulness to the source material. The atmosphere felt genuinely nightmarish, too.

- The entire (original/Japanese) Ju-On franchise is my favorite horror franchise of all time. The Grudge is popular among horror fans, but not the earlier Ju-On: The Curse and Ju-On: The Curse 2, both of which I really liked as well.
Truth be told, I share many of your opinions listed here lol
Except I’m an MCU fan lol

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
A couple more:

- While I appreciate the production values of most movies in the Conjuring universe, I strongly dislike their glorification of Ed and Lorraine Warren, two known frauds. Ed Warren reportedly even made up some of the stories attributed to "paranormal experiences."

- I found the Exorcism of Emily Rose a conspicuous piece of fanatic Christian propaganda that put a morally and intellectually bankrupt spin on the tragedy of Anneliese Michel's death.