• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unorganized Religion?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I hear people say that they don't like organized religion, and there are times when I really can't blame them.
But what is unorganized religion? Does it exist? I assume that it does as I know many people who believe in God yet have no religion.
I am sure that everyone has different ideas about this, and I would really like to hear them. :shout:shout:)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
An unorganized religion, in my view, is one with no central authority or governing body. It most likely (though not always) has a canon of sacred texts that are the basis for worship. Mostly it has core practices and beliefs:

Hinduism and Buddhism are the classic examples of unorganized religions. I daresay that Judaism and Islam are not organized religions because there is no central governing body, only the scriptures, which are interpreted differently by different sects.

Probably the only organized religion is Christianity. The Anglican, Roman Catholic, and Eastern Orthodox Churches all have a central governing body or clerical hierarchy.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Unorganized could be no governing body. It could also mean it's less dogma. The latter doesn't make sense.

muslim-

Exactly. Organized religion doesnt really have a meaning. Unless if they mean theres a central religious authority like the Catholic Church. But most religious dont have such hierarchic organizations.

When they bring it up I think of it as just another way of saying "make up your own religion".

I also feel the same about "not blaming them". When theres so many people doing so many wrong things in the name of different religions, people who dont have much knowledge are just confused with the so many sects etc.

Personally, I think only one religion can be correct, while others I wouldnt necessarily consider "mythology", but id say a mixture of religion and mythology. So I can see how this situation can confuse so many and just decide to label all as "organized religion". I dont think its an accurate approach, though.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I hear people say that they don't like organized religion, and there are times when I really can't blame them.
But what is unorganized religion? Does it exist? I assume that it does as I know many people who believe in God yet have no religion.
I am sure that everyone has different ideas about this, and I would really like to hear them. :shout:shout:)
For me a great deal of non organized religion involves free study of scripture and texts, and major esoteric themes which go well beyond simple liturgy and prescribed political mindset.
It means that I can apply my critical ability to in depth reading and studying interesting material, also to consider the environment and philosophical growth during the periods before the materialized version organized religion we do know.
I have read well enough not to be limited in this regard by one official dogma, or political mindset. life is dynamic, and so are culture and history.
many people, part of an organized religion treat their scripture in the way their dogma expects them to. however, this approach always demand ignoring the possibilities which existed during the first era of the religion's emergence. they get a finalized version (in some sense) and they stick to the expectations from their immediate social contacts, which means they are willing to test their religion or background only that much.
BTW, there is nothing wrong with that necessarily. it's simply that its not suited for all people.
I know that I will always crave more philosophical stimulation.
no organized religion has ever satisfied my need to have a philosophy which sits well with the natural sciences and with a reasonable universal way to approach ideas, people or challenges.
however a synthesis of several esoteric themes has been able to do that to some degree, together with a dynamic approach to study the major scriptures in light of both academic and philosophical considerations.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Kinda like Unitarian Universalism I suppose.

There are morals, but no dogma that is required.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Kinda like Unitarian Universalism I suppose.

There are morals, but no dogma that is required.
"Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, or by extension by some other group or organization."

If there are prescribed morals, there is dogma.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've noticed that some in the West think that a religion must, by definition, be organized. What "organized" means will vary, but usually involves something relating to public social functions of multiple people holding to similar beliefs or practices. Some get a bit too narrow in what they mean by organized for my tastes, as it ends up excluding what I do from the "religion" category. That would not honestly bother me if shutting me out of the "religion" category meant I could easily be denied religious freedoms and rights granted by our governments.

Just an observation.