• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unlicensed Handguns

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
So do you have anything substantial to contribute to this discussion at all, or are you just here to lob insults at people for seemingly no reason but your inability to adress their arguments?
Well, when you finally get around to actually having a discussion instead of twisting what is posted around to lob irrelevants jabs at....

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Why do you believe people would be afraid of a stranger with a loaded gun?
Seems to me the answer to that is as varied as the people who are afraid of guns.
You ask ten people and you will likely get ten or more reasons.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Seems to me the answer to that is as varied as the people who are afraid of guns.
You ask ten people and you will likely get ten or more reasons.
If you have no idea what people are actually thinking about your guns, then why do we assume they are all afraid of your openly carried gun, but not of the potential of you secretly packing a loaded weapon to kill them with?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
If you have no idea what people are actually thinking about your guns, then why do we assume they are all afraid of your openly carried gun, but not of the potential of you secretly packing a loaded weapon to kill them with?
I do not assume that ALL people are afraid of my carrying a firearm.
I do know for a fact that open carrying will trigger some people and it is not worth the hassle.

Since I no longer carry large sums of money for other people, I switched from open carry to conceal carry.
Why?
Because those who would be triggered by open carry are not triggered if they are completely unaware I am carrying a trigger.

As for "to kill them with", that is your fantasy, not mine.
Nor is it a secret.
Most if not all the law enforcement officers in my neck of the woods know I carry.
City, county, even the DNR officers.
That you would not have a clue is because it is none of your business.
Unless you make your business.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I do not assume that ALL people are afraid of my carrying a firearm.
I do know for a fact that open carrying will trigger some people and it is not worth the hassle.
So just so I can get your claims straight - you "know for a fact" that people are afraid of your gun, but have no idea why anybody would be scared of an armed stranger; and yet it does not appear to me like you consider their fears reasonable or even rational in the first place, even though you don't actually know why they would be afraid of you.

Am I, therefore, reasonable in my assumption that you simply assume that anybody who would be afraid of a gun is an idiot who doesn't know anything and whose opinion isn't worth prying into in the first place?

I "know for a fact" that you can kill people with most personal firearms popular in the US (such as e.g. the Glock 17) - contrary to your insistence that this is a fantasy of mine, it has been widely attested as factual reality. If you don't know that you can actually kill people with your guns, please go get some really basic education on how to handle a firearm, or at the very least watch a tutorial on Youtube.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
So just so I can get your claims straight
i seriously doubt it...

- you "know for a fact" that people are afraid of your gun, but have no idea why anybody would be scared of an armed stranger; and yet it does not appear to me like you consider their fears reasonable or even rational in the first place, even though you don't actually know why they would be afraid of you.
Well, when you finally get around to actually having a discussion instead of twisting what is posted around to lob irrelevants jabs at....

Am I, therefore, reasonable in my assumption that you simply assume that anybody who would be afraid of a gun is an idiot who doesn't know anything and whose opinion isn't worth prying into in the first place?
Nope.

I "know for a fact" that you can kill people with most personal firearms popular in the US (such as e.g. the Glock 17) - contrary to your insistence that this is a fantasy of mine, it has been widely attested as factual reality. If you don't know that you can actually kill people with your guns, please go get some really basic education on how to handle a firearm, or at the very least watch a tutorial on Youtube.

I see you are not interested in an honest or meaningful discussion.
So fly on home and claim your victory.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
i seriously doubt it...

Nope.

I see you are not interested in an honest or meaningful discussion.
So fly on home and claim your victory.
You could have spared me the time of reading this lengthy response, given that you didn't say anything at all there. If you don't have anything of actual substance to say to me, then next time perhaps just don't?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You could have spared me the time of reading this lengthy response, given that you didn't say anything at all there. If you don't have anything of actual substance to say to me, then next time perhaps just don't?
Well, when you finally get around to actually having a discussion instead of twisting what is posted around to lob irrelevants jabs at...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OGC.d3b3e69c9c85c6560993517c107e3c06

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's quite simple. Don't buy a gun if you don't want one.
If guns only ever hurt their owners, that might work fine.

... but that's not the case.

There's an old saying often quoted by libertarians: "your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose." The modern equivalent would be "your right to carry a gun ends when I come into range."

esmith

Veteran Member

There's an old saying often quoted by libertarians: "your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose." The modern equivalent would be "your right to carry a gun ends when I come into range."
My right to defend myself whether it is by hitting you or the use of a firearm is predicated on the threat you present.
Ones rights is not based on just the rights of one person in this case.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why are you carrying a gun, then?

The obvious assumption is that someone carrying a loaded gun is carrying it in order to be ready to put bullets into something or soneone if they feel the situation dictates. Do you have some other reason?

Or is it just that you have the gun for wolves or bears, and you can't be bothered to take it off when you come to town?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My right to defend myself whether it is by hitting you or the use of a firearm is predicated on the threat you present.
Ones rights is not based on just the rights of one person in this case.
I don't have enough trust in your judgment to be willing to give up my life - and with it every right I have - based on your split-second decision of whether I pose a threat.

In fact, I'd say that anyone who would carrily a gun for "self defense" against other people, unless they face risks and threats far above average, has demonstrated that their judgment is so poor that they should never be put in a position where they could decide who lives and who dies.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Maybe it could be conversely put as well that, "My right to have a gun is precisely when you come into my range".

That is, if one happens to be a crazy psychopath or deranged individual intending grevious harm to person or property of course.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Maybe it could be conversely put as well that, "My right to have a gun is precisely when you come into my range".
Sure... by someone who hates liberty.

That is, if one happens to be a crazy psychopath or deranged individual intending grevious harm to person or property of course.
... who would also be likely to be armed, based on the same principle. o_O