• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universe Code

ecco

Veteran Member
Heisenberg, Schroedinger, von Neumann, Russell (ok he was a philosopher but a really important one), and Eddington to name a few, proposed ideas that many modern atheists dismiss out of hand as woo.
An example or two would help to further your argument.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Ok. In the spirit of conversation, not argument.

I mentioned von Neumann. He's the guy who formulated the mathematical structure of quantum mechanics. Von Neumann–Wigner interpretation - Wikipedia

You might recognise the name Wigner if you're into physics. He was a big deal and his thought experiment often called Wigner's friend has been in the news recently.

Here's a video of some woman reading from one of Erwin Shroedinger's works:

Arthur Eddington (the experimentalist who did the working confirming Einstein's general theory of relativity) was a proponent of pansychism and wrote a book on the subject.

I mentioned Heisenberg but I'm not too sure about him now. There's a quote often attributed to him that goes something like, "quantum mechanics won't appear strange to those who have read the vedas". I don't have any sources for that one.

I hope that helps.

ecco

Veteran Member
Not just Deepak Chopra. You'd be surprised at how many bonkers (on the face of it) ideas were espoused by serious scientists. Heisenberg, Schroedinger, von Neumann, Russell (ok he was a philosopher but a really important one), and Eddington to name a few, proposed ideas that many modern atheists dismiss out of hand as woo. I'm pretty confident that those guys were much smarter and far more engaged with the science that say Dawkins or Sam Harris (not that I dislike either of those two).

I mentioned von Neumann. He's the guy who formulated the mathematical structure of quantum mechanics. Von Neumann–Wigner interpretation - Wikipedia

You might recognise the name Wigner if you're into physics. He was a big deal and his thought experiment often called Wigner's friend has been in the news recently.

None of that addresses my request for you to provide an example of "proposed ideas that many modern atheists dismiss out of hand as woo".

To address that, you need to show a specific proposed idea that many modern atheists dismissed out of hand as woo. And then you need to show which modern atheists dismissed the idea as woo. For further validation, you should also show that it was only atheists that dismissed the idea as woo.

Then we have the basis for a discussion.

Yerda

Veteran Member
None of that addresses my request for you to provide an example of "proposed ideas that many modern atheists dismiss out of hand as woo".

To address that, you need to show a specific proposed idea that many modern atheists dismissed out of hand as woo. And then you need to show which modern atheists dismissed the idea as woo. For further validation, you should also show that it was only atheists that dismissed the idea as woo.

Ha! Are you serious?

I tell you what, I'll jump your hurdles if you'll agree to jump some on mine. Agreed?

ecco

Veteran Member

Ha! Are you serious?

I tell you what, I'll jump your hurdles if you'll agree to jump some on mine. Agreed?

So, you consider being asked to provide supporting evidence for your nonsensical assertions: "jumping hurdles".

I'll just put you into my little black book of people who make ridiculous assertions and then, when asked to support them, do not because they can not. No big surprise.

Yerda

Veteran Member
So, you consider being asked to provide supporting evidence for your nonsensical assertions: "jumping hurdles".

I'll just put you into my little black book of people who make ridiculous assertions and then, when asked to support them, do not because they can not. No big surprise.
Sigh.

Well you take care, pickle.