• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universalist or Syncretic

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Same or different?

I like to play with labels... and these are two that I believe could/may apply to me.

The marketable statement is mostly just valid around here though.

When I step AFK I just am what I am...

I get along.

I practice Spiritual Friendship and all that it means to me.

Notice more action in this forum lately... so just getting another thread going,
with a question/statement/label that's been on my mind for a while.

:namaste
SageTree

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Can you say how you feel they are different and/or the same?
Since you seem to have a firm grasp on the terms.

Personally I would say that a syncretist could limit themselves to only a couple of beliefs or religions, while I imagine a 'universalist' would imply a wider adherence to beliefs.

Looking at the definition of 'universalist' i'm not sure what that entails to, say U.U.'s

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The terms mean different things in different contexts, but in general, I do not see them as the same thing.

Syncretism is simply the blending of two or more supposedly distinct religious paths into a singular whole
Universalism on the other hand is a statement of religious pluralism: a belief that all religious paths contain truth and wisdom. In the context of some Abrahamic theologies, it specifically refers to the belief that everybody gets "saved."

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I also think they are different. I agree with the above explanation but I would add one more thing.

I see universalism as referring more to values and world view. It's very open and accepting. It directs morals. But it does not incorporate specific beliefs from any one religion or incorporate particular traditions or spiritual practice. Universalism finds the common ground in the various world philosophies and finds a kind of harmony.

Sycreticism, however, would incorporate both beliefs and practices from specific religions and reject those of other religions. It would find a way to make 2 or more belief systems work together. It is not just about values or outlook on life, it is a more comprehensive structure of believe and behaviour. Imo.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I can really see the difference when it comes to culture. Universalism is the set of beliefs/tenants that transcend culture, imo. Syncretism is often the blending of cultures, but not necessarily limited to culture. Syncretism can have aspects of universalism, while retaining its blend of cultures/beliefs/practices. Universalism can be accepting of all cultures, but doesn't necessarily define itself by culture.

A Universalist answer to the question, "Who really is my neighbor?" (from Christian Gospels) would be the one given by Jesus.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I also think they are different. I agree with the above explanation but I would add one more thing.

I see universalism as referring more to values and world view. It's very open and accepting. It directs morals. But it does not incorporate specific beliefs from any one religion or incorporate particular traditions or spiritual practice. Universalism finds the common ground in the various world philosophies and finds a kind of harmony.

Sycreticism, however, would incorporate both beliefs and practices from specific religions and reject those of other religions. It would find a way to make 2 or more belief systems work together. It is not just about values or outlook on life, it is a more comprehensive structure of believe and behaviour. Imo.

^ This. Universalism is a belief; syncretism is practice.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm at the stage where syncretic thinking no longer applies. One can only iron out so many wrinkles. I never did have much use for universalism.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see them differently also, just as others have explained. Often syncretists take non-conflicting beliefs from 2 or 3 systems, and may well combine them into his/her preferred way. But a universalist takes many, even conflicting ones, and then tries somehow to imply that both are correct.

Put another way, one sort of makes sense to me, because you can sort out any confusion, whereas the other one makes no sense to me at all.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I see them differently, too.
I'm both syncretic in that I practise through more than one faith, and a universalist in that I think they're all human attempts at reaching the Divine filtered through cultural, historic etc lenses.

So, yeah, I echo that syncretism is a practice, and universalism is a belief. Well, it was said the other way round, but I'm a rebel like that. :cool:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I feel my Univesalist tendencies preceded my Sycncretic ones, but at the time, never gave thought to it one way or another.

As for the general sentiment of Syncretics not bringing together conflicting elements and Universalists doing so....
IDK.... If I feel that is the the hallmark difference, as I've seen it go both ways.
Or maybe one would say that Sycretic is more Univesalist or that Universalist is more Syncretic?

:D

I didn't expect to get an answer for myself, but I appreciate what everyone has shared and said so far.

:namaste Thank you.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The two are not mutually exclusive, but don't have to be interchangeable either.
For example syncretism can be a fusion of several related philosophies, but these can be regional or related in thought. So syncretism may be an appliance of more specific rituals or philosophies which appeal to a person, on the other hand universalism can be a recognition that all world mystics aspire for ecstatic union, and that their outer religious label is an eggshell of something deeper.
One can be both a syncretist and universalist. But one can also be a syncretist without being a universalist.
To add to that, I also think that syncretism can be a tool to attaining a universal consciousness. For example to syncretise certain layers of world religions, while breaking the taboos of other layers from the same religions.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
There are few answers in New Brunswick.

Come again?

The two are not mutually exclusive, but don't have to be interchangeable either.
For example syncretism can be a fusion of several related philosophies, but these can be regional or related in thought. So syncretism may be an appliance of more specific rituals or philosophies which appeal to a person, on the other hand universalism can be a recognition that all world mystics aspire for ecstatic union, and that their outer religious label is an eggshell of something deeper.
One can be both a syncretist and universalist. But one can also be a syncretist without being a universalist.
To add to that, I also think that syncretism can be a tool to attaining a universal consciousness. For example to syncretise certain layers of world religions, while breaking the taboos of other layers from the same religions.

Nicely said...

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My expanded view on universalism and syncretization:

Often syncretists take non-conflicting beliefs from 2 or 3 systems, and may well combine them into his/her preferred way.

I agree that's syncretism. There has to be a compatibility, even an overlapping or saying the same thing differently. For example, I like the parables of Jesus because he speaks of compassion, love, non-judgmentalism, and devotion to God, when one looks past the Pauline corruptions and overthinking (and boy do I know overthinking :D) of the simple teachings of Jesus. Shakyamuni Buddha's teachings on compassion and the state of the world and suffering are not that different than Jesus's, at their cores.

But do I go to a Catholic or Eastern Orthodox church and participate in the worship? Certainly not. Would I go into a Buddhist temple if I had the opportunity to pray and chant to Shakyamuni or Tara? Sure because they are extensions and expansions of Hinduism and of Vishnu and Durga, respectively. Contrary to what many or most Buddhists say, Buddhism does not reject the validity of the Vedas http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...t-most-authoritative-writing-interesting.html and is not entirely non-theistic nor atheistic (Mahayana and Vajrayana are quite polytheistic and have Adi-Buddha, which is darn close to Brahman, as is the Tao).

But a universalist takes many, even conflicting ones, and then tries somehow to imply that both are correct.

I want to qualify that by saying a universalist takes many, or even just two, conflicting belief systems/religions, and then tries somehow to imply that both are correct at the same time in the same practice. You can't meld two systems that are mutually exclusive. Roman Catholic practice and belief does not meld with Hindu belief and practice. Non-theistic Jesuism or Jesusism could work, because there's only a stress on morality, devotion and faithfulness to God, but no rituals or the polemics of "salvation" only through Jesus; Roman Catholicism and elements of Buddhism, and Islam and elements of Buddhism, for example, could work because Buddhism stresses compassion and enlightenment. Though Buddhism on the whole is non-theistic, one still strives to be enlightened and know God in Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, Zoaroastrianism, etc. But that's not universalism if they do mesh, that's syncretization.

Universalism is the belief, from definitions I've read, that e.g. Islam is right for the Muslim; Hinduism is right for the Hindu; Judaism is right for the Jew; Buddhism is right for the Buddhist. They are all different, but are equally valid paths (I'm coming to hate that word, it's getting hackneyed) for reaching God. That is, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Baha'i Faith, Zoroastrianism, etc. are right for the adherents of those faiths. They are indeed valid religions for their adherents. A Hindu can't say that Roman Catholicism is an invalid path for a Roman Catholic. This is universalism according to this Universalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (we'll skip righ to the non-Christian faiths).

Put another way, one sort of makes sense to me, because you can sort out any confusion, whereas the other one makes no sense to me at all.

Yes agreed. The problem is that people get the two concepts confused and conflated. They are very different concepts. The former (syncretization) does work; the latter, when misapplied and misunderstood, does not work, as in the example of blending Hinduism or Buddhism with Roman Catholicism or Judaism and Roman Catholicism. That's neither universalism nor syncretization... that's a Neo-Mess.