• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal World Language

sealchan

A comment in another thread asked;

"OK, let know the Baha'i people's success for establishment of the Universal auxiliary language, please."

The response was that it was not the responsibility of just the Baha'i to implement a world auxiliary language, it is the responsibility of all people of all nations.

Esperanto was popular back in that time and many Baha'i did try to take that path and some still do, but as the governments of the world have not adopted it, there is no way that it can go global. interestingly, English has become much more of a worldly language, but it is also no good for a universal language.

In the Baha'i Faith, Bahá’u’lláh enjoins the adoption of a universal language and script. His Writings envisage two stages in this process. The first stage is to consist of the selection of an existing language or an invented one which would then be taught in all the schools of the world as an auxiliary to the mother tongues. The governments of the world through their parliaments are called upon to effect this momentous enactment. The second stage, in the distant future, would be the eventual adoption of one single language and common script for all on earth.

Esparanto was talked about by Abdul'Baha in 1913 and it can be read at this link - Bahá'í Reference Library - Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, Pages 163-166

While these allusions to Esperanto are specific and encouraging, it remains true that until the House of Justice has acted on the matter in accordance with Bahá’u’lláh’s instruction the Bahá’í Faith is not committed to Esperanto nor to any other living or artificial tongue. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá Himself said: “The love and effort put into Esperanto will not be lost, but no one person can construct a Universal Language.”—‘Abdu’l-Bahá in London, p. 95.

So which language to adopt, and whether it is to be a natural or constructed one, is a decision which the nations of the world will have to make.

So what do you think?
Do you see the benefit?
Will it happen?

Ĉu ni kiel kunigita popolo adoptos mondan lingvon - Will we as a united people adopt a world language?

Esperanto/Quick and dirty guide - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

View attachment 34145

Regards Tony

I 5hink that the ideal would be for a Universal Translater ala Star Trek that way we get a universal ability to communicate AND a diversity of language and thought and the kind of art to come from that. Besides there will always be the problem of integrating new languages if we can make a kind of inter solar system or inter galactic community of any kind.

dianaiad

Yes it it is direct consequence of those in control ignoring the Message of Baha'u'llah, plain and simple.

Luckily it will change from the grass roots. The people will bring change.

Regards Tony

People keep saying that....and hoping that....

You'd think that by now we would be seeing that, but no. Every time we see a group of people who seem to behave in a way that might bring 'world peace,' they get clobbered by everybody else.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Will it happen... . Nope.....Just more Baha'i stupidity.

Why do you think it stupid for people to be able to communicate with each other?

We are able to communicate on this forum because we speak a common language.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
There is very little on these threads that has struck me as more hypocritical than a bahai quoting biblle verses.

Really? I have more Bibles and Bible commentaries and Bible dictionaries than Bahá’í books because of my love for Jesus. I go to church with my Christian friends often as I believe in Christ.

In the entire internet you will find all Baha’i sites praise and glorify Jesus and the Bible. Because we believe Jesus is the truth and the Bible is the Word of God.

So you don’t like that we believe in Jesus and the Bible? That in itself is an anti Christian attitude. We even read from the Bible in our Houses of Worship all over the world every week. So we are not allowed to believe in Jesus and the Bible? The Word of God belongs to all humanity to share and comment on.

No one has a monopoly on the Bible. Are you really a Christian because my Christian friends love that I quote from the Bible and praise the Lord?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The response was that it was not the responsibility of just the Baha'i to implement a world auxiliary language, it is the responsibility of all people of all nations.

And that is as obviously true an answer as anything can conceivably be. Unless one is actually proposing that the Bahai Faith ought to establish some form of dictatorship that would miraculously enable it to force other people to learn such a language, but would quite ludicrous for many reasons.

Esperanto was popular back in that time and many Baha'i did try to take that path and some still do, but as the governments of the world have not adopted it, there is no way that it can go global. interestingly, English has become much more of a worldly language, but it is also no good for a universal language.

For political reasons, you mean?

(...)

So what do you think?
Do you see the benefit?

I sure do. It is clearly desirable, if not all-out a moral duty, to pursue such a goal.

Will it happen?

If we ever attain enough of a maturity level, it must.

If you regard all religions equally, then you should not have a universal language, because Yahweh will be pissed at you. Source: Genesis 11

You can hardly expect reasonable people to take scripture over common sense, so I do not understand why you say such a thing.

There is very little on these threads that has struck me as more hypocritical than a bahai quoting biblle verses.

Why would you say such a thing? Bahais go out of their way to try and validate the Bible, you know.

Jewish verses? It is all the same story, unlike your later unneeded additions.

If you say so. But it is really pointless to lend so much credence to scripture, IMO.

Just out of interest, as you have quoted from both Romans and Matthew how much of those books are corrupt. Is it just the bits that show bahai to be full of crap that are corrupted and anything that works for you is ok.. .. Is that how it works

Not being a Bahai, nonetheless I have to ask if you are aware of a better way of using scripture.

A universal language would have to be the Queens English, as spoken by cricket-playing Gentlemen.

Hardly. I love English, but what you say is simply absurd.

The world, or more precisely, aviation, shipping, international transport, international finance, government, I.e. those who need to communicate with the world have a universal language... English

But international diplomacy still uses French.

Yes, that happened and it is a step in the right direction. But not nearly enough yet.

Methinks you have a somewhat over optimistic view of the influence of 0.1% of the population.

Other religions also teach tolerance and peace. Many of those in power are members of these religions?

Yes i have a cynical view of religion. In thousands of years it has not stopped conflict (in many cases it has been instrumental in aggravating conflict)

All the same, one can hardly be blamed for wanting to promote tools for mutual understanding among people. It is a worthy goal, and one that furthers the goal of global peace.

I think it's just another Baha'i attempt at getting the world to conform to their own agenda.

It certainly is. That is what promoting a language, any language, unavoidably is.

Regardless of the merits or lack thereof of the Bahai agenda as a whole, however, some of what they promote and propose is certainly worthwhile. I definitely include the adoption of at least one language with a global reach in that category.

We all should strive to pursue certain goals of common interest even if we must part ways at other points.

For Baha'i? Yes. For me? No.
Really? Why not?

I am surprised at the outlandish, utopian ideas that Bahais harbor.

Why is English not good enough to be the first or second world language?

It may well be that it is. But there are people who will associate it to political or even religious conotations to the point of going out of their way to avoid learning it.

On a more technical level, it is just not nearly perfect. Quite a lot of arbitrary irregularity, and the correspondence between writing and pronounciation sometimes seems to have been chosen with the tongue in cheek. There is definitely room for improvement.

What Abdul Baha said takes out Esperanto from the equation. Why are you trying to propagate it?
'Abdu’l-Bahá Himself': Perhaps that is incorrect English these days.

These are the most widely spoken languages in the world. You can choose one of them.
Mandarin Chinese (1.1 billion), English (983 million), Hindustani (544 million), Spanish (527 million), Arabic (422 million).
Google Search
World language - Wikipedia (Total Speakers)
English (1.5 billion), Chines Mandarin (1.2 billion), Hindustani (697 million, including Urdu), Spanish (577 million), Arabic (570 million, including dialects).

Hindi and Urdu, collectively known as Hindustani, are an interesting study case. If nothing else, they are living evidence of some significant cultural barriers for the universal adoption of a language.

As I understand it, they are literally the same language far as actual speech goes, although the writing systems are very much different from each other (Urdu based on Persian and Arabic, Hindi on Sanskrit) and some of the vocabulary and style changes as well.

Quite literally, they are different languages because their communities want them to be.

As you probably know or can guess, I can understand that to a point. There are certain cultural trends that I see as very much worth resisting, not least among those submission to the expectations of Certain Groups That Value Arabic. That just Will Not Do, far as I am concerned.

On the other hand, there is undeniable practical benefit in having some ability to understand each other even if it is just to tell the other to give up on converting us.

Realistically, it is hard enough even today to teach even a single writing system to enough people.

Even today, well over ten percent of people worldwide are illiterate, and that alone harms their prospects for full integration into society something fierce. Despite the encouraging fact that literacy rates are actually improving worldwide (in very unequall ways), the absolute number of illiterates keeps increasing. That does not bode well to their prospects in life.

That may be a reason to pursue literacy in and of itself, or it may be a reason to pursue literacy in a hopefully widely accepted language that may ease access to wider education and integration. But it sure indicates that it will have to be a deliberate, conscious effort either way. Literacy does not happen spontaneously to any significant degree.

Literacy - Wikipedia

I think that you should watch over the next century to see what happens to block character like what short alphabets use. A lot of effort has gone into making the computers support multiple character sets. Some scripts do not lend themselves to small, rectangular, regular type. To properly fit irregular characters together requires software that solves a math problem called the "minimum weight perfect matching problem in bipartite graphs." Its not simple for programs. You have to program the software to move the letters around, since they fit into each other. For that you need full graphics, so you can't easily get some languages on calculators and many other devices. Block characters are easier to implement.

N. Americans long ago used Sign for continental communication independent of spoken language. I think sign language is a fine idea, and though you can't write it on paper there are ways around that. Computing tech might make that irrelevant. We don't know, yet. Writing sign language is difficult, but having a computer record it is easy. Recently someone has invented gloves which can translate sign into spoken language. If it can be done with gloves then it can be done with cameras. If it can be done with cameras, then it can be represented on screen. The impediment of writing it down disappears. In a society with lots of computers you can have sign as your international language with computers as the scribes. There is no sound involved, and the meaning of the signs may not drift like they do with spoken words.

What you might do is try to build a permanent sign language based on Chinese but not require learning Chinese characters. Instead people could communicate using sign on paper, written with the assistance of smart phones or other camera devices. The charm would be that people could retain our spoken and written languages, and at the same time we might get a permanent language for legal documents, laws and records.

That sure sounds appealling. I understand that at some point we will pretty much have to accept that this is the best practical solution.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, that happened and it is a step in the right direction. But not nearly enough yet.

Considering the general lack of will to promote a global language (most educational systems don't have the resources to add another subject to their curriculum). I think, for the moment, its as good as it gets.

All the same, one can hardly be blamed for wanting to promote tools for mutual understanding among people. It is a worthy goal, and one that furthers the goal of global peace.

In theory, yes, but i dont often see it.

whirlingmerc

A comment in another thread asked;

"OK, let know the Baha'i people's success for establishment of the Universal auxiliary language, please."

In the Baha'i Faith, Bahá’u’lláh enjoins the adoption of a universal language and script. His Writings envisage two stages in this process. The first stage is to consist of the selection of an existing language or an invented one which would then be taught in all the schools of the world as an auxiliary to the mother tongues. The governments of the world through their parliaments are called upon to effect this momentous enactment. The second stage, in the distant future, would be the eventual adoption of one single language and common script for all on earth.

Esparanto was talked about by Abdul'Baha in 1913 and it can be read at this link - Bahá'í Reference Library - Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, Pages 163-166

While these allusions to Esperanto are specific and encouraging, it remains true that until the House of Justice has acted on the matter in accordance with Bahá’u’lláh’s instruction the Bahá’í Faith is not committed to Esperanto nor to any other living or artificial tongue. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá Himself said: “The love and effort put into Esperanto will not be lost, but no one person can construct a Universal Language.”—‘Abdu’l-Bahá in London, p. 95.

So which language to adopt, and whether it is to be a natural or constructed one, is a decision which the nations of the world will have to make.

So what do you think?
Do you see the benefit?
Will it happen?

Ĉu ni kiel kunigita popolo adoptos mondan lingvon - Will we as a united people adopt a world language?

Esperanto/Quick and dirty guide - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

View attachment 34145

Regards Tony

I think it's still a hard sell. The most popular business languages today are Chinese, English, Spanish those will be hard to replace practically speaking.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is no reason to promote one language. It is computer age, and translation facilities are available. Tomorrow perhaps we will have spectacles which would translate from what is spoken in Spanish into English or even Hindi. Let people be happy with their own languages. We do not really want a Bahai dictatorship.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Methinks you have a somewhat over optimistic view of the influence of 0.1% of the population.

Other religions also teach tolerance and peace. Many of those in power are members of these religions?

Yes i have a cynical view of religion. In thousands of years it has not stopped conflict (in many cases it has been instrumental in aggravating conflict)

Yes those in power need to accept that we are one human race, it is that simple, there is no peace without it, there is no right faith that does not practice it.

Thus It is a simple answer, with a very complex methodology, that we create. The simplicity is our oneness, to which science points towards, but we can not accept, as some humans want power and are greedy for all thing that satisfy themselves.

Everything about that oneness leads to progress. A universal auxiliary language to be spoken bu us all, will also help.

I wish you health and happiness, regards Tony

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Saluton Tony! Mi scias iomete Esperanton!

Bonvolu mesaĝas min?

Well done to you.

I know no other language but my native tongue. I tried to pick up Solomon Island Lingo when I lived there, but it was never a path I have found easy, that is of learning other languages.

Then life kept me busy and I never have gone beyond English.

The time will come when an auxiliary language is chosen, it will be a great day when it is, as it is a sign given in my faith that mankind has reached maturity.

Google, dume, havas esperantan tradukon, kiel ĉiuj aliaj, ĝi ne bonas

Regards Tony

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes those in power need to accept that we are one human race, it is that simple, there is no peace without it, there is no faith right that does not practice it.

Thus It is a simple answer, with a very complex methodology, that we create. The simplicity is our oneness, to which science points towards, but we can not accept, as some humans want power and are greedy for all thing that satisfy themselves.

Everything about that oneness leads to progress. A universal auxiliary language to be spoken bu us all, will also help.

I wish you health and happiness, regards Tony

Nice idea but only one problem, its not profitable. The world is too fragmented, too many diffeent nations each looking out for themselves.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Well done to you.

I know no other language but my native tongue. I tried to pick up Solomon Island Lingo when I lived there, but it was never a path I have found easy, that is of learning other languages.

Then life kept me busy and I never have gone beyond English.

The time will come when an auxiliary language is chosen, it will be a great day when it is, as it is a sign given in my faith that mankind has reached maturity.

Google, dume, havas esperantan tradukon, kiel ĉiuj aliaj, ĝi ne bonas

Regards Tony
Vi devas lerni :)

Learn a language for free

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it's just another Baha'i attempt at getting the world to conform to their own agenda. For Baha'i? Yes. For me? No.I don't know. I lack Baha'u'llah's fortune telling skills. But if it does happen... ...Iway inkthay ethay universalway orldway anguagelay ouldshay ebay
Igpay Atinlay...ecausebay it'sway unfay. (I think the universal world language should be Pig Latin...because it's fun.)

Then for you it is a time will tell if the world does adopt such a logical beneficial initiative.

This is a SBS new item about how foreign language teachers are pushing for new strategies as Australia is falling behind in language teaching - Foreign-language teachers push for new strategy

Thus it is already seen that language is a big barrier to porgress, thus the wisdom of an auxillary language it starting t permeate the mid of man, it will happen.

Baha'i do not need to push it, it is part of who we now are. We have to embrace our oneness, or of course, continue the way we are.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am surprised at the outlandish, utopian ideas that Bahais harbor.

Why is English not good enough to be the first or second world language? What Abdul Baha said takes out Esperanto from the equation. Why are you trying to propagate it?
'Abdu’l-Bahá Himself': Perhaps that is incorrect English these days.

These are the most widely spoken languages in the world. You can choose one of them.
Mandarin Chinese (1.1 billion), English (983 million), Hindustani (544 million), Spanish (527 million), Arabic (422 million).
Google Search
World language - Wikipedia (Total Speakers)
English (1.5 billion), Chines Mandarin (1.2 billion), Hindustani (697 million, including Urdu), Spanish (577 million), Arabic (570 million, including dialects).

My guess we will need the future to decide why it is a good idea.

So far after firing up the computer this morning, to date one positive return :)

All our current languages lack, Arabic I am told is a great language, but very difficult to master. English has too many stupid rules that do not work, too many words the same. Like i before e except after c, but no always???

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that you should watch over the next century to see what happens to block character like what short alphabets use. A lot of effort has gone into making the computers support multiple character sets. Some scripts do not lend themselves to small, rectangular, regular type. To properly fit irregular characters together requires software that solves a math problem called the "minimum weight perfect matching problem in bipartite graphs." Its not simple for programs. You have to program the software to move the letters around, since they fit into each other. For that you need full graphics, so you can't easily get some languages on calculators and many other devices. Block characters are easier to implement.

N. Americans long ago used Sign for continental communication independent of spoken language. I think sign language is a fine idea, and though you can't write it on paper there are ways around that. Computing tech might make that irrelevant. We don't know, yet. Writing sign language is difficult, but having a computer record it is easy. Recently someone has invented gloves which can translate sign into spoken language. If it can be done with gloves then it can be done with cameras. If it can be done with cameras, then it can be represented on screen. The impediment of writing it down disappears. In a society with lots of computers you can have sign as your international language with computers as the scribes. There is no sound involved, and the meaning of the signs may not drift like they do with spoken words.

What you might do is try to build a permanent sign language based on Chinese but not require learning Chinese characters. Instead people could communicate using sign on paper, written with the assistance of smart phones or other camera devices. The charm would be that people could retain our spoken and written languages, and at the same time we might get a permanent language for legal documents, laws and records.

Thank you for a positive reply and looking into the possibilities of what might need to be done. Many are saying on other forums I have been on that computer binary code is a possibility to be built upon.

The point of this thread is to say in this matter, that the Baha'i do not have the answer, but they have a prophecy that says humanity will move towards and eventually adopt an auxiliary language, It is said at that time we will also find our unity and science will explode into a cascade of knowledge. There is a 3rd sign, but can not remember off hand.

In the end it may only be because the need for it was found, and not from any spiritual aspiration.

P/S I looked up the 3 signs just for interest

1) The first sign of the coming of age of humanity referred to in the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh is the emergence of a science which is described as that “divine philosophy” which will include the discovery of a radical approach to the transmutation of elements.
2)Concerning the “second” sign which Bahá’u’lláh indicates to have been revealed in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Shoghi Effendi states that Bahá’u’lláh, “…in His Most Holy Book, has enjoined the selection of a single language and the adoption of a common script for all on earth to use, an injunction which, when carried out, would, as He Himself affirms in that Book, be one of the signs of the ‘coming of age of the human race.."
3) One of the signs of the maturity of the world is that no one will accept to bear the weight of kingship. Kingship will remain with none willing to bear alone its weight. That day will be the day whereon wisdom will be manifested among mankind.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I 5hink that the ideal would be for a Universal Translater ala Star Trek that way we get a universal ability to communicate AND a diversity of language and thought and the kind of art to come from that. Besides there will always be the problem of integrating new languages if we can make a kind of inter solar system or inter galactic community of any kind.

It may be if mankind put their minds together to consider and put together an auxiliary language, what results from that may be a language that will cross time and space as well. It may give different ways of thinking about technology.

It is a lot bigger than many have even considered, we are not alone :)

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is no reason to promote one language. It is computer age, and translation facilities are available. Tomorrow perhaps we will have spectacles which would translate from what is spoken in Spanish into English or even Hindi. Let people be happy with their own languages. We do not really want a Bahai dictatorship.

The translation are not good when using Google translate. If they had done it 200 years ago we would all be speaking the same language and our native tongue.

Regards Tony

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People keep saying that....and hoping that....

You'd think that by now we would be seeing that, but no. Every time we see a group of people who seem to behave in a way that might bring 'world peace,' they get clobbered by everybody else.

I can see why it appears that way, but if one studies the message given by Baha'u'llah, one can soon see that all the highest aspirations of any person or people, that can and will lead to a lasting peace and a bond of people and nations, is already expounded in the writings of Baha'u'llah.

It is the ebb and flow of life, it is the organic process which we are all part of. As soon as we cement our oneness in mind, the sooner the tree of life will once again bear and give its fruit.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it's still a hard sell. The most popular business languages today are Chinese, English, Spanish those will be hard to replace practically speaking.

In the end I do not see it will need to be sold, I see it will become the obvious way to go and will be embraced.

When and after how much more suffering?

Regards Tony