• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal Sufism

Trey of Diamonds

Anyone here familiar with or practicing Universal Sufism? I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Universal Sufism is a spiritual and universalist movement founded by Hazrat Inayat Khan in the early 20th century. The philosophy of Universal Sufism is based on unity of all people and religions, and the presence of spiritual guidance in all people, places and things.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I have read Thinking Like the Universe: The Sufi Path of Awakening by Pir Villayat Inayat Khan.
It was a flowing read, and the discussion of the sages, teachers, and figures of our history (or mythology?) was very interesting, I liked his take on Melchizedek.

I do believe that anyone who has a seed of interest in Sufism owes it to themselves to read Rumi, Hafiz..

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The book im talking about? it is Universal Sufism :) read the name of the author again ;)
he was the eldest son of Hazrat Inayat Khan

Trey of Diamonds

Ah, found it finally. The info on Amazon didn't mention Universal Sufism and even after you mentioned it and I went searching it took awhile to connect the name to the religion. Thanks, I'll move this book up a few notches on my wish list. :D

Trey of Diamonds

On the surface, Universal Sufism looks like a combination of Sufism and Hinduism, or is that simplifing it too much?

From the website Sufi Order International

History

Hazrat Khwaja Abu Ishaq Shami (“the Syrian”) (d. 941 C.E.) brought Sufism to the town of Chisht, some 95 miles east of Herat in present-day Afghanistan. Before returning to the Levant, Shami initiated, trained, and deputized the son of the local Amir, Khwaja Abu Ahmad Abdal (d. 966). Under the leadership of Khwaja Abu Ahmad’s descendants, the Chishtiyya flourished as a regional mystical order specializing in sama’, ritual music and moving meditation.

Early in the 13th century, Hazrat Khwaja Mu‘inuddin Hasan Sanjari (d. 1229) and his disciples introduced a branch of the Chishtiyya in the Indian Subcontinent. Khwaja Mu‘inuddin’s ethos was: “Generosity like a river, affection like the sun, humility like the earth.” Remembered as “Gharib-nawaz,” “the Helper of the Poor,”' his legacy is such that today hundreds of thousands of pilgrims, of all castes and creeds, flock to his tomb in Ajmer for the annual ‘urs festival.

Khwaja Mu‘inuddin’s successor, Khwaja Qutbuddin Bakhtiyar Kaki (d. 1235), expired after a mystical couplet sent him into a swoon of ecstasy. He was succeeded by Khwaja Fariduddin Mas‘ud (d. 1265), whose elegant verses grace the pages of the Sikh holy book, the Guru Granth Sahib. Khwaja Fariduddin’s successor, Khwaja Nizamuddin Awliya’(d. 1325)—remembered as “Mahbub-i Ilahi,” “Beloved of God”—presided over an era of florescence, when the Chishti message spread throughout the Subcontinent. The death of his successor, Khwaja Nasiruddin Mahmud, the “Lamp of Delhi” (d. 1356), who was buried with the sacred relics of office, closed a glorious chapter.

The initiatic tree of the Chishtiyya sprouted many branches and shoots. The lineage of Khwaja Nizam al-Din (the Nizamiyya) was paralleled by the lineage of Khwaja ‘Ala al-Din ‘Ali Sabir (the Sabiriyya). Our lineage is traced to Khwaja Nasir al-Din through his nephew Shaykh Kamal al-Din ‘Allama (d. 1355), whose descendants established a mystical institution in Gujarat that continues to this day. Among these descendants was Shaykh Muhammad Chishti (d. 1630), who attained the cosmic initiations of Qutb (Axis) and Mahbub (Beloved) at the dawn of the second Hijri millennium.

In Medina, Shaykh Muhammad’s grandson Shaykh Yahya Madani (d. 1689) deputized Shah Kalim Allah (d. 1729), who came from the family of architects that designed the Taj Mahal. Shah Kalim Allah later composed the meditation manual Kashkul-i Kalimi, which documents the technical repertory of the Chishtiyya, a sophisticated combination of Arabic ritual formulae, Central Asian subtle physiology theory, and hathayogic body techniques.

Shah Kalim Allah established a school in Delhi that flourished under the leadership of the descendants of his successor Shah Nizam al-Din (d. 1730), until it was displaced in the aftermath of the ill-fated Revolt of 1857, when the Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar—a disciple of Shah Nizam al-Din’s great grandson Kale Miyan—was exiled to Rangoon.

Just before the Revolt, a premonition prompted Kale Miyan’s successor Shaykh Muhammad Hasan Jili Kalimi to take his family to Hyderabad. There he deputized Sayyid Abu Hashim Madani, who became the Murshid (teacher) of Hazrat Inayat Khan.

Hazrat Inayat Khan’s own memories of his Murshid, beginning with the first encounter, are recorded in his Confessions:

After a time of suspense the Pir-o-Murshid entered, bringing with him a very great sense of light. As all those present greeted him, bowing down in their humility, it seemed to me all at once that I had seen him before, but where I could not recall. At last, after gazing at him earnestly, I remembered that his was the face which so persistently haunted me during my silence. The proof of this was manifested as soon as his eyes fell on me.

He turned to his host, saying, “O Mawlana, tell me who this young man may be? He appeals intensely to my spirit.”

Mawlana Khayr al-Mubin answered, “Your holiness, this young man is a genius in music, and he desires greatly to submit himself to your inspiring guidance.”
Then the Master smiled and granted the request, initiating me into Sufism there and then.

Muhammad Abu Hashim Madani belonged to a distinguished family of Medina, and was a direct descendant of the Holy Prophet. My joy in him was so great that it found its expression in poetry and music. I had at last found my pearl among men, my guide, my treasure, and beacon of hope. I composed a song and sang it to him and this, I feel certain, has brought me all my success and will aid me in my future life. And thus was my song:
Thou art my salvation and freedom is mine,
I am not, I melt as a pearl in sweet wine!
My heart, soul, and self, yea, all these are thine;
O Lord I have no more to offer!
I drink of the nectar of truth the divine,
As Moses thy word, as Yusuf they shine
who walk in thy ways; and Christ is thy sign:
Thou raisest to life everlasting! Thou art as Muhammad to them that repine,
My spirit is purged as the gold from a mine!
I only know that my heart beats with thine,
And joys in boundless freedom!
My Murshid greatly appreciated this outburst of love on my part and exclaimed in deep emotion, “Be thou blessed with Divine Light and illuminate the beloved ones of Allah!”

From this time a spiritual attachment between myself and my Murshid was firmly established, and as it grew more and more it opened up in me the ways of light through my attachment to that Inner Radiance, which can never be gained through discussion or argument, reading, writing, nor mystical exercises.

I visited him at the expense of all my affairs whenever I felt his call, receiving rays of his ecstasy with bent head, and listening to all he said without doubt or fear. Thus the firm faith and confidence I brought to bear upon my meditations prepared me to absorb the Light of the World Unseen.

I studied the Qur'an, Hadith, and the literature of the Persian mystics. I cultivated my inner senses, and underwent periods of clairvoyance, clairaudience, intuition, inspiration, impressions, dreams, and visions. I also made experiments in communicating with the living and the dead. I delved into the occult and psychic sides of mysticism, as well as realizing the benefits of piety, morality, and bhakti (or devotion). The more I progressed in their pursuit, the more unlearned I seemed, as there was always more and more to understand and acquire. Of all that I comprehended and experienced I valued most that Divine Wisdom which alone is the essence of all that is best and attainable, and which leads us on from the Finite World unto Infinitudes of Bliss.

After receiving instruction in the five different grades of Sufism, the physical, intellectual, mental, moral, and spiritual, I went through a course of training in the four schools: the Chishtiyya, Naqshibandiyya, Qadiriyya, and Suhrwardiyya. I still recall this period, under the guidance of so great and merciful a Murshid, as the most beautiful time of my life. In him I saw every rare quality, while his unassuming nature and his fine modesty could hardly be equaled even among the highest mystics of the world. He combined within himself the intense spell of ecstasy and constant flow of inspiration with the very soul of spiritual independence. Although I had found most wonderful attributes among the mystics I had met, some in greater and some in lesser degrees, I had never until then beheld the balance of all that was good and desirable in one man.

His death was as saintly as his mortal life had been. Six months before his end he predicted its coming and wound up all his worldly affairs in order to be freed for his future journey. "Death is a chain which unites friend with friend unto the Beyond."

He apologized not only to his relatives, friends, and mureeds, but even to his servants, lest there might be aught that he had done to their displeasure and hurt. Ere the soul departed from his body, he bade farewell to all his people with loving words. And then, sitting upright and unwavering, he continued zikr, and lost in his contemplation of Allah, he, by his own accord, freed his soul from the imprisonment of this mortal frame forever.

I can never forget the words he spoke, while he placed his hands upon my head in blessing, "Fare forth into the world, my child, and harmonize the East and the West with the harmony of thy music. Spread the wisdom of Sufism abroad, for to this end art thou gifted by Allah, the most Merciful and Compassionate."

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Anyone here familiar with or practicing Universal Sufism? I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.
Greetings. Universal Sufism looks to be very worthwhile reading with these kinds of goals from its founder:

Hazrat Inayat Khan set forth three goals that he hoped Universal Sufis would strive to achieve. These are as follows:
  • To realize and spread the knowledge of Unity, the religion of Love, and Wisdom, so that the biases and prejudices of faiths and beliefs may, of themselves, fall away, the human heart overflow with love, and all hatred caused by distinctions and differences be rooted out.
  • To discover the light and power latent in Humanity, the secret of all Religion, the power of Mysticism, and the essence of Philosophy, without interfering with customs and beliefs.
  • To help to bring the world's two opposite poles, East and West, close together by the interchange of thought and ideals; that the Universal Family may form of itself, and people meet with people beyond the narrow national and racial boundaries
Information in Wiki indicates panentheistic. 'Hazrat Inayat Khan termed God as Nur-Zahoor (light made manifest), he said that this universe is nothing but a manifestation of the divine.' There is much free information at this site:
Brief Bio of Hazrat Inayat Khan

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend MochaRadha,

Welcome to RF!
Best Wishes.

Personal understanding is that Sufism is totally about the spiritual development of humans and not much attention is paid to other aspects of life.

Love & rgds

apophenia

Don't know if it's considered 'universal' sufism or not, but Conference of the Birds (a.k.a. Parliament of the Birds) by Farad'n Attar is excellent. It discusses all the reasons various birds don't want to take a spiritual journey to meet the Simurgh (Garuda).

apophenia

Come to think of it, my all time favourite sufi book is "Learning How To Learn" by Idries Shah. If you haven't already read it, do yourself a favor as they say. It is unlike anything generally referred to as spiritual literature. A masterpiece. It is primarily a psychological analysis of students of the path.

no-body

I don't see Universal Sufism as a religion per se. When described it sounds almost exactly like Unitarian Universalism. I don't have much to add except the writings of Hazrat Inayat Khan are good mystical reading.

fenrisx

what does universal sufism say about homosexuality ,womens rights and alcohal

I would likely be considered a Universal Sufi, and to answer your question,

womens rights: I know of several senior female guides within the order

alcohol and homosexuality are left to the privacy of the individual.

fenrisx

I don't see Universal Sufism as a religion per se. When described it sounds almost exactly like Unitarian Universalism. I don't have much to add except the writings of Hazrat Inayat Khan are good mystical reading.

They are an offshoot of the Chisti Sufi Lineage and the connection is there, just to clarify, the way Murshid put it was the order is open to all faiths.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Design or Coincidence both Idries Shah and Inayat Khan were born in India!

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend fenrisx,

It was his grandson who initiated me, that being Murshid, Hazrat inayat Khan.
Could you then discuss the path in more details.
Where does everyone meet and what are the common activities to pursue the path besides of course how the individual follows or walks the path??

Love & rgds

fenrisx

Friend fenrisx,

Could you then discuss the path in more details.
Where does everyone meet and what are the common activities to pursue the path besides of course how the individual follows or walks the path??

Love & rgds

actually it can be very eccelctic. The main community is the Abode of the Message, in Ny, some live there, some dont. I meet with a study group in MAss, where we do what I consider the equilant of sufi bible study in that we follow a guided theme of study based on Murshid's teachings. Plus prayer and meditation.

Other examples are a Sema, the sufi whirling meditation, dancing if you will, but whirling meditation while someone drums. I actually find a smiliarity to buddhist kinhin mediation.

There are summer gatherings at the adobe, with a variety of activities and there was a great concert there I attended in 2007.

What else can I answer for you?