• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal religious sexual taboos... How stupid can one be?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think there may be weed in your thinking.

I believe God helps us to understand what is best for us because He loves us.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Here is a quote regarding cohabitation:."Many couples of the opposite sex live together without the commitment of marriage. Such unions, however, are even “less stable than marriages,” notes a report by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Some of these couples cohabit in order to assess their compatibility prior to marriage. Does such an arrangement eliminate poor matches and improve subsequent marriages? According to the Journal of Marriage and Family, the evidence indicates otherwise. “Among married individuals, premarital cohabitation is related to lower marital satisfaction . . . , more reports of marital problems, and . . . a higher risk of marital dissolution,” says the Journal." g7/06 p. 6. I believe our Creator knows what is best for us, and he forbids sex outside of marriage. (1 Corinthians 7:2)
For every 'study' you find there are other 'studies' done by 'scientists' which will argue in favor of the benefits of lifestyles your God considers inappropriate and immoral. This leaves people with the 'freedom' to do what those who worship their own minds and their own understanding wanted to do in the first place, which is to make the determination for themselves based on their own understanding ....arguably with a heart corrupted by evil desires. All hail the priesthood of the men in white labcoats

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
For every study you find there are other 'studies' done by 'scientists' which will argue in favor of the benefits of lifestyles your God considers inappropriate and immoral. This leaves people with the 'freedom' to do what those who worship their own minds and their own understanding wanted to do in the first place, which is to make the determination for themselves based on their own understanding ....arguably with a heart corrupted by evil desires. All hail the priesthood of the men in white labcoats
sadly for the both of you is the fact that it is not the false dichotomy you would like it to be.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Here is a quote regarding cohabitation:."Many couples of the opposite sex live together without the commitment of marriage. Such unions, however, are even “less stable than marriages,” notes a report by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Some of these couples cohabit in order to assess their compatibility prior to marriage. Does such an arrangement eliminate poor matches and improve subsequent marriages? According to the Journal of Marriage and Family, the evidence indicates otherwise. “Among married individuals, premarital cohabitation is related to lower marital satisfaction . . . , more reports of marital problems, and . . . a higher risk of marital dissolution,” says the Journal." g7/06 p. 6. I believe our Creator knows what is best for us, and he forbids sex outside of marriage. (1 Corinthians 7:2)
Very interesting article though. I'll have to look more into that.

rusra02

Premium Member
what you believe can't possibly stand for a simple reason. If you believe that we inherited sinfulness and the inclination of our hearts is to do what is bad, than why would i do good things?
I completely reject god and all he represents.
Basically i'm embracing satan in your view, plus i have inherited sinfulness and my heart has the inclination to do what is bad.
Yet i dont indulge in homosexual sex. neither i kill or steal. nor i do drugs and other things. I'm actually compassioned probably more compassioante than you cause i won't judge and condamn people according to my own moral standards while you apparently do.
I should be the most doomed and wicked person on earth. Why am i not? No praise can be given to god in my case cause i totally reject him, i don't feel inspired by him or guided by him.

I commend you for your high moral standards. It is difficult to do what is good in this world where so much badness is present. Whether you acknowledge God or not, to some degree your moral standards are a reflexion of the conscience God endowed each one of us. Further, since man was created in God's image, I believe we have been given the capacity for love, justice, and righteousness that God himself displays to the ultimate degree. The Bible explains that our God-given conscience moves us to act morally, even if we do not know God. (Romans 2:14,15)

cambridge79

I commend you for your high moral standards. It is difficult to do what is good in this world where so much badness is present. Whether you acknowledge God or not, to some degree your moral standards are a reflexion of the conscience God endowed each one of us. Further, since man was created in God's image, I believe we have been given the capacity for love, justice, and righteousness that God himself displays to the ultimate degree. The Bible explains that our God-given conscience moves us to act morally, even if we do not know God. (Romans 2:14,15)

so basically we go back to the usual "whatever is good praise the lord, whatever is bad, is our fault?"

isn't this a bit biased view at best?

rusra02

Premium Member
so basically we go back to the usual "whatever is good praise the lord, whatever is bad, is our fault?"

isn't this a bit biased view at best?
Not at all. I have no doubt Jehovah is righteous, mankind is not. That is a sad fact, as the daily news attest. Deuteronomy 32:4-6 explains: "The Rock, perfect is his activity, For all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness who is never unjust; Righteous and upright is he. They are the ones who have acted corruptly.They are not his children, the defect is their own.They are a crooked and twisted generation! Is this the way that you should treat Jehovah,O foolish and unwise people? Is he not your Father who caused your existence,The One who made you and firmly established you?"

Kirran

Premium Member
My parents are basically cohabiting, you could say. They've been together for 20-something years, but have never felt the need to get married.

What harm this does, I do not see.

cambridge79

Not at all. I have no doubt Jehovah is righteous, mankind is not. That is a sad fact, as the daily news attest. Deuteronomy 32:4-6 explains: "The Rock, perfect is his activity, For all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness who is never unjust; Righteous and upright is he. They are the ones who have acted corruptly.They are not his children, the defect is their own.They are a crooked and twisted generation! Is this the way that you should treat Jehovah,O foolish and unwise people? Is he not your Father who caused your existence,The One who made you and firmly established you?"

Jehovah is righteous, mankind is not. Yet mankind is a product of Jehovah.
i mean in the world i live in if an engineer produces a car, that car is flawed and kills who is driving it, the engineer will end up in jail cause he is considered responsable.
why Jehovah the righteous wouldn't be responsable for his own creation?

Kelly of the Phoenix

I'm talking about who the children belong to not the women - not sure where your ownership statement comes from. Like I said, I wouldn't have too much of a problem if it was opened up. I don't believe it works out all that well the other way round but people are free to try it (if it were my country with my laws). Like i said it will be self-selecting, and it will end up with far more men with multiple wives than the other way around.
But why should it matter whose it is? It's not like men never adopt because they insist their sperm created the kid. Family is more than that.

God also said holy people don't have sex period. I'm a virgin, so I guess I'm good ...

Sex within marriage is only about control anyway (see above for ownership discussions).

My parents are basically cohabiting, you could say. They've been together for 20-something years, but have never felt the need to get married.

What harm this does, I do not see.
An internet friend from England cohabited with his partner. Now he's dead, and they refuse to let her have access to any pension or anything because they weren't officially married. Right or wrong, the law will ensure you get salt rubbed into your wounds if you aren't married.

Kirran

Premium Member
An internet friend from England cohabited with his partner. Now he's dead, and they refuse to let her have access to any pension or anything because they weren't officially married. Right or wrong, the law will ensure you get salt rubbed into your wounds if you aren't married.

This is why my parents are hoping for civil partnerships for opposite-sex couples.

rusra02

Premium Member
Jehovah is righteous, mankind is not. Yet mankind is a product of Jehovah.
i mean in the world i live in if an engineer produces a car, that car is flawed and kills who is driving it, the engineer will end up in jail cause he is considered responsable.
why Jehovah the righteous wouldn't be responsable for his own creation?
Jehovah created man perfect in mind and body. I believe God gave Adam and all his intelligent creatures the gift of free will. It was Eve, Adam, and Satan's bad choices that led to all the trouble we are in today, IMO. It was their choice to sin and rebel against their Creator. As the Scripture says, 'they are not his children, the defect is theirs.'

Thanda

But why should it matter whose it is? It's not like men never adopt because they insist their sperm created the kid. Family is more than that.

No Idea. It's just something human about us. We like to know which of the children has our genes. Often the children with our genes have sinilar habits, strengths and weaknesses as their parent. Each parent enjoys the opportunity to help their child overcome those the way they did.

But like I said, it isn't about what should or shouldn't happen. These things are self-selecting. If you open it up, I assure you there will be for more polygynous than polandrous relationship.

cambridge79

Jehovah created man perfect in mind and body. I believe God gave Adam and all his intelligent creatures the gift of free will. It was Eve, Adam, and Satan's bad choices that led to all the trouble we are in today, IMO. It was their choice to sin and rebel against their Creator. As the Scripture says, 'they are not his children, the defect is theirs.'

if eve and adam were perfect they couldn't end up making a bad choice. even more considering that bad choice we're still paying for today.