• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal health care would be a good thing

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
illegal immigrants pay taxes.
Income taxes? Let's get real. Illegal immigrants would have to use a false social security number to do this. Perhaps their children are American citizens and have legal SS numbers.

More than likely, they are not in the top 50% of wage earners who pay 97% of the taxes. More than likely they get an earned income credit for being the head of household and recieve every dime they paid in all year back to them plus additional money.

This is income redistribution plain and simple.

When one person in five (top 20%) pays for 4 out of 5's insurance premiums (80% of the taxes), this is going to shift the burden of 4 people on just one person. I guess that is considered fair.

I don't know how you can say what a system will cost when you allow everyone to participate and you cannot define who everyone is or how many people that will be.

These additional people are not going to pay their fair share unless you think it is fair that the bottom 50% of wage earners should only pick up 3% of the tab.

What if a billion people enter the country and refuse to work because they are too sick. Then if you work for minimum wage, you will be in the top 20% of wage earners and will need to pay over half of your income to the NHP. Sound fair now?

How can one more person go to see the doctor who has no additional appointments and not affect someone else's wait time?

Ever been to McDonald's at lunch time? I guess you get your meal in the same amount of time then as you do in the afternoon when no one is standing in line, right?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Income taxes? Let's get real. Illegal immigrants would have to use a false social security number to do this.
What, an illegal immigrant with a false social security number? That would never happen! The fact is, illegal immigrants pay taxes all the time, and often are not eligible for the benefits.
Illegal Immigrants File Income Tax Forms
Illegal immigrants paying taxes as example of good citizenship | The San Diego Union-Tribune
More illegal immigrants are rushing to file taxes - The Boston Globe

For example, if we had universal health coverage paid by fees from employees and employers, any on the books immigrant workers would have to pay in, but would not be covered or receive benefits.

More than likely, they are not in the top 50% of wage earners who pay 97% of the taxes. More than likely they get an earned income credit for being the head of household and recieve every dime they paid in all year back to them plus additional money.
No, they're not eligible for EITC.

This is income redistribution plain and simple.

When one person in five (top 20%) pays for 4 out of 5's insurance premiums (80% of the taxes), this is going to shift the burden of 4 people on just one person. I guess that is considered fair.
Red herring. This thread is about health coverage, not income tax.

I don't know how you can say what a system will cost when you allow everyone to participate and you cannot define who everyone is or how many people that will be.
Who says I can't define it. It certainly wouldn't include illegal immigrants. btw, we're paying for their expensive emergency coverage now.

These additional people are not going to pay their fair share unless you think it is fair that the bottom 50% of wage earners should only pick up 3% of the tab.
Payment can be arranged various way. It can be employment based or tax based or a combination of both.

What if a billion people enter the country and refuse to work because they are too sick. Then if you work for minimum wage, you will be in the top 20% of wage earners and will need to pay over half of your income to the NHP. Sound fair now?
Sorry, didn't understand this question. Basically, we don't have to cover illegal immigrants, so it's not a problem.

How can one more person go to see the doctor who has no additional appointments and not affect someone else's wait time?
Let me explain. Suppose I'm 50 and worried about my overall health and have good coverage. I get a physical, possibly by a Medical Assistant or Nurse Practitioner, find our my cholesterol and blood pressure, learn about diet and exercise, maybe get some medication and advice, and avoid a heart attack. My entire contact with the medical system: 1 hour, cost $200. If I don't have coverage, I have a heart attack, go to the emergency room, am hospitalized, have a bypass operation, total cost maybe $100,000 and either (1) I pay for it and go bankrupt or (2) Rick pays for it. What I'm saying is that it's better for you and me, Rick, for all of us to pay fo$200, than for some of us, including you, to pay $100,000.

Ever been to McDonald's at lunch time? I guess you get your meal in the same amount of time then as you do in the afternoon when no one is standing in line, right?
Not comparable. We all have to eat. We don't all have to have preventable heart attacks.