• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Universal Force

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Is the universe static or dynamic?

Both according to physics, I am pretty sure there are both Static and Dynamic properties. Where the tricky distinctions lie, comes from assesing movement relative to the scale of something, movement seems to be relative to the observer, and size of objects being measured.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, time is part of spacetime, which is the substrate of the universe. So, if we take the universe as a whole (all of spacetime), it could be considered to be static: it just is.

On the other hand, since time is part of the universe, we can also look at cross sections for different times and things change between those cross sections, so it is dynamic in that sense.

Sort of like asking if a sphere is static because it is just there or dynamic because cross sections parallel to the floor are different at different heights.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Both according to physics, I am pretty sure there are both Static and Dynamic properties. Where the tricky distinctions lie, comes from assesing movement relative to the scale of something, movement seems to be relative to the observer, and size of objects being measured.
But if it is the Absolute what is it's reliance measured against?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Yay! I've been waiting for multiverses to enter into this 3-part thread series...

Seriously.

Here you go...

I’m forever. Blowing bubbles.

297F145E-3360-4CE1-9CC6-622826EDD324.jpeg

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Isn't it interesting how the mind body Spirit complex is inextricably intertwined?

I may agree with qualification not rooted in any one religious or cultural tradition, , but this lacks context of your original post.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Isn't it interesting how the mind body Spirit complex is inextricably intertwined?
That was nowhere in my science book. The universe is both static and dynamic. If it continues to change as it has always done, then it could be considered static. If you focus on local changes, it is dynamic like the up and down movement of points on a wave. This is science + religion.
Polymat6h may like to explain it scientifically. :)