• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unity in Diversity

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How applicable is this concept for humanity to find a path to unity?

Surprisingly, it is a catch phrase being used across the world now, becoming popular as humanity strives to find a unity in the affairs on mankind.

Where does this concept come from? Well I see it is founded in many faiths.

"Understand that knowledge to be in the mode of goodness by which a person sees one undivided imperishable reality within all diverse living beings." Bhagavad Gita The Song of God 18.20

"Whoso, out of his respect for Spitama Zarathushtra, rejoices in whole humankind, (that man) is worthy of high esteem. May Ahura Mazda grant him long life. May Conscience develop his realms. Rectitude regards him as a good friend." The Avesta
The Hymns of Atharvan Zarathushtra, Yasna, 46:13

"The wise Lord gives to his beloved mankind — to my people, O Lord — the gift of joy which comes from truth and strength. All men will unite in defence of your teaching and in defence of those who are mindful of your hymns." The Avesta Yasna 43:14

“He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye.” — Buddha

“And hold fast all together by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you) and be not divided among yourselves, and remember with gratitude Allah’s favor on you; for ye were enemies and He joined your hearts in love so that by His grace ye became brethren; and ye were on the brink of the pit of fire and He saved you from it. Thus doth Allah make his signs clear to you: that ye may be guided” (Quran, 3:103).

The list would become a book.

So what do you see prevents us embracing a Unity in our Diversity?

f7d04678783aa8c9903e273acd9f850f--kids-poster-around-the-worlds.jpg

Regards Tony

Lain

Surprisingly, it is a catch phrase being used across the world now, becoming popular as humanity strives to find a unity in the affairs on mankind.

"Understand that knowledge to be in the mode of goodness by which a person sees one undivided imperishable reality within all diverse living beings." Bhagavad Gita The Song of God 18.20

"Whoso, out of his respect for Spitama Zarathushtra, rejoices in whole humankind, (that man) is worthy of high esteem. May Ahura Mazda grant him long life. May Conscience develop his realms. Rectitude regards him as a good friend." The Avesta

"The wise Lord gives to his beloved mankind — to my people, O Lord — the gift of joy which comes from truth and strength. All men will unite in defence of your teaching and in defence of those who are mindful of your hymns." The Avesta Yasna 43:14

“He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye.” — Buddha

“And hold fast all together by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you) and be not divided among yourselves, and remember with gratitude Allah’s favor on you; for ye were enemies and He joined your hearts in love so that by His grace ye became brethren; and ye were on the brink of the pit of fire and He saved you from it. Thus doth Allah make his signs clear to you: that ye may be guided” (Quran, 3:103).

View attachment 58182

Regards Tony

I think unity in diversity comes through the Holy Spirit and without Him there is none to be had, and since He is not indwelling in many due to their evil acts unity in diversity is not present.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think unity in diversity comes through the Holy Spirit and without Him there is none to be had, and since He is not indwelling in many due to their evil acts unity in diversity is not present.

I see that is very perceptive.

I would add that I think all people have that capacity, as we are all made in that image, but agree our choices and actions prevent that spirit shining from our own self.

So, how can we in our diversity, bring about the lasting unity that appears to be taught in all Scriptures?

Regards Tony

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

View attachment 58182

Regards Tony
Unity can only occur when or if humanity stop fighting over "who is right" or" what spiritual teaching in the only true teaching" when believers can see that we all seek "the same" but by different forms of teaching, there would no longer be a need for "my belief is better than yours" or " your God is false"

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Unity can only occur when or if humanity stop fighting over "who is right" or" what spiritual teaching in the only true teaching" when believers can see that we all seek "the same" but by different forms of teaching, there would no longer be a need for "my belief is better than yours" or " your God is false"

I agree, I see we need to start living the morals and virtues and accept that we are one people on one planet, appreciating our diversity.

Regards Tony

Lain

I see that is very perceptive.

I would add that I think all people have that capacity, as we are all made in that image, but agree our choices and actions prevent that spirit shining from our own self.

So, how can we in our diversity, bring about the lasting unity that appears to be taught in all Scriptures?

Regards Tony

Such a project requires God-established unity to me, as it says in the Psalms: "Unless the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it. Unless the Lord keep the city, he watcheth in vain that keepeth it."

But yet there is also what St. James, brother of the Lord Jesus, says about establishing unity when he was faced with quarrels and divisions in the Church, while a bit long I have bolded what I consider to be particularly the route of commands he gives for it to be established:

"From where are conflicts and from where are quarrels among you? Is it not from this, from your pleasures that wage war among your members? You desire and do not have; you murder and are filled with envy, and are not able to obtain; you fight and quarrel. (1) You do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, in order that you may spend it on your pleasures.

"Adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that in vain the scripture says, 'The spirit which he caused to dwell in us desires jealously?' But he gives greater grace. Therefore it says, 'God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.'

"Therefore (2) subject yourselves to God. (3) But resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (4) Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. (5) Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded! (6) Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to gloominess. (2.1) Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

"(7) Do not speak evil of one another, brothers. The one who speaks evil of a brother or judges his brother speaks evil of the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge of the law. There is one lawgiver and judge who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?"

Doing these things, founded first on asking the grace of God to do it (first step), is what leads to unity in diversity. I consider the instruction of St. James to be a complete course in the matter. And if one lacks a pure motive to ask with a pure motive this grace, ask even first that it become pure and then ask, for as it says in the Psalms again: "Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity: for the Lord hath heard the voice of my weeping. The Lord hath heard my supplication: the Lord hath received my prayer." This can even be said against your own iniquitous works and desires, telling them to depart, for in asking God to be made pure He begins to do the work right then, so the Psalmist says with confidence "the Lord has received my prayer."

Such is my opinion.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

People unwilling to address the fact that we are only as Strong as our Weakest link(s). There are two ways to deal with it, Communally by lifting those weak links up; or Individualistically by dominating the weak. Only one way is morally appropriate.

Edit: This does not mean one can't be individualistic and develop a sense of personal self, but that must be tempered with helping those they have the capacity to (an extension of Hospitality imo).

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People unwilling to address the fact that we are only as Strong as our Weakest link(s). There are two ways to deal with it, Communally by lifting those weak links up; or Individualistically by dominating the weak. Only one way is morally appropriate.

Edit: This does not mean one can't be individualistic and develop a sense of personal self, but that must be tempered with helping those they have the capacity to (an extension of Hospitality imo).

I see education for all people is paramount for a unity in diversity, to unfold.

A good move may also be an international language to be taught in all schools alongside the mother tongue.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see Unity in our Diversity will come about when humanity as a majority will accept our Oneness.

The day is approaching when all those that worship will come to the realisation that people of other Faiths are sending their prayers to the same One Source.

How easy is that unity? As simple as a change of mind, yet the greatest miracle there is.

Peace and Love to all.

Regards Tony