• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unity church questions?

Riders

Wiki says this church is a cross between new age Christian and Universalism. The way I understand it is they teach the bible, but they don't Jesus as God, they actual beliefs teach he was a prophet not God. But if Christians want to go who believe that its ok.

They also teach a belief in the inner God self or Christ self, they also teach some beliefs from other religions including Zen meditation classes and Yoga and also ACIM A Course In Miracles.

However , on their websight it does claim to be a positive path to Christianity. SO I don't object to their definition except it makes them seem like a liberal Christian church like the United Methodist church which teaches belief in the God man Baptism and all the other Christian church beliefs.

But when I have been in the past they do strike me as being new age which is a good for me.

But my sponsor was going to go to a church service there with me, she took one look at the claims to be Christian on their web sight and freaked out, said it came off as a Christian church.

So I am just wondering what everyone's take on Unity is?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Wiki says this church is a cross between new age Christian and Universalism. The way I understand it is they teach the bible, but they don't Jesus as God, they actual beliefs teach he was a prophet not God. But if Christians want to go who believe that its ok.

They also teach a belief in the inner God self or Christ self, they also teach some beliefs from other religions including Zen meditation classes and Yoga and also ACIM A Course In Miracles.

However , on their websight it does claim to be a positive path to Christianity. SO I don't object to their definition except it makes them seem like a liberal Christian church like the United Methodist church which teaches belief in the God man Baptism and all the other Christian church beliefs.

But when I have been in the past they do strike me as being new age which is a good for me.

But my sponsor was going to go to a church service there with me, she took one look at the claims to be Christian on their web sight and freaked out, said it came off as a Christian church.

I visited them a couple of times. They believe in miracles and prayer. I think one of their influential figures is Mary Eddie Baker who founded Church of Christ, Scientist. I don't remember all of their beliefs. They welcome people of all faiths.

Unity has a very Quakerish sort of feel to it, although its more celebrational and is not based on meetings but has sermons and worship sessions. They believe in God in everyone, which is similar but not the same as the Quaker belief in the Inner Light.

Unity churches have a pastor, often a bookstore and will have prayer chaplins. They'll have various sunday school classes, may have prayer sessions meditation sessions and other kinds of sessions. They will typically be involved in some charitable actions in their community.

Its probably safe to visit. Like I said I've only visited one group of about 150 people, but they seem like Ok people.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

I like them. It is very positive experience, IMO.