• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United Shades OF America

Riders

I first watched the Native Hawaii episode and wasn't that impressed.Then i watched the Sweet Home Alabama episode and liked it better , could relate to some things he was saying.

He did say something that touched me because its a rumor or stereotype people carry about African Americans, my parents actually gave me some info on that proves him right.

He said people ask why African Americans are still upset about slavery because it was so long ago. Then he was talking about his great grand parents cant remember all but said really, said, that in reality slavery was still around not that long in the 1900s!

So that's one reason they are still upset, because it has not been that long ago! That is correct! For some reason, well because the war between the states ended in the 188os. Then the law freed slaves in the 18802 with Lincoln.

What my Mom and Dad and Grandma told me as this. yes a few of them were freed went on got obs and some of them even got rich.

But most of us did not. The majority could not get out of slavery. Some got jobs but for the most part people still did not want to hire African Americans.So my Mom and Dad told me my Grand mothers side of the family had slaves till the 1910's, They said slavery did not really end till the 1920s and 30s.

They said some of them who treated well as slaves,began to get paid to be slaves and it easier for us to keep being a slave especially if they were lucky enough to be treated well, because if we quit they would have starved to death,

Slavery is evil no doubt but we had to survive so they had to do what they could and with out a ob they would die a lot of us........I use the us and we term because I don't believe in separating us, besides with all the horrible slave trading in my ancestry and I am probably partially African American too!

Anyways yea , in the 30's and 40's when African Americans turned to driving a limo for rich folks and servant obs, maid jobs that type of thing, its a probably just a step out of slavery, some Masters just started having slaves be employees and paid them .

So l like some of the stuff he said.

I also related to what he said about his feelings about his grandparents house! Its in a poor side of the city but he never looks down on the neighborhood or looks down his nose at the poor people out there because he has wonderful memories about his Grand Mother.

I am the same way, my Grandmas house was in Oak Cliff a part of Dallas know for gangs and poor people,lot of
immigrants there. lot of people judge it and condescend to it saying its dangerous there's a bunch of crime its yucky and poor.

We were born in Oak Cliff and my parents moved me and my sisters to Mesquite when I was 4. But parts of Oak Cliff are nice and some of it as bad, the area we moved away from close to Stevens Park and Sunset High school
are still really nice and way nicer then the area we live in Mesquite now LOL!
My parents in later years regretted it.

But honestly we are going back to Oak Cliff 3 or 4 times a tear me and my Sisters and parts of Oak Cliff have been recently renovated and really nice nice shopping areas!

We want to go out to eat and back to see my Grandmas house same thing, old poor but we loved it!

But same thing he said about his Grandma who had people come by and visit her a lot is true of my Grandma.
She baby sat a lot of kids out there and when they got older, there was a lot of gang activity out there and he teen age young adult kids who had grown up would come by couple of times a day to watch her protect her check in on her to make sure she was ok!

Some of my relatives in later years wanted her to move away from Oak Cliff because they didn't like teh gangs and all that Mommie Ingram told them off out them in their place for talking bad about Oak Cliff!I am the same way, when someone tells me like my friend the other day a remark about Oak Cliff I am like ' shut up about Oak Cliff!

l

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Some of my relatives in later years wanted her to move away from Oak Cliff because they didn't like teh gangs and all that Mommie Ingram told them off out them in their place for talking bad about Oak Cliff!I am the same way, when someone tells me like my friend the other day a remark about Oak Cliff I am like ' shut up about Oak Cliff!
l

Watched an interesting documentary on gentrification that covers some of what you are saying called "Class Divide" on HBO.